Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

weaning off armour thyroid
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 11, 2008 03:14PM

Hi
Has anyone successfully done this or known of anyone that has on a raw food ( 90% plus) diet?

thanks

lulu

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weaning off armour thyroid
Posted by: jackie ()
Date: June 11, 2008 04:51PM

I've been taking it for as long as I've been mostly raw and green, and no changes for me.

In fact, I'm noticing a bit more hair fallout (no change to diet except to more vigorously avoid cooked food more often), and am making my next appointment to check the levels - I might need to increase it.

Others I've read on this board have mentioned better results, so don't give up hope!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 11, 2008 07:47PM

there is a lot of confusion about thyroid. (I don't know what armour thyroid is by the way - I take levothyroxine)

many people wrongly assume that by taking adequate amounts of iodine all the worlds thyroid problems would be over.

thyroid can be depressed for many reasons and some of these are reversable - hence people's 'success'. However if anti bodies were discovered in your blood test - as in my case - then I don't think it is possible to reverse. For some reason your body has atacked itself. Be careful of listening to people who have a lot to say on the subject but actually know very little. but good luck in your endeavours. I have fought against my diagnosis but now feel that it is better to be accepting and grateful that things aren't a lot worse. don't mean to sound preachy just my way of dealing with it.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: June 11, 2008 07:53PM

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> there is a lot of confusion about thyroid. (I
> don't know what armour thyroid is by the way - I
> take levothyroxine)
>
> many people wrongly assume that by taking adequate
> amounts of iodine all the worlds thyroid problems
> would be over.
>
> thyroid can be depressed for many reasons and some
> of these are reversable - hence people's
> 'success'. However if anti bodies were discovered
> in your blood test - as in my case - then I don't
> think it is possible to reverse. For some reason
> your body has atacked itself. Be careful of
> listening to people who have a lot to say on the
> subject but actually know very little. but good
> luck in your endeavours. I have fought against my
> diagnosis but now feel that it is better to be
> accepting and grateful that things aren't a lot
> worse. don't mean to sound preachy just my way of
> dealing with it.

If anyone is confused... it's you. For taking levothyroxine and not knowing what Armour is. How exactly did you try "fighting it"? Taking T4 only drugs (levothyroxine) can "depress" your thyroid even more. Ever been told your "TSH" is normal while you still have hypo symptoms?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2008 08:00PM by LikeItOrNot.

Date: June 11, 2008 07:57PM

As for weaning off of Armour, some people have done it. But I think it depends on how far gone your thyroid is and how long you've been on Armour or other meds. The longer you're on Thyroid meds, the more your thyroid stops working which is why people keep going "up" in dosages instead of down.

Research "iodine" the reason so many people have low thyroid is because they're iodine deficient. Iodine is in things like Spinach, Wheatgrass, Kelp. There's a forum on it on Curezone.com with info.

Date: June 13, 2008 07:32PM

Likeitornot

it would be usefu;l if you would say what Armour is please - it's not a term I have come across in the uk.

Your tone is rather abrupt - we are here to learn and I would appreciate it if you would explain your comments in more detail.

thank you

Armour is a natural thyroid....
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: June 13, 2008 09:11PM

Levithroid and Synthroid are synthetic hormones. From all I"ve studied, it is the synthetic hormones that ultimately cause your thyroid to atrophy because they take over it's roll. Natural thyroid, as I understand it, does not.

Date: June 14, 2008 04:50AM

thanks piano gal

What is natural thyroid. I've heard that an alternative to synthetic thyroid is pigs thyroid taken in some way - I really don't want that. any information on this topic would be appreciated. I'd love to hope that I could get my thyroid working properly again. I suppose I 've had so much info to the contary that I'd rather given up hope.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: June 14, 2008 09:02AM

i think it depends how much armour you are taking.
i think your body still needs thyroxine even on raw.
you can try supplements kelp/tyrosine to reduce your dose, but you have to be careful about this!

Date: June 15, 2008 02:28AM

Flipper, that's funny because I didn't like your "tone" either which is probably why mine came out "abrupt". Yours was vague and discouraging to anyone looking for info. You tell me to explain when you vaguely say you "fought" yours? Umm ok.

Yes, "Armour" is a "natural" thyroid med because it's made out of pig hormones unlike the rest which are made in a chemical lab. The Armour/Natural thyroid contains traces of T2, T1, T3, etc. Unlike Synthroid which is nothing but fake T3. For those that really are stuck taking medication for thyroid, pig hormones is as natural as they're going to get. Synthroid causes more problems in the long run..such as weakening your adrenals so you eventually get "adrenal fatigue".

You might want to read up on this website and see if any of it sounds like you.
[www.stopthethyroidmadness.com]

Do you still have "symptoms" that you don't like but your doctor tells you your "TSH" or "Thyroid" is normal because of your blood tests? Your "antibody" condition isn't that unique or rare. Doctors are just stupid.
[www.stopthethyroidmadness.com] If you can relate to anything on that website, you'll find the answers you're looking for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2008 02:32AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: June 15, 2008 10:03AM

I'm in a pickle-
i am having a problem with a thyroid diagnosis-

BLOOD TESTS
TSH- very low
T4- borderline low
T3- towards the upper range level
ANTIBODIES- high

My hospital endo says i'm borderline HYPERactive.
My private thyroid Dr(supposed to be one of the best alternative thyroid Dr's)says I'm HYPOthyroid with Hashimoto's, and low adrenal reserve. He has me on adrenal glandular supplements and wants me to take Armour. I don't want to take Armour cos I'm not sure what's the problem is...

Im thinking of getting an lab test that measures T3/T4 in 24 hour urine test. This is expensive. I could get an expensive adrenal test too. No guarantee that i'll get a definite result either.

Any similar experiences or suggestions?

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 16, 2008 04:17AM

I have my own personal experience with thyroid meds and weaning off of them. My only advice is going to be for you to decide if you want to keep your health in your own hands or if you are willing to give it over to someone else.

If you want to keep it in your own hands, then you need to do some work and research, but it's not that difficult really. First go to curezone.com or curezone.org both are the same, and then go to the Iodine Supplementation Forum and start reading the FAQ's, the RRR posts, the forum (leave the junk you don't like, off topic subjects and videos) and bookmark all the Iodine supplementation Dr.'s listed as they have the best info. especially Dr. Abrahams. Read and learn, and apply what you want. There are lots of holistic options.

Here is an excellent link also for your information to get you started. [newswithviews.com]

If you think it thru, there is logic in getting your thyroid functioning with the raw material it needs and not a Western version in a pill. Why do people think pills are magic? They come from some place and it seems to me it always start with some old remedy that we once could get for free, or from our pantry, or herb gardens. Why do you think the Big Pharmaceutical companies send people to look for new plants, species in the Amazon and other exotic places? So they can make the next big killing in $$$ at our expense and our health and sometimes our lives.

You might also think of finding and working with a certified herbalist. You might find referrals at the Oregon College of Oriental Medicine website. Or you can email them and ask about graduating students, etc.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: June 16, 2008 04:51AM

There is a lot of false info in this thread. 'Fake' T3 = Cytomel, not Synthroid, thats ';fake' T4.

WHether the thyroid stops working doesn't have anything to do whether the thyroid med you take is synthetic or not. Depending on what the reason for the hormone shortage is, the gland can come back or not, even after years of taking synthetic or natural hormones.

The adrenal testing is crucial to get the right meds, I highly encourage it (spit test, ordered through Doc from Diagnos-tec or sim, not too expensive)

I would, as has been said here, recommend to go to stopthethyroidmadness.com and read up. Join the yahoo group that is recommended at that site. Folks are very knowledgeable there. Doctors do NOT know much about this condition, in general, and tend to rely on outdated tests while failing to run reliable ones. self education is KEY.

To answer your question, I am on a low dose of Armour and Cytomel and am trying to reduce, but with not good results, high raw not withstanding. But I wont give up!

Good luck!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables