Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Peripheral neuropathy
Posted by: skywatcher ()
Date: March 26, 2008 01:41PM

I recently had a Herpes simplex infection on a finger and have since gradually developed numbness and tingling of both hands and feet. I have been diagnosed with a peripheral sensory neuropathy--no conventional treatment available. Am eating 80-90% raw and just started taking alpha-lipoic acid. Any other suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Peripheral neuropathy
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 27, 2008 10:13PM

yes. check this page out: [www.earthclinic.com]

B vitamin deficiency?

Date: March 28, 2008 03:13PM

Thank you, Maui! This site looks very helpful.

I had a B-12 deficiency years ago when I was eating close to 100% raw vegan diet and have been taking oral methylcobalamin (B-12) ever since with good results. Probably should get my level rechecked as it's been awhile. Also, probably a good idea to take a supplement with other B vitamins as well.

Another remedy I'm planning to try is oral Hypericum (St. John's Wort) extract. An herbalist friend told me last night that he has had good results using this for neuropathy

Arlene

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: April 04, 2008 01:55AM

What was the criteria that your herbalist friend used to decide to use St. John's Wort? Peripheral sensory neuropathy is a symptom caused by any of a multitude of various etiologies.
One herb doesn't fit all.

Just a wild guess here. Have you been tested for Celiac disease or other disorders that affect nutritional absorption?

Date: April 12, 2008 04:09PM

Hi Hyldemoer,

Thank you for your input. Sorry about the delay in responding. I hadn't checked this forum for awhile.

My herbalist friend is also an acupuncturist and made the recommendation of St. John's Wort based on his experience.

I was tested for Celiac Disease a few years ago. Am currently being tested for some other autoimmune conditions. The neuropathy does seem to be slowly getting better.

Arlene

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: April 14, 2008 08:02PM

skywatcher Wrote:

> My herbalist friend is also an acupuncturist and
> made the recommendation of St. John's Wort based
> on his experience.

An acupuncturist trained in Asian an tradition of acupuncture and he made the suggestion based of reading your pulse, checking your tongue, et cetera?

Did he share the results of his assessment using Asian technical terms describing the eitiology? besides acknowledging the physical symptom of what's going on?

I'm surprised he suggested a Simple (one herb used at a time). Herbal traditions coming out of Asia tend to use multiple herbs at a time to balance out each other.

Date: April 15, 2008 03:42AM

Hi again,

The herbal suggestion wasn't based on a full assessment as my friend lives in another state. He is very experienced in using Western herbs (over 30 years).

Anyway, I only took the St. John's Wort for a few days because I became concerned about possible interactions with other supplements/herbs.

Arlene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables