Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

bed bugs etc in used furniture?
Posted by: dinesh75 ()
Date: July 31, 2008 03:09PM

Hey guys,

A few of my colleagues have warned me that there could be bed bugs in the used furniture and once they get in, it is very difficult to get em out. I live in the DC area. How true do you think this is?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bed bugs etc in used furniture?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 31, 2008 06:56PM

gotta say, that sounds sort of biased to me. unless your friend has direct experience with that? never heard of it happening myself.

nearly all of my furniture is second hand, all the furniture we had growing up was second hand, the thrift shop my friend volunteers at has roomsfull of furniture moving through it weekly and i have never encountered or heard of a problem like that.

if your worried about it it might be worth it to look up how long that sort of insect can live without a host animal present. if may be that they die without a steady supply of fresh blood anyhow.

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: July 31, 2008 08:24PM

There's a bed bug infestation thing going on. The speculation is that its a result of rapid international travel.

The hotel trade has been hit hard by it and has been using lots more pesticides the past couple of years least customers take home unwanted hitch hikers in their bed clothing.
There have been lawsuits.

Date: July 31, 2008 09:58PM

coco, bedbugs can live upto an year without a host! that is a long time. they are very tough critters and that's why it seems to be very difficult to get rid of them, once afflicted. That's why I am concered. I think it might be fairly safe to buy only wooden/metal objects such as a dining table. But maybe I should buy sofa bed etc new?

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 01, 2008 12:53AM

i thought we all had/have creepy crawlers in our beds which feed off our skin and whatnot?
patty

Date: August 01, 2008 03:05AM

eww, maybe we do but they are small enough that they don't bother us. bedbugs are another story entirely, like people fleas. bitey and not very nice at all i hear. and a year, whew, that is a long time to live without a host. yikes.

still, my couch and several chairs are from the thrift store and no problems. i have heard of the problem in hotels but it seems fairly isolated to them. would you not be able to tell before you bought something? they are big enough to see with the naked eye.

Date: August 01, 2008 01:53PM

Coco, they are big enough to be seen but they are flat enought to hide in all the nooks and crannies of any furniture piece! if I get them in the house once, I am doomed!

ugh, what a dilemma. I was all planning to finish buying the furniture within a week. *sigh*

Date: August 01, 2008 02:45PM

it's worth it to ask at the thrift store if they have ever had a problem. maybe look up online how to check for them too.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 04, 2008 05:03PM

I heard that if you place those things into plastic sealed bags and keep air tight for at least 30 days they die and then you vacuum, or wash and hot dryer also kills them.

I think that if one is getting bitten and they know it, then dump that piece or seal up the stuffed animal, or whatever it is..or wash and dry on high heat until completely dry. Air drying in sunshine also may help, as well as using clorox or borax.

Now, I know you can't get rid of toxic molds as easily..and once inside your body/brain/organs..that us a tough thing..I'm doing pretty good though considering where I started from.

Love,
Prism

Date: August 04, 2008 05:21PM

All right, I am pretty much ready to buy a fabric sofa. I am just concerned about the smells from the cooking etc. How do I know that the sofa I am buying is good and won't smell when I take it home?

Thanks.

Date: August 04, 2008 06:41PM

smell it! it's not going to change once it gets to your house.

you can do a once over with your vacuum cleaner too, that will get out lots of dust and such. or wack if all over outside to get rid of dust, the whole thing and the cushions separately.

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: August 26, 2008 05:57PM

I guess bedbugs have a really sweet smell, so if you walk into a hotel room and the bed/room smells really sweet, BEWARE, bedbugs!
This might be harder to identify in someones house. I can just imagine the craigslist senario, you are ready to buy a sofa but you have to do a thorough "smelling" before purchase, ah, I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables