Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The "No Poo" experiment.
Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: April 27, 2008 08:52PM

I'm on day 3 of my "no poo" experiment and so far my hair looks good. By now, I thought I would already be noticing the "funky no poo doo" others have reported. My hair looks wavier and I have no offensive smell according to my daughter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The "No Poo" experiment.
Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: April 27, 2008 11:00PM

What is the "No Poo" experiment?

Date: April 27, 2008 11:22PM

"No poo" is short for no shampoo. You don't use any hair products. You simply wash your hair using water or some no pooers use an occassional baking soda wash.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 27, 2008 11:33PM

oh okay... i'm glad u explained it cuz otherwise, it sounded pretty bad LOL smiling smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 28, 2008 12:15AM

I've been no-poo for at least a month, and the only thing I get occasionally are compliments! =D

It's fun if I go to bed with damp hair, because when I wake up, it's so soft and fluffy, nothing to weigh it down.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: April 28, 2008 12:36AM

I am also doing this. Ill do my first no poo wash tommorow

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: April 28, 2008 01:32AM

Posted by: mira ()
Date: April 28, 2008 01:52AM

hmmm... it is probably the best way to keep hair healthy and shiny, the natural oils in the scalp are so important...

Unfortunatly, i cant experiment that ... I have 3 1/2 feet long dreadlocks, so I would smell funky if i wouldnt wash...smiling smiley

Date: April 28, 2008 02:54AM

does it work with long hair?

my hair is fairly long

it goes more than half way down my back

so i was wondering if it works better with just shorter more manageable hair

my hair is straight but if i don't brush it out, it can get wild an unruly though not curly

what do you do for your hair?

do u just put water only?

i have a natural herbal ( no parabens) shampoo/conditioner i use

not sure if i can hang with nothing... but still curious

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: April 28, 2008 03:16AM

i'm also curious about this..

does anyone have any experience with long curly hair?
i have long very curly hair and the only way i can get the tangles out is in the shower with conditioner in it. without conditioner i don't know how i would get them out! my hair would dread in about a week!

Date: April 28, 2008 03:35AM

I have long,thickish, wavy hair. It works great but you do have to spend extra time rinsing with water. I'm determined to NOT use any baking soda because it might over dry my hair causing me to over produce oils to compensate.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: April 28, 2008 05:03AM

What's crazy about this, is that some of us (myself included) saw the title "no poo" and wondered if someone was actually going to try to NOT use the toilet. Ha Ha I had this sinking feeling that some guru had gotten a wild hair up his butt and published a book about avoiding the toilet, and I was like, how many years are we going to have this subject keep popping up and being being debated.

What a relief to read it was shampoo. Rawfoodists kind of blend into other groups sometimes like breatharians and urine therapy so if anyone was going to try "no poo" it would be us (or the constipated SADers).

Date: April 28, 2008 05:55AM

When I first heard of "no poo," I thought the same thing.

I've been reading the experiences of others who have tried it. Very interesting.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: April 28, 2008 07:13AM

yeah what a relief it referred to shampoo

i prefer calling shampoo

shampoo

for that reason alone

LOL smiling smiley !

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: April 28, 2008 12:00PM

I have been about 4 months with no shampoo or conditioner or hair products.

My hair is long and thick and curly, and I love not using shampoo.
It does require more washes a week and i have to stand under the water for a bit longer than usual, but it doesn't bother me as much as I'd thought.

--------------------------------------------------

[www.azurastorch.blogspot.com]

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 28, 2008 12:22PM

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was a new fiberless diet. HeeHee

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 29, 2008 07:05AM

I will have to try this! The Daily Mail article was interesting. It makes sense that shampoo might not be helpful, since it washes away natural oils. My hairdresser says you should shampoo every other day, but even this might be overkill.

Date: April 29, 2008 02:34PM

I hope my hair looks better today than it did yesterday. I usually brush with a boar bristle brush before I shower and yesterday I skipped that step. I think the boar brush removes quite a bit of the oils and distributes it to the ends so skipping this kept my hair a lot more oilier than I would have wanted. Or maybe it's that natural transition build up that others reported that is happening. If so, most said it only lasted 6 weeks. I'll just wear my hair up until then. LOL

Posted by: Haida ()
Date: April 29, 2008 02:55PM

I am on day 4 of no shampoo/ conditioner (and no body soap). So far so good; I have long (waist length) wavy hair, that I thought needed conditioner. I guess the conditioner was needed only after stripping the natural oils with shampoo.

Date: April 29, 2008 03:21PM

It's strange that we accept the stripping of oil with shampoo and then replacing it with conditioner as "normal." For years, that's bascially what I did. I would strip, replace, strip, replace. Hehehe I feel silly for having done it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 29, 2008 03:57PM

how often are you guys rinsing your hair? i only wash it once a week or less as it is very curly and dry already, i wonder if rinsing it more would make it even more dry? i'll have to experiement this summer.

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: April 29, 2008 04:00PM

the most recent pic of me - 4 months no shampoo.
my mother is holding my hair up - she's a fan of my no shampooed locks ! : ))

--------------------------------------------------

[www.azurastorch.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 30, 2008 04:15PM

i've been 'no poo' for so long now that i can't keep up- i tried commerical shampoo once over christmas and it KILLED my hair- limp and dry and struggling to even curl.

so i have 'long' hair now (i shaved it three years ago, and before that it was hip length- so i just now realized it counts as long when it's past my shoulder blades)- very curly- and i do use occasional salt water or rosemary tea rinses, i don't shampoo or condition. i used to think it would go to dreads, but it started making oil (i NEVER thought this would happen, before i would use regular conditioner as leave in b/c my hair was so dry).

here's some pics with my hair in it- the last two are from a year ago when i first started and both are freshly dried/drying

peace-

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: April 30, 2008 04:48PM

mama cass, my hair is curly like yours!

do you ever comb it out?
if yes, do you do it wet or dry?

Date: April 30, 2008 05:03PM

My hair will get curly if it dries under the right conditions, and I found brushing it totally kills the curl.

So I bought a wide-toothed shower comb and it seems to be happier now. =)

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 30, 2008 05:18PM

i use an olive wood ethiopian hair pick, or another pick made for curly hair (african styling tools can be very useful). but i only do this once or twice a week. the rest of the time i let it run wild.

usually i comb it dry, then wet it with my hands and the sink until the curls unify.

used to do wet combing, but heard it wasn't good. but i always wet it after picking. i never brush- i look like a couple of squirrels crawled on my head and froze when i do that. not attractive.

this is a pic of our curly family before my husband got his spring shearing- he taught me a lot about curly hair care.

peace-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2008 05:27PM by Mama Cass.

Date: April 30, 2008 05:33PM

I'll try combing before instead of after showering--I know I look great if I just go to bed and do nothing at all after washing, it's also when my hair is curliest.

Date: April 30, 2008 07:07PM

I was expecting my hair to look oily and gross but yesterday and today, my hair just look healthy and clean.

Does anyone know if boars are killed to make boar bristle brushes or are their bristles just harvested from living boars? I thought they might be like porcupine quills or bird feathers that replenish themselves. I can't find anything on the net about that.

Edited to say:
I found a site that says, "Respect for the earth's creatures.
No boars are harmed in the process. In fact we never touch them. Boars naturally shed their bristles and the mature bristles are then collected off the ground."

Okay, so now I feel better about using a boar bristle brush and can encourage anyone doing "no poo" to brush with one before bathing. It makes a big difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2008 07:13PM by roxeli.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 30, 2008 07:16PM

Wow. You guys have inspired me!! I only wash my hair once or twice a week but now I am going to try to go without ever washing. It is much like yours mama cass, but not quite as curly. My hair is very dry. My daughter has very oily hair and she is thinking about the no poo experiment for herself.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: April 30, 2008 11:14PM

Ive done 2 "no poo" washes now and I have short hair. It is a little greassy but not too bad. I think it will subside eventually, im also really just starting on raw. I think when we regularly eat junk foods that alot of extra junk is sent out of the hair pores. When raw the extra oils should slow down is my theory.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables