Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

should I be worried about ants?
Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: August 01, 2010 02:53AM

We are staying up the sierra mountians, it is pretty hot and there are those little black ants all over the kitchen. They were here when we arrived, no one has been in the house in about a week and they were not here a month ago when we stayed. I think they might be after water because they are not getting into the trash or the fruit that is on the counter. I have been trying to clenn up really well using Dr. Bronners on the surfaces. Tonight I put a dish of water outside to see if that will deter them.

So my question is; should o be worried about them, health wise, crawling around the kitchen? or just let them do their thing? I assume they are harmless, just annoying.

Anyone have any experience in this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: should I be worried about ants?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 01, 2010 07:07AM

anything with peppermint oil in it will deter them, but pure peppermint oil in an atomizing spray bottle works best, cheap low quality stuff doesnt really matter, and if it is water, you could always place some kinda ant safe container with water in it outside near their home with some sticks going up and then crossing sticks down into it so they can collect some...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2010 01:45PM

There are lots of natural insect deterant recipes online. As for the ants themselves, you don't want them In your actual food but they aren't dirty creatures as far as I know. My friend was telling me just the other day about how her hubby's gran used to just scoop the ants out of the top of the sugar bowl before bringing it out with the rest of the tea set. Eww, right, but no one ever got sick from that.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 01, 2010 04:01PM

hehe i wouldnt let them bother me an coco is right , there is a ton of stuff on the net about making the little critters turn away an go elsewhere

you need to be diligent tho and follow them around a bit an see where they come an go from and work from there

ants in the sugar bowl i could think of alot worse for sure ! smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2010 06:34PM

Earwigs, silverfish, centipedes, ants, mosquitos, flies, box elder beatles, shad flies, grain moths, we have them ALL! It's a buggy sort of place around here.
I've got an essential oil blend mixed up in a spray bottle but I haven't noticed it working all that well. Whatever, I ignore them unless they're biting us.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 01, 2010 08:13PM

They are annoying back in my unhealthy days i was sitting on my bed with a bottle of lucozade(sugary drink if anyone doesnt know the brand), and i could swear it was moving i thought i was tripping as my room was dark, black carpet, black furniture so i got up put the light on to see the bottle was covered in ants.

Was horrible had to lift the carpets with them being black we couldnt see them all.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 01, 2010 08:37PM

earwigs creep the hell out of me grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 01, 2010 10:33PM

20 Mule Team Borax sprinkled around the exterior wall beds, without any gaps, keeps the ants out--they have a Spidey Sense aversion to boric acid. The only prob with it is that when it rains, you must reapply it. But the ant brain is smart--once the Borax had been around the house for a week and a few days, and the ants had registered that something they disliked was blocking entry, they gave up and moved on, not returning even when the Borax was washed away by rain.

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: August 01, 2010 11:32PM

After the (perpermint) Dr. Bronners last night, they mostly, except for a few stragglers have vacated, thanks everyone!

They didn't go for the water dish outside, but I didn't do the stick thing like curator suggested. The kids are playing with water in the yard today so maybe that will be good for them.

Only one more day of our little vacation sad smiley then back to the city. School is starting soon; our summer is coming to an end.

Tamukha, I will get some borax and apply it before we leave, I wonder where the ants go when it snows? Underground? maybe they hibernate.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 02, 2010 09:22AM

basically, they pretty much DO hibernate...at least the ant version of it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables