Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

cirrhosis of the liver
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 26, 2008 04:31AM

HIYA!

There's a monk at this temple where I live who has cirrhosis. His belly is huge. The only time the size of his belly goes down is when he goes in to the hospital to have the fluid from his belly pumped out. I don't know what's in there that gets his belly so big but it's a real burden for him. He says that lots of Koreans (I'm living in Korea) die from cirrhosis.

He's eating mostly raw foods but his belly is still huge. I don't know the details of what he eats. And I don't know the details of the rest of his day, I don't know what he does all day. But I do believe that he does lots of really healthful things.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of someone using whatever - foods or anything else - to beat cirrhosis of the liver. I always thought this was a disease brought on by drinking alcohol. Now I suppose this isn't the only way to get it.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cirrhosis of the liver
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 26, 2008 05:41AM

Does he know for sure he has cirrosis? That usually the liver rotting while you are still alive right? Is he drinking heavily? Pretty gross for him. Big bellies gross me out because its @#$%& that wont come out.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 26, 2008 09:39AM

cirrhosis, they have discovered can now be caused by being grossly overweight.

the liver can store masses of fat which can in the end lead to cirrhosis(so it is possible to get cirrhosis without drinking a drop)

the good news is that even a really fatty liver can be restored to health by drastic diet changes - i.e cutting out all saturated fat etc. etc.

Unfortunately as far as I know once the liver has cirrhosis it cannot be cured, it has gone to far.

I imagine the monk became ill to this extreme before he embraced his healthy eating habits and it maybe that now he cannot be helped, sadly.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 26, 2008 12:04PM

Can't judge another man. But if he wants to lose the gut...and heal for real...my opinion is that he should drink pure water, exercise (like a daily hour walk), sunbathe, massage his gut, do yoga....and fast on water or light juice until his condition heals itself. This is just my opinion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: February 27, 2008 01:50AM

The man has been a monk for more than 20 years. He's not fat, hasn't been a drinker while he's been a monk (or, at least, I strongly FEEL that he hasn't been). The stuff in his gut isn't @#$%&. It's liquid that isn't coming out. People at the hospital drain it. He looks much better afterwards. I feel so sorry for him. He's a good guy. Apparently he's done some things "wrong". And who doesn't? We've talked about fasting. He nearly did it once. But I have a feeling that he's not emotionally up to it. He does yoga, massage, meditation, breathing exercises and I don't know what else to heal himself. I don't know what's going on. Just thought I'd fish around on this site for a couple of ideas. Thanks for your ideas and comments.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 27, 2008 01:55AM

Sounds like ascites. Check out:

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.google.com]

I hope they have tested him for HAV, HBV, and HCV. All three can be treated with varying success.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:09AM

Troy, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. My heart hurts for him. I'll keep him in prayer. Please keep us up with how he's doing. Or at least in my Private Messages, okay?

Posted by: shane ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:37AM

When he goes to the hospital, have they ever done an ultrasound?

Posted by: Dada ()
Date: March 08, 2008 05:33PM

dandelion root tea to cleanse the liver and gall blader. dandelion leaf increases water removal. he can eat fresh leaves, make juice, or dry as a tea. it is effective in small or large doses. oregon grape root and burdock are good as well.

all the best and good luck!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 08, 2008 06:18PM

An expert is Dr. Sandra Cabot and here's her website..much info. here.

[www.liverdoctor.com]

I believe it's not too late for him to heal, but he must take his health in his own hands, and start using the correct methods for him to do that. He's relying on Dr.'s that can only pump out the fluid after its accumulation.

I hope he and you can find the right combination to help him heal himself.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 14, 2008 06:32PM

He has ascites (serous fluid in the abdominal cavity), often secondary to cirrhosis of the liver- this is quite probable. Black pepper, a toxin can be a contributing factor, it can harden the liver faster than alcohol. A "healthy" diet as we know, can mean many things. He has the fluid drained for palliative reasons only, so that he is more comfortable, and it will fill right back up again. His liver for whatever reason has been unable to rid the body of toxins fast enough. When our bodies take in toxins faster than we can excrete them, disease occurs.

Yes, this is difficult to see. Ascites affects breathing, digestion, creates lower back pain, and fatigue ensues from carrying the extra weight.

He would find some comfort at this point following strict Natural Hygiene principles, along with emotional release work, as liver ailments are associated with deep rooted anger. I've seen this often. Unless he makes some changes, there is only a certain amount of time his physical body will withstand this state. However, we can only plant the seeds, as everyone has their own path. We can then just hold the vision/thought of their (and our) healing.

They wouldn't usually do the paracentesis (fluid drain) without an ultrasound as it is a surgical procedure, and it helps to ensure efficient placement of the drain.

If we cannot eat a substance as an entire meal, it is something our body must expel, causing more work on our eliminative organs.

Be well, trust. I will hold the space of love and compassion for him and you.

Johanna Zee, RN, NHP
www.rawzee.com

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 16, 2008 03:08AM

Oh dear..I love black pepper..I really am going to do some serious research on it now though. I heard it was a 'dirty' condiment..whatever that means. Off to research it now. Thanks for that heads up.

Love,
Prism

Date: March 16, 2008 05:04AM

I'm going to print these responses and explain to the monk as well as I can. I've never heard of ascites. But I'll look over the pages with the links. The Dr. Sandra Cabot one and the ascites ones. I don't know what the HAV HBV and the HCV are but I suppose they're the hepatitis types. I'll ask if he's been tested. I have no idea. A few days ago I asked if he has had ultrasounds done. He said he's had many done.

I saw him this morning. He looked good. But that's only because he had the fluid drained.

Thanks so much everyone. I'm glad I asked this question to the group.

I myself have been absent from the forum for some time now. I haven't ditched raw foods or even all of you. I'm just busy with other things. Plus getting on the internet isn't as convenient as it was when I wasn't living at the temple. I had my own apartment and so many things were more convenient.

Again, I'm super grateful for all of your responses.

Time to research, and print.
Thanks much, Troy

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: March 18, 2008 12:50AM

Yes, Troy those are:

Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Hepatitis C

All three can be treated with varying success. As with anything, the earlier the treatment, the better chance at recovery.

Please read

[www.cdc.gov]

Good luck.

Lee

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables