Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Redo kitchen in Bamboo
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 25, 2009 11:53AM

We are soon going to be re-doing the entire kitchen, & are looking for a healthy alternative to the common building materials that are normally used. Being a handyman type, I can do all the work myself, so the labor cost will not be an issue.

We have been researching different materials and have come across Bamboo for use as counter tops & cabinets. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this material, the finishing process, and how it holds up to moisture & everyday use?

I have read some of this info. on the various suppliers websites, but I would like to get feedback from any owners out there. It really looks like it makes for a beautiful finish, & I am anxious to go with it if there are no major drawbacks to it.

The only real experience I have had with Bamboo is fishing poles when I was a kid, and maybe a cutting board or two...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Redo kitchen in Bamboo
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 25, 2009 03:30PM

im curious too smiling smiley we are renovating an 1970 built home and EVERYTHINGS eventually coming out lol smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 26, 2009 12:40AM

Just an update:

No local suppliers in my area stock Bamboo, it is something I will have to special order if I decide to go with it. Also, I am noticing that some companies, not all use "regular" glues that may contain formaldehyde or other resins that will "off-gas".

It is my intention to do this right, with no off-gassing building materials, even including the type of caulk/sealing materials used. So anyone considering a project like this will want to keep that in mind.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 26, 2009 12:46AM

juicerkatz,

I'd recommend bamboo, teak, or recycled wood for the cabinets, and recycled glass or composite cement[a mix of cement and recycled paper scraps]for the countertops. Sealed bamboo is pretty resistant to humidity, so it would work well for cabinets. It's also knife-friendly, so you might do a segment of the countertop out of bamboo as a "butcher block," for food prep. An entire counter of bamboo, however, might be hard to maintain over time, as it needs to be oiled just like a cutting board to keep it healthy. I'd just advise staying away from granite. It's not really foodsafe, and its mining is questionable. I am planning on majah, majah green renovations here in the next few years, and I'm amazed at how much innovative eco-safe material is marketed every year, so keep researching. And have a Happy Remod!

Date: June 26, 2009 12:54AM

what is majah green renovations?smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 26, 2009 01:07AM

Jgunn,

"Majah" is "major" without Queen's elocution : ) It's pronounced : m-a-y-j-a-h

That's my streetness coming out, such as it is. Slang just doesn't work in writing sometimes, eh?

Date: June 26, 2009 01:13AM

lol no sometimes it doesnt work lol

i thought it was some new funky green style of reno's tongue sticking out smiley i tried googling it but only got some info on some muslim cleric preist LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2009 01:13AM by Jgunn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables