Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help for eyes/reading for 16 yr. old...
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 10, 2009 05:41PM

My son just got back from his physical for starting school this fall, & the eye test shows that he should have glasses for distance reading. No wonder, as he spends much time in front of the pc & video games, causing his eye muscles not to be flexed/worked as much as they should be.

He seems to be able to read close, fine print well, just seems to be distance vision; also as is usually the case, one eye tests differently than the other...

Unlike myself as a child, I spent 90% of my time outdoors enjoying God's green earth instead of being cooped up within four walls...

But I digress...

Being a "typical" teen, he does not eat raw like he should, so I know that diet is a factor in this, but can any of you offer tried & true solutions to a problem such as this?

Maybe eye exercises you have come across/other. We have pinhole glasses, but never have done much with them. I will read up on them some more, maybe a helpful thing, yes?

Open to suggestions -

Thanks! smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2009 05:43PM by juicerkatz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help for eyes/reading for 16 yr. old...
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 10, 2009 07:42PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Open to suggestions -
Just because tests show your son needs glasses, doesn't
mean you have to get them. I vote for letting him function without
a 'crutch'.....WY

Date: August 10, 2009 07:58PM

WY - That is my thoughts exactly - I have always felt that way. Unless, he would need them to read the blackboard...do they still have blackboards in school?!?

What would one do to improve his vision, though? I mean, other than the RAW food diet? Any exercises, etc.?

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 11, 2009 03:00AM

I started wearing glasses at the age of 2-1/2 (honest!), but in high school I stopped wearing them most of the time. In my 20s I stopped getting new ones, and I only wear my glasses to watch a movie.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 11, 2009 11:48AM

I am guessing that you don't need them to drive? Most Licenses list "corrective lenses required" on them. If he would need to get glasses & then not be wearing them while driving, the police would be all him for over that...

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 11, 2009 02:39PM

Oh... right, I don't have a car. I did drive back in Tucson, AZ in the '60s and '70s, and for that I wore my glasses. Don't want to be breaking the law just to prove a point, lol! If I were to take up driving again, I'd dig out one of my pairs of glasses and use them. My eyes haven't changed much over the years, so just about any old pair works fine. It's only my right eye that matters anyway-- I'm legally blind in my left one.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 11, 2009 11:02PM

juicerkatz,

The YouTube vlogger, David Hestrin, who posts as isforbliss and was raw until recently, has claimed to use various martial arts practices and relaxation techniques to correct his vision. This is a link from one of his posts:
[visionimprovementcenter.com]

Hope it helps!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 12, 2009 04:53AM

There is some exercises called I thing the Bates method? It's well known and has books out on methods used.

My son did much better once he started wearing glasses, but do it the other way from what I did if you give them a try. Buy the $99 pair get one free..'cause they lose them as they aren't used to caring for them. I bought expensive glasses and within a week he left them on bus or someplace. I know each pair got cheaper and cheaper with each loss.

Then once in college he held on to the glasses and so I did buy some nice Calvin Klien glasses that looked great on him and he had those for a couple years, until he broke them..so he has to buy his own glasses for now which he doesn't..so he's without glasses for now. But honestly he was a klutz and I think it may helped if he'd had glasses before he got to high school. It's better than a broken arm!

Love,
Prism

Date: August 12, 2009 11:11AM

Thanks to all for the replies, I appreciate it. Typical teenager, right now he is also going through a stage where he is not eating so well; smoothies/juices I make, he is turning up his nose at them, the peer pressure thing, since all his friends drink those horrible "Monster" drinks & the like. sad smiley

Prism - I found The Bayes Method -
[www.iblindness.org]

Looks interesting, I am going to read through the site when I have a chance & we might give it a try. I am of the school of thought of several of the prev. posters, that are not really interested in using glasses, if at all possible...

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 12, 2009 03:46PM

Katz....You're a good Dad to try to help your
son the way you are. It sounds like he's very unappreciative.
I wouldn't have the patience....WY

Date: August 12, 2009 05:12PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Katz....You're a good Dad to try to help your
> son the way you are. It sounds like he's very
> unappreciative.
> I wouldn't have the patience....WY

lol, what teen isn't that way? I remember my teenage years, I wasn't too much interested in "parental guidance".

Remember the Bill Cosby line..."when you grow up & get married, I hope you have kids who are just like you..." lol

So, I try to overlook a lot of stuff, & I hope I didn't make him out to be real bad - he is a a great kid; I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Date: August 29, 2009 11:44AM

Update -

We've been working with the Bates method. It is fairly simple, but I do feel like it is working. I needed to use reading glasses for very small print/reading electrical schematics, etc, but I swear things look a bit clearer for me now since doing this for a couple of weeks.

Also, if you do have problems reading fine print, brighter light may help you; This has been the case with me. If I take the reading material out into the sunlight, I really do not need to use the glasses.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables