Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

homeopathic remedies...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 31, 2010 05:03AM

I actually work with Tabaks Health Products and have discovered a great source for really high quality homeopathic remedies. I’d like to share some of my experiences, but I think it would be best if you checked it out yourself at [www.tabakshealthproducts.com]. I've tried many medications that had many side effects, has anyone else gone through something similar?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: homeopathic remedies...
Date: August 31, 2010 06:07AM

Well, they can't hurt you but I have never found them to be even the slightest bit helpful either. Expensive for naught but sugar...

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 31, 2010 11:11AM

I've found them to be very helpful. I know they do work, it is not a placebo effect with them. Some that I have used in the past nux vomica, rhus tox, arnica, and aconite.

Some have no discernible effect on me at all, so I don't know what that is all about. But, I can say with certainty that the ones that I listed do work for me.

My wife can take Belladonna & Gelsemium with great success but they do nothing for me.

Since I have went all raw, I don't really have a need for any remedies, since I don't suffer from any maladies but it is nice to know there are viable "natural" or less poisonous alternatives to conventional medicines.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 31, 2010 01:24PM

Even though this post puts me on spam alert[the Tabak's Company isn't homeopathic remedies--it's herbal remedies], I will answer and say I have had success with homeopathics, although on a trial and error basis. Apparently, my biology is weird, not just my personality!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2010 01:28PM by Tamukha.

Date: August 31, 2010 06:47PM

Probably is spam, but I wanted to address the efficacy of homeopathic remedies as well. It is very interesting that one remedy may work quite well for one person, yet another person has no reaction to the same remedy

As you stated Tam, it is trial and error to a large degree; we have several books on the subject and have done a fair amount of research on it.

Too bad there aren't more naturalpaths/homeopaths practicing so folks can have a safe alternative to turn to. On top of that, most insurance will not cover a naturalpath/homeopath visit.

Date: August 31, 2010 09:23PM

Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you have a positive experience with these products as I have

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 31, 2010 09:36PM

Nope - homeopathy has never done the slightest thing for me despite me really wanting it to - I now think it is one of life's more successful hoaxes.

Date: September 01, 2010 05:44AM

I know, I feel the same way. I always hope it will work for the kids and I, I have a friend who is a practitioner and I really respect and trust her but... nothing ever happens when we take that stuff. I get ZERO results, it's such a bummer!

Date: September 01, 2010 03:39PM

coco,

Are you trying each remedy in a series for a specific disorder? I have found that what works for the majority of patients, and even for the primary minority of patients, doesn't work for me. When I have used homeopathics, I have had to try third most popular, and in one case, fourth. But in each of those cases, efficacy was conspicuous. In previous tries, it was a fat lot of nuthin' and I am not surprised people get discouraged and think it's bunk.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: September 01, 2010 06:16PM

Be careful, contrary to others' opinions, they can hurt. I had a really bad experience with staphysagria that my DO put me on for swelling in my back. I kept telling her that I felt angry and extremely irritable all the time on the stuff and she just kept saying that was supposed to happen. I ruined the Corian with a chef's knife and put a large hole in the drywall before I quit taking it. I get angry at times and yell and have some outbursts like everyone else, but I've not destroyed property in anger before or since.

Date: September 01, 2010 06:38PM

veghunter,

To be fair, it wasn't the remedy that hurt you, it was your doctor's prescribing the wrong one for you. I hope you gave your doc whatfor over that.

Date: September 02, 2010 12:30AM

I don't understand the distinction you are making, Tam. Staphysagria is used to reduce swelling of deep injury and reduce scarring as it heals. It has as a side effect 'irritability'.

Date: September 02, 2010 01:50AM

Some folks are more sensitive to certain compounds. I do not have the reaction with Staphysagria that you have.

I can use Arnica for example, but only a very low dose - like 3x. Anything higher than that gives me a nagging headache for days...always has.

I wonder if you would have benefited from a lower dose...

Date: September 02, 2010 02:07AM

I don't think so. I did a gradual increment. I can't remember for sure now, but I think it was 1X, 30X, 100X.

Anyway, it wasn't meant as a condemnation of homeopathy, but a warning that homeopathic remedies can be just as dangerous as prescription meds, so proceed with caution.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 02, 2010 02:24AM

you do all know that true homeopathic remedies have no measurable quantity of the different herbs listed on them, its supposed to be the "spirit" of the ingredients that does the healing...those who don't believe plants have spirits will obviously not believe these remedies will work, Only one that ever worked for me was this arnica gel, although im not entirely sure if it even was homeopathic as it just said "arnica gel" with nothing on it about it being homeopathic, my friend swears by trauma oil though, and it worked the time I tried it, I tried dozens and dozens of other homeopathic remedies, forced on me by a woman I was dating for awhile there that believed they could heal ANYTHING... none of them worked, And I doubt they ever will... considering how incredibly cheap they are to make, its also rather insane how expensive that stuff costs...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: September 02, 2010 01:07PM

Why does it cost so much? I'd be willing to experiment more but I recently threw out 3 containers of tablets that we'd had for years that each cost something like 10 or 15 bucks! Geez.

Date: September 02, 2010 06:06PM

veghunter,

Yeah, I interpreted that as a warding off from homeopathics in general--sorry sad smiley No doubt, alternative remedies can be dangerous also, which is why it's so important to have a truly educated and skilled practioner making/prescribing your alternative remedies.

Date: September 02, 2010 07:53PM

Now Curator...

"its also rather insane how expensive that stuff costs..."

Cheaper than a course of antibiotics! grinning smiley

Online you can buy them for around $5.00 or so for a tube/vial/container. Even less if you would place a larger order. I really don't consider that too expensive.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: September 03, 2010 01:26AM

I think homeopathics are very cheap, and they keep for years. I wouldn't throw any out. I've found some to be very effective and I think they're very powerful, especially for children. I've also had success with some herbal extracts. Carnitive formula - an extract; I forget who makes it - works great for car sickness, but start taking it a few days before the car trip.

Date: September 04, 2010 01:21AM

Dude, homeopathics are almost nothing but water, or in some cases a carrier oil or gel, with no detectable amounts of anything else in them, they are supposed to contain the "spirit" of the plant that is helping you, which is put into the liquid by harvesting using certain rituals(which can be different depending on the plant), then its essence extracted, and diluted to the point in which there is nothing detectable in it... so $5 for a 1 oz container of water/oil is FAR more expensive than the product costs, they are most likely making a minimum of 1,000% profit per bottle, or more, thats as bad of gouging as the pharmaceutical industry...or worse in some ways... oh, the ones made with oil are most likely only around 500% profit, unless they buy in bulk barrels...

compared to what you get, and the cost of production, they are insanely expensive... heres an example, lets say I find a cure for cancer, it involves me breathing healing energy and love into a 1 lb bag of raw cane sugar, lets even say this cure is actually even proven to work, but they have to use all of or most of the bag, now lets say I charge $5,000 for that bag of raw cane sugar, definitely worth it to beat cancer and get your life back right? of course!

See, im not saying its not worth it (if it works) im saying its not right to charge so much for something that costs so little, which is what makes it REEK of a scam to me, if the people who where producing this stuff truly had the love and compassion and respect for the plants and their "spirits" that they are supposed to be able to have to even make true homeopathic medicine, then one would think they wouldnt be so greedy as to charge so much for a small container of water/oil... oh and $5 that is for the cheapest of the cheap... there are some homepathic things you cant find for under $10-$15 like trauma oil, even online...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: September 04, 2010 02:52AM

The thing is, Curator, homeopathics are common and accepted in Europe, so you can get them at any pharmacy and the manufacturer makes a profit. Here, they have been ridiculed and pushed to the fringe by medical doctors with no training in physics[the discipline of true homeopathy] and are therefore not lucrative unless the manufacturer sets the cost higher than for other markets. When you factor in the markup of the average health food store trying to compete with drugstores selling vitamins for market share, homeopathics become astoundingly expensive. It's just capitalism, however. And I will just mention that they are valuable, if effective, even if only by inducing a placebo response.

Date: September 04, 2010 04:13AM

I dunno, they are even on the shelves of the grocery stores in my town, id say thats not exactly the "fringes" and I agree, if a true placebo response happens, where the belief in the product produces an actual benefit to a persons health, I do still think they would be valuable.

there is not really any competition with the drug industry, homeopathics have a niche market, and can produce their product easily to meet demand...sure the majority of people dont purchase them,so they just produce less, that does not raise the price of production, there is nothing in the mix that should cause such a large mark up, My friend sarah makes homeopathic oils/elixirs for pennies a bottle! including labor AND cost of the small glass bottles! she sells them for half what the local stores do, and covers her monthly bills with a considerable amount left over!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: September 04, 2010 01:22PM

Totally disagree with you, Curator. I swear there is a homeopathic remedy that me and my kids have been taking for years, probably over 50 times, that if you take it in the first couple days of getting a cold, all you get is the runny nose for three days and then the cold is gone. Also, like I said, I took a Homeopathic 'nosode' that had no actual substance in it, only a 'shadow', and it definitely affected me physically.

Date: September 04, 2010 02:15PM

There may also be a difference between what are true homeopathics, which are typically pills or powders, and creams or lotions for topical use. I have never seen pill vials of Nux Vomica or whatever at my local Walgreens, LOL

The trauma oil, I suspect, is more an herbal remedy than a true homeopathic remedy. There is one brand that makes both[Bioron], but in Europe, there's an understood distinction between homeopathics and herbal medicines, though they overlap in origin sometimes.

Date: September 04, 2010 02:44PM

well kidraw, 3-5 days is my average, without using the remedy, just upping vitamin C, and till I started juicing, I had a fairly weak immune system,sooo I dont see how its anymore beneficial than cheaper precautions one can take, maybe combine the two? give that cold a double whammy... pl

What actually makes something a homeopathic remedy has to do with how its made, and the fact that its diluted down to no detectable amount, its supposed to be the spirit of the plant that is helping you,in herbal medicine its the plant itself, and compounds within it, that are helping you because of how those different natural compounds affect your body.

The original form of homeopathy basically started with ancient pagans, as did the rituals, then Samuel Hahnemann basically took the practice, without the rituals, and then claimed to have invented it,According to his form of homeopathy, "symptoms are the body's way of fighting disease, and that symptoms are to be encouraged, by prescribing a "remedy" in small doses that in large doses would produce the same symptoms seen in the patient, These remedies are meant to stimulate the immune system, helping to cure the illness."

It could always be possible that he has it right, who knows, maybe even the pagans had it right (or still do, my friend makes hers the pagan way.) its funny you should mention walgreens though, as thats where the second biggest selection of the stuff sold in my town is, the biggest selection of homeopathic stuff is of course, at the health food store, and both our rays food place, safeway, shopsmart, and wal-mart, all have a section devoted to it... Also, the trauma oil sold at the health food store here specifically states its homeopathic on the label...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: September 07, 2010 10:50PM

Here's something I just found that could save you a lot of money on a Homeopath -

[www.homeopathyandmore.com]

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 08, 2010 10:50AM

doesn't it sound just a bit daft when it asks you what shape your face is - i.e. heart shaped. sorry but really...

Date: September 08, 2010 07:06PM

Yes, and someone in the homeopathic group where I got this said that other questions did not pertain to the diagnosis of a constitutional remedy - like 'male or female' 'age' - I forget what else. But I thought it was interesting that there was a program to use so maybe we wouldn't need a 'doctor'....

Date: September 09, 2010 01:29AM

I started taking it, then realized how long it is... I think I may have to come back to it another time,lol...looked interesting at first, although id have to agree with flipperjan...lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables