Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

So I went to a plant shop today....
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2009 12:20AM

Inspired by people on this board I asked the shop assistant for plants that are "good for the air". I figured it might be an FAQ type of question.

She looked at me and said she had no idea and she had NEVER been asked that question ever before...... I had two names for her anyway but she could only give me one of them. Keep in mind it was only a very, very tiny shop though... but it's not like she was a young girl or anything.

I wanted to get about ten of them, but there were only about five spider plants there! I didn't want to rob the poor people!!! So we had a look around and she asked me what I thought "looked" the best. I picked up one I half-guessed looked a bit like one of the oxygen-plants I saw. But she actually took it out of my hands and practically pushed me to take a different purple-flowered one... hmm...

I'm pretty sure much of their main business is in the more expensive eh... *cough-splutter* "medicinal" plants... that are illegal to "prepare" in any way... maybe it was one of those ones I was taking accidentally.

I don't know guys... do you ever feel like the world is just a crazy, crazy place? Now it is a tiny shop and she was no way the owner, because she didn't even seem to even have heard of the weeping fig one which is listed on the website. It's just the general attitude of people. Buying flowers for $50, when you could fill your rooms up with 25 spider plants for that amount...

I need to find a proper gardening centre, I had no idea this was as small as it is. I thought this was a fair-sized shop, that's what it would appear from the website (which has two of the plant names).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2009 12:27AM by SuperInfinity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: So I went to a plant shop today....
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 21, 2009 03:54PM

SuperI,

What sort of plants are you thinking are specifically good for the air? The plants in my house are large crotons, cast irons, dracaenias, dumb canes, spider plants and bamboo. Many of these were propagated by my grandmothers and mother from small specimens saved from funeral arrangements, the kind with green plants rather than flowers. Maybe go to a florist specializing in that sort of service and get their advice on larger green plants like that?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 21, 2009 05:26PM

these are supposed to be really good for air cleaning , called mother-in-laws tongue [www.flickr.com]

i find mine really REALLY slow growing tho smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 21, 2009 09:29PM

Jodi,

Yeah, I have those too. They grow slowly. They like dry soil, too, so I have to remember to not water them as much as the others.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: August 22, 2009 11:51AM

Yeah, I was going to say mother in law's tongue. Also peace lilies -- I have a huge one near my bed. They're easy to take care of -- water them when they start to droop.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 22, 2009 04:32PM

hey i got those aquaglobes as seen on TV and my succulents and other plants like them very mush as they only take up as much water as they need, they are working very well smiling smiley

i have a tendency before the globes to drown them then forget them untill they were almost dead dry lol .. resulting in many losses lol winking smiley

theyve really saved my succulents and cacti , they suck for my regular plants because they take up way more water and need refilling more often smiling smiley besides i use the fish tank water i skim out every few days and water the rest of the plants as well as a shot of the worm casting tea smiling smiley

these are what im talking about

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2009 04:35PM by Jgunn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables