Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

National Health Federation Press Release re. H.R. 2749
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 18, 2009 07:59PM

This was just sent to me by Dave Klein:

PRESS RELEASE
NATIONAL HEALTH FEDERATION:

THE GOON SQUAD ADVANCES ITS “FOOD SAFETY” BILL –

LIKELY TO PASS

July 18, 2009

“H.R.759 is dead, Long Live H.R.2749” That was the cry of the anti-health-freedom goons on Capitol Hill in Washington as the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, chaired by Congressman Henry Waxman, approved H.R.2749, the misnamed “Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009.”

The NHF opposed the predecessor to this Bill, is opposed to this Bill, and is asking NHF members and all others to register their vehement opposition with their Representatives. The text of it can be viewed at [www.govtrack.us]. The Bill has yet to be scheduled for a final vote by the full House of Representatives, but this is expected soon, so we must act now.

What’s at Stake

In an effort to address food-contamination issues – such as salmonella in spinach and peanuts – certain Congressmen and -women are pushing legislation that would bury American farmers, food producers, and other food and cosmetic businesses in yet more red tape and regulations.

Have there been food-contamination issues? Absolutely. But instead of addressing the root causes of such contamination by, for example, tackling the over-crowded, disease-laden feedlots that contaminate the water used by the farms downstream, Federal legislators ignore existing law that would already rectify this problem, if properly used, so that they can impose another layer of burdensome rules and regulations (and fees) that will unfairly punish innocent small farms and food producers.

Under the semblance of improving the safety of the nation's food supply, the anti-DSHEA Democratic leadership is using H.R.2749 to install new and enhanced expansion of FDA authorities over farms, nutritional foods, and dietary supplements. The Bill especially establishes burdensome administrative requirements on small and mid-size food facilities, nutritional food companies, and food suppliers. It also gives the FDA one-sided, arbitrary legal authority to recall contaminated "foods" and "unsafe medications." And this is even before regulations are promulgated by the FDA to “flesh out” their powers!

In particular, H.R.2749 requires registration of all food facilities, including manufacturers, processors, packers and storage facilities. Any such facility that introduces food into interstate commerce without being registered and having paid the mandatory registration fee would be subject to penalties for marketing misbranded food. But there’s more – registered facilities must implement hazard analysis, risk-based preventive controls, and food safety plans. For large commercial operations and Agribusiness with their retained professional staffs of attorneys and accountants, these additional costs will be barely noticed; but for small farms and small operations, these regulatory requirements will be oppressively burdensome, even fatal.

In essence, this bill proposes total Federal government control over and tracking of food production, distribution, and sales supposedly to ensure “food safety” but which powers in fact would be unconstitutional and unnecessary. Under H.R.2749, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) would empower the government to regulate food production at all levels, up and down the chain of production. For violations, the bill provides for criminal prosecution for producers, manufacturers, and distributors who fail to comply with the new laws, and punitive property seizures and large fines for each offense upon conviction. And for those who have been following Codex, you have almost certainly not missed the fact that H.R.2749’s “science-based” approach tracks that found in Codex food guidelines.

Not the “End Game”

Remember, these kind of “consumer protection” bills are always incremental. They are not the “End Game,” but rather intended as a step towards further control over your life. These people, who always seem to think that life is about controlling others so that the World will be “a better place” (for them, by the way, and not us), do not realize that – as John Lennon once said – “Life is what happens to you when you are busy making other plans.” Their efforts to control human nature and place all of us into neat little boxes will backfire and result in food that is less safe, not safer. Or, is that their simple plan anyway?

The Bills’ sponsors argue that all of these burdensome regulations – heaped on top of already-existing, unevenly-enforced burdensome regulations – will somehow make the nation’s food supply safer. Standards would be set and legions of bureaucratic enforcers would descend upon food establishments of all sorts, including “food production facilities” comprising even the smallest farms, ranches, orchards and poultry-raising operations. Mandatory recordkeeping and bureaucratic nitpicking would be the order of the day. Inevitably, costs of compliance would soar resulting in a boom for professional accountants and lawyers, who would of course be in increased demand.

Given the abusive history of the FDA, this Bill will have a substantial financial impact on the operations of small dietary supplement and nutritional food manufactures and suppliers, both at home and abroad. The expansion of FDA authority includes mandatory annual registration, with yearly registration fees, without regard to the size of the company, while the large criminal and civil penalties that FDA may impose do not even have to be based on a showing of any harm whatsoever by an unsafe product!

Despite efforts by the NHF and members to, among other things, amend the Bill to include exemption language for supplements, the Waxman-controlled Committee and Democratic leaders did not include this, and are engaging in backdoor politics to accomplish their anti-DSHEA agenda. This is just the first round of the more FDA command and control is better philosophy that pervades the current Congressional leadership.

Take Action!

It’s important that this Bill be stopped. Write your Representative now to oppose this bill before it comes up for a final vote in the House. Contact information for House Members and a form letter opposing H.R. 2749 to send to them can be found on the NHF website at [www.thenhf.com]

Bill Text H.R. 2749 Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009- [www.govtrack.us]

Contact Your Congressional Representatives-

Click on this address to contact your Congressperson in the U.S. House of Representatives: [www.house.gov]

As the oldest and best-respected health-freedom group on Capitol Hill, the NHF continues to be the credible source of objective assessment of, and proactive actions on, Congressional legislation and FDA matters that have material impact upon our freedom-of-health choices and access to dietary supplements and nutritional foods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: National Health Federation Press Release re. H.R. 2749
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: July 19, 2009 12:22AM

kwan,

Thanks so much for staying on top of this for us. I am definantly making contact, but sadly I am only one person in a sea of folks who just don't get it. Tried talking to family members who are "drinking the kool-ade", might as well bang my head against the wall for all the good it does.

I am a member of several vegan/raw food forums, & there is little chatter on there in regards to this bill. Everyone is so complacent anymore, it is always such an uphill fight.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 19, 2009 06:16PM

kwan,

Wrote my Congressman a very indignant letter. It won't be enough but it's something. I am thinking of becoming a revolutionary. Hope the Feds aren't monitoring this message board : ) Thanks for posting, kwan.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 19, 2009 10:34PM

> I am definantly making contact, but sadly I am only one person in a sea of folks who just don't get it. Tried talking to family members who are "drinking the kool-ade", might as well bang my head against the wall for all the good it does.<

Juicer-katz-- I know, it's frustrating, isn't it! I just listened to a friend at a family cookout this afternoon, telling me how he's looking forward to having some kind of super-high-powered radiation targeted on his cancerous prostate for a few minutes every day for 2 months starting up in a few weeks; he was almost gleeful about it. The consensus of many of my friends is that nobody knows what or how to eat, and it doesn't matter anyway: you'll get sick as you age.

Tamukha-- That's great! Think of it this way: if everyone did what you did, we'd be in a totally different kind of country. (HI THERE, FEDS!!!!!!!!!!!! We're just innocent raw foodists; don't get up in arms about us, because all we want is organic produce, clean air and world peace!)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 20, 2009 01:16AM

kwan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > I am definantly making contact, but sadly I am
> only one person in a sea of folks who just don't
> get it. Tried talking to family members who are
> "drinking the kool-ade", might as well bang my
> head against the wall for all the good it does.<
>
> Juicer-katz-- I know, it's frustrating, isn't it!
> I just listened to a friend at a family cookout
> this afternoon, telling me how he's looking
> forward to having some kind of super-high-powered
> radiation targeted on his cancerous prostate for a
> few minutes every day for 2 months starting up in
> a few weeks; he was almost gleeful about it. The
> consensus of many of my friends is that nobody
> knows what or how to eat, and it doesn't matter
> anyway: you'll get sick as you age.
>
> Tamukha-- That's great! Think of it this way: if
> everyone did what you did, we'd be in a totally
> different kind of country. (HI THERE,
> FEDS!!!!!!!!!!!! We're just innocent raw foodists;
> don't get up in arms about us, because all we want
> is organic produce, clean air and world peace!)

And therein lies the major problem; as long as Americans are contented to be "fat, dumb & happy" the are right where the government & all the various related cronies want them to be, right under their thumb.

The gov't. is overjoyed that we are viewed as the nut cases, while it is completely normal to eat pharmaceuticals like candy.

As you made reference to kwan, people are so confused they don't have a clue as to what is going on, & when you make an attempt to enlighten them, their eyes just glaze over as they are more interested on what show is on the idiot box later.

I shudder when I hear friends & family members talk about their medical problems & chemo this & radiation that, statin drugs, Coumadin, Celebrex, Clariton, insultion shots, the list is endless. And then they tell me that their Dr. tells them not to eat lettuce or carrots because it is bad for them & will worsen their condition or counteract their medications. :- 0

It's like I am on another planet when I am around them, I can't even hold a normal conversation with most folks. Guess I am not considered "normal", since after going Vegan/RAW almost 10 yrs. ago, I haven't had a cold, flu, sickness, sinus problems are completely gone, dropped over 40 lbs. of fat, I could go on.

Yes, sadly since there seems to be little opposition to this bill, the stuffed shirts in Washington who know basically nothing about anything (except how to lie/cheat/steal, etc.) will vote yes on it, like the trained minions they are.

All follow the leader now...

Please folks, get involved, write letters, make phone calls, this is serious stuff...

Date: July 31, 2009 05:32PM

The goons passed this bill. Only time will tell/show the "fool" impact of this draconian legislation.

In the 2010 & 2012 elections, hopefully the American people will come to their senses...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 31, 2009 07:19PM

"In the 2010 & 2012 elections, hopefully the American people will come to their senses..."

. . . and elect dolphins.

Date: July 31, 2009 09:41PM

". . . and elect dolphins."

Yeah! Some choices we have with the current crop, huh? But, I know we have to keep trying, never give up. I mean, what if we do nothing, what is in store - Totalitarian control?

We already have GM motors "Government Motors" ;(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables