Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Competitive figure/bodybuilding
Posted by: sapphire33 ()
Date: March 06, 2008 06:07PM

I am a figure competitor and have been doing so for a few years. I am off right now and not in pre-season training, but I am starting to get the itch to be back up on stage and participate in my much loved sport. I have recently started going raw (currently around 75-80%). I am concerned! I really would like to focus on when I could compete again, but I am really enjoying my transistion to raw and I know what training entails!!! I am restricted from so much. Does anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions on how I can train and continue to build/keep myself looking cut and stage worthy????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Competitive figure/bodybuilding
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 08, 2008 05:45PM

I don't have any problem staying lean and cut but it's very difficult for me to gain muscle. I experimented with high and low protein and high protein is better for me when I want to be more muscular. I use Nutribiotic rice protein powder. I also had to eat about 500 kcal per day more than usual (green juice in the AM before morning workout, protein shake with fruit before afternoon workout in additional to my enormously bulky f+v diet), concentrating on basic movements (squats, chins, dips) and not too much cardio.

Date: March 08, 2008 06:06PM

Interesting, Arugula! I starting by eliminating my protein supplements because they are not raw and I am getting softer. I am thinning, but I am concerned it is more muscle mass. At first, I thought it was my imagination, however, I know my body and, yep, I was right smiling smiley Any clue as to what is the best raw protein to use? I was looking at the hemp protein powder, but I have never used it, or even heard of it. Any experience with the protein powders?

Posted by: veganathlete ()
Date: March 08, 2008 08:59PM

I am not a bodybuilder but I am a collegiate soccer player. When I first went 100% raw about 6 or 7 months ago I lost a lot of muscle. It was very hard to keep up with training. I even used the hemp protein powder which helped kind of. I stopped taking that though and just tried to give my body the rest and time it needed to heal. I know it still needs time to heal but I am back into training (preseason) now and it seems as if I am building muscle faster than I have ever done in the past. Also I am in tons better shape and have not worked out nearly as much. I do however make sure that I eat nut/seeds (about a cup normally) or an avocado daily. I know someone (i think Bryan) made a post on this forum about the muscle we build with the SAD protein are actually toxins so when you go raw the body will start removing all toxins (muscle mass) (it was something like that...lol). Well i hope this helps and good luck ;-)

Date: March 08, 2008 09:22PM

I think hemp is the best one but it is very expensive, only 37% protein and at least $10/lb which is why I use rice protein, 80% protein. It's processed below 110 degrees F. I also juice greens which gives another 10 g of proteins and I still have a serving or two of cooked beans.

When I dropped these I lost the muscle that I gained and I lost energy, too. I found that I need to eat more of everything, not just protein, to be able to maintain my muscle and strength gains.

Date: March 10, 2008 11:58AM

I have been reading a lot about Hemp protein and I was curious to see how it compared. I was tempted to buy some, but you are right, it is expensive and I did not want to just buy on a whim. I am curious about the rice protein. I will have to check it out. That is interesting about the toxin topic that Veganathlete was talking about. I guess I get worried when I start to see something happening to my body that is a negative in my mind smiling smiley I want to fix it immediately..LOL. Perhaps, if I continue and allow my body to adjust, I will begin to see the strength gains and cuts???? I am definately going to check out the proteins. Thanks so much for the advice!

Date: March 11, 2008 01:26PM

Yeah, you have to decide exactly how much muscle you really want to pack on your body and live with; it will require more calories and generate more waste, even if it's totally raw and clean.

There's a balance. We do need some, to fight sarcopenia and to have strong healthy bones. But we don't need too much; we won't live as long.

There is a woman in her 80s who goes to the gym every day. She was competing in her 70s. She still passes the bikini test, and I think she looks better and healthier with her muscle and a bit of fat than she would if she were bone thin. Her name is Morjorie Newlin and you can google for her pics. She is one of my idols because I want to look that good and be that healthy when I am her age. I know that she has some interest in raw (a consultation with Roe Gallo) but I am not sure if she is totally raw or vegan, even.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables