Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Insurance Company Targets Michael Moore's 'Sicko'
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 11, 2009 03:26PM

Just watched the preview of this Bill Moyers interview about what the most powerful medical insurance company did to try to discredit Michael Moore's movie, 'Sicko,' and to make it impossible for Democrats to implement a single payer healthcare system. Even the preview is a real eye-opener. The interview will be on the Bill Moyers show tonight at 9pm-- check for local times.

BILL MOYERS JOURNAL | Preview: Wendell Potter pt 2 | PBS
[www.youtube.com]

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Insurance Company Targets Michael Moore's 'Sicko'
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 11, 2009 10:37PM

Thanks for posting, Kwan.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 12, 2009 02:28AM

I agree....thank you Kwan. I'm one of those 47 million
uninsured, but with me it's a personal choice.
I don't have any smoke-detectors in my house either. That would
imply that there might be smoke....I don't want to think that way....WY

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: July 12, 2009 12:16PM

WY -

No smoke detectors? I am all for personal choice, but I feel that is a personal "must have" device; For example, We heat with wood, and use CO & smoke detectors. You just never know...

Not condemning your choice, but just curious as to why you don't use them?

Date: July 12, 2009 04:02PM

>I agree....thank you Kwan. I'm one of those 47 million
uninsured, but with me it's a personal choice.
I don't have any smoke-detectors in my house either. That would
imply that there might be smoke....I don't want to think that way....WY<

I know just how you feel, WY. If I didn't live in Massachusetts, where I will get PENALIZED (!!) if I don't have insurance, I definitely would not have health insurance. However, we have 'faux' universal healthcare here in MA, and if you don't partake, they take away your state tax return. :-/ So I sign up for the danged thing, but don't go to the doctors. Luckily, my income is so low that my healthcare is free; a lot of other people in MA have to pay premiums and co-pays under the 'universal healthcare' plan we have here.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 12, 2009 04:04PM

Re. smoke detectors--- if I took ours out, we'd get evicted from our apartment complex. We have an inspection every year to make sure ours are connected and working.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 12, 2009 05:27PM

kwan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Re. smoke detectors--- if I took ours out, we'd
> get evicted from our apartment complex. We have an
> inspection every year to make sure ours are
> connected and working.
That's different!! My philosophy tells me not to
have smoke detectors, Doctors, insurance, TV, etc. To have them
impels one to use them. I'm not ready to give up my Computer....
maybe some day!!....WY
P.S. BTW Katz...Doesn't heating with wood put pollutants into the air?

Date: July 12, 2009 11:20PM

"P.S. BTW Katz...Doesn't heating with wood put pollutants into the air?"

I suppose it is...but isn't powering your house & pc with elect. polluting the environment via. Nuclear energy?

Date: July 12, 2009 11:27PM

Here's the complete interview:

[www.pbs.org]

By way of explanation (one might wonder why I care about healthcare if I don't partake of it myself), it's because I think it's a crime against the people that the right to healthcare (however flawed it may be!) is only for those who can afford it, and millions go without any at all, or have to choose between medical expenses and food. Of course, you and I would choose food any day over medicine or medical procedures, but I have compassion for friends of mine who are entering their golden years with no knowledge of natural health, who now are very sick and relying on supplements and medicines, as well as slowly changing their diets for the better. We live in a culture that makes it very hard for people to learn how to take care of themselves. I could be self-righteous and say "Well, I'm doing it, so what's wrong with everybody else?", but I don't feel that's right. I was lucky that I learned through physical adversity at a young age that the healthcare system is not to be relied on, and so I started trying to find a better, more natural way to live when I was young, because I was so sick. A lot of my friends have been (superficially) healthy all their lives, so they never knew they were in trouble until they hit their 50s or 60s, and then, 'boom!' -- diabetes, heart problems, digestive problems, all sorts of stuff.

I grieve at the coldness and mean-spiritedness of our society, where so many are prevented from pursuing health and well-being, both by lack of access to the healchare system, and by the way that the culture suppresses information about natural health.

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: July 20, 2009 12:08PM

burning hard woods for heat is more than polution, it is the destruction of habitat!
burning wood for heat cant substain, hardwoods are taking a cut in #s world wide
On Moores movie, its a suprise to me he was able to even find a Canadian firm
produce it, in this land of demockercys he was almost snuffed and could not find
a production Co. no surprise here.

Date: July 20, 2009 04:47PM

riverhousebill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> burning hard woods for heat is more than polution,
> it is the destruction of habitat!
> burning wood for heat cant substain, hardwoods are
> taking a cut in #s world wide
> On Moores movie, its a suprise to me he was able
> to even find a Canadian firm
> produce it, in this land of demockercys he was
> almost snuffed and could not find
> a production Co. no surprise here.

Yes & no... In my case, I own 20 acres of woodland, & I only use the fallen/dead trees for firewood. There is plenty of those, no need to cut down living timber. I am not for the type of harvesting that "land rapists" engage in however, as that is leading to the destruction of the habitat.

Many large logging companies are realizing the destruction that has happened and now take a very proactive approach to this. The tree farms that they harvest from are quite amazing. Everything planted in rows, similar to cornfields.

When they harvest, they plant new trees in order to ensure continuation of the forests. I guess it is all in how you look at something. In heating w/ elect., the Nuclear waste produced in the process lasts for years upon years, has to be buried in a condemned site, and when the reactor/plant ends its' lifespan, it is sealed in cement/lead rendering the future use of the area impossible.

Posted by: wild-aloe ()
Date: July 22, 2009 03:23AM

Yes, health care is a human right; undeniable and not subject to "market solutions." Single-payer is the cheapest, most efficient method that gives the most freedom to patients, involves the least amount of paperwork, and fulfills its duty by giving broad, guarantied benefits to everyone. HR676 even includes naturopaths, psychotherapy, and other 'alternatives' that I'm sure a lot of raw or sometimes-raw foodists could benefit from.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables