Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Rebounding: anyone do this for exercise?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 31, 2010 01:09AM

I have been interested in trying this for years ever since I read Harvey Diamond talk about how rebounding purifies the lymphatic system. I actually bought a mini rebounder for $15 at Walmart but never used it. The instructions mentions it was potentially dangerous to open up and should only be done by two people. And when I found out that other brands were much more expensive, I became afraid to jump on something that inexpensive. What if it folded back up? Yikes! So if anyone has a particular brand to recommend, please let me know!smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rebounding: anyone do this for exercise?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 31, 2010 03:40AM

I have had a few rebounders, all from the thrift store do no idea what brands. I like them, they're sort of fun but honestly, I hardly ever use them because they make me pee. Two kids you know, gotta watch it when I sneeze or laugh too hard sometimes too grinning smiley.

Date: August 31, 2010 04:15PM

Coco, you're lucky about finding them in thrift stores. I have never run across any. And the peeing thing isn't an issue for me, LOL.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 31, 2010 04:53PM

Needak makes a highly regarded rebounder, though it's expensive. That's the one I'm savin' up fer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2010 04:54PM by Tamukha.

Date: August 31, 2010 05:22PM

Thanks! I heard of that brand and couldn't recall the name. I hope to get someone on here to give a testimonial about ease of use, quality, etc. I like Amazon's reviews versus going on the company's site but even on Amazon someone from the company can pose as a customer.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 31, 2010 09:45PM

Don't fret about getting an expensive one - mostly that's rubbish. Rebounding for lymph drainage only needs a few minutes per session but if you are going to do a more serious work out on it then I suggest building up slowly as it can make your neck and spine ache if you do too much too soon. (like an hour of serious running and jumping to Iron Maiden Lol )

I prefer running outside but it's a bit of fun I suppose

Date: August 31, 2010 10:48PM

The thing about jogging is the stress on the joints. Rebounding prevents that and that makes it attractive.

Date: September 01, 2010 08:00AM

The thing about jogging is NOT the stress on the joints. Jogging is actually really GOOD for your joints. A rheumatology doctor told me that all his patients who jog have stonger tendons and ligaments, better conditioned muscles etc. This means that their knee joints are held in good alignment preventing many knee problems.

Being overweight and not taking any exercise is far more stressful for joints.

Running (if you are a healthy person) is good for you in every way.

Date: September 01, 2010 07:54PM

But what if a person needs to lose weight, plus will jog on concrete? Isn't that bad for the joints? Maybe a person in good shape on a jogging track wouldn't risk much, but if you are not in perfect shape yet, what about that?

Date: September 01, 2010 11:44PM

Hmm, that's interesting about the jogging and joints. I would consider jogging in that case.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 02, 2010 02:35AM

Jogging is bad for the joints, IF the person is doing it wrong, which most do, you need the right shoes for how you run if your going to be running on pavement, and the major thing about jogging is making sure to learn and keep good form, then its excellent for your joints! I am not an expert on this though, this is just what I was told by my sensei who has been running every day for most of his life, im sure there are plenty of internet resources to help with this stuff too ^_^, My feet pronate I believe is the term, when I run, so I had to get shoes to fit that, and I stopped getting pain in my knees and ankles after doing so...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: September 02, 2010 08:46AM

I'm not going to even start on this one - yes there is lot's of very good and also conflicting information out there. Yes, form is very important - but barefoot, not barefoot the arguments rage. Each to their own!!!

Every one's feet pronate curator - we wouldn't be able to move otherwise - it's a question of overpronation that vexes everybodies mind and causes the most amazing arguements. If you get the form right then you do not need the support shoes etc etc

Even in the situation you raise Banana who - jogging is fine. A person who is overweight and only starting out is not going to go far anyway.

coco - running keeps me sane, it brings the sun out, it makes me love the world, it makes me happy - it's what we are born to do smiling smiley

Date: September 02, 2010 09:13AM

sorry, I'll clarify, my feet excessively supinate (I got the terms reversed, sorry,I do that often,and I Haven't slept,lol) and you KNOW that I meant excessively,lol... my problem is biological, no amount of form can fix it, as my feet naturally point outwards, makes for a bad runner, thats for sure...lol...

I wasn't trying to say that running with shoes is better than barefoot, I personally believe barefoot running on natural surfaces is far better for a person, I know my ankles and knees don't hurt when I do, but if I run barefoot on pavement, my arches, ankles, and knees, hurt allot after wards, on pavement I prefer shoes, off pavement I prefer barefoot, I enjoy bothgrinning smiley

I pretty much agree with everything you've said, just clarifying my points, and would also like to point out that the majority of running/jogging related injuries happen to people who are new to it and either have bad form or push themselves way to far way to soon, its important to take ones time, But I think that's the case with just about all heavily physical endeavors ^_^

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: September 02, 2010 01:04PM

Little man's arches are so high and he walks with his foot bent over so much that it's nearly like walking on the sides of his ankles. A ped ortho dr told me it's fine though. ?? We're going to see another dr about it.
My feet were the same as a child but after years of ballet (ages 4-8) with a strict dance instructor, I learned how to stand and walk differently. Now my arches are still very high but my feet are also very strong and I stand correctly without support. I suspect that I am holding something wrong though (or shoes just don't fit right, the arches are never high enough) as I have pain and weakness in ankle, knee and hip. And back too, it's all connected. I did work in retail and restaurants for nearly 20 year which is very taxing physically and takes a toll on the body. I was thinking about those vibram 5 finger shoes as barefoot is the most comfortable for me but I don't want to step on anything sharp or burning (done it already, have a 2 inch scar on my sole).
How does one find the "right" shoe and learn how to run correctly? I don't, at this age and with the level of damage already sustained, want to learn this by trial and error.

Date: September 02, 2010 03:53PM

I run in trainers but would like not to. this is quite a useful website

[therunningbarefoot.com]

Coco, I would say that your last question/sentence will lead you into a minefield - good luck with it. I have read so much on the subject now that I couldn't begin to advice you - I am FULL of conflicting ideas, all of which seem perfectly sensible and logical !!!!!

for the good of my feet I am trying to do a lot more barefoot walking and seeing where this will lead me.

Date: September 02, 2010 08:00PM

Coco, if I am not mistaken, those glove shoes have rubber soles? I admit I was intrigued by them. Well, it's good to know that jogging isn't too bad for the joints. I was thinking about running in this big park near my apt. and just running on the grass instead of the asphalt. The best thing is if you live by the ocean and can run on sand. I bet that's an awesome workout, not to mention easy on the joints!smiling smiley

Date: September 04, 2010 04:21AM

oh its a wonderful workout, dear god does it make my hamstrings sore though...lol(running on sand)

Well, not sure what the BEST way to find out for you happens to be, but for me I just went to a privately owned store that specialized in running shoes, they watched me run, told me how to correct my form by showing me, and brought out a dozen or so different shoes for me to run around the store in, and I whittled it down to 2 pairs which both felt great, like I was running on clouds, but one fit just a bit more comfortably, and those are what worked for me, tad bit expensive however...$130... I felt like crap doing it, but I just bought a $20 pair of really nice sandles, then went home and found the same shoes online for $79...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: September 04, 2010 09:32AM

Yes but console yourself Curator with the fact that you wouldn't have known about those shoes unless you had been through that process at the shop. If those shoes are the 'ones' for you, you can next time, either support your local shoe shop and buy there or buy on line.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 04, 2010 02:09PM

Right, and also, whenever you meet someone that is wondering where to get a good pair of athletic shoes, sing the praises of this shop to the high heavens to them and send them there--many people can afford to pay a markup for the exemplary service that you received, and that'll be your way of paying the store back for their attentiveness to you smiling smiley

Date: September 04, 2010 02:48PM

I actually have sent multiple family members and friends that live in yuba city, so I guess I shouldn't feel to bad about leaving after all their help and buying them online...I just couldn't afford that big of a price difference, if it hadn't been such a huge difference, I probably would have purchased from them...one thing that sucks though, is my old pair is beyond worn out now, and they dont make them anymore >.<

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: September 05, 2010 03:01AM

Curator: Must be nice to live by the ocean...

Date: September 07, 2010 09:19AM

It really is wonderful, I dont think I could live far from the ocean for very long, the time I spent in Tennessee was weird enough...been by the ocean for most of my life, so it feels weird when im away from it...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: September 08, 2010 01:49AM

TN? You weren't at The Farm, by any chance? One day I wanna go down there and check out their commune. They have a publishing company that people may be aware of. I have a few of their titles.

Date: September 09, 2010 01:30AM

nah, I lived in a bad part of chattanooga,lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 16, 2010 08:39PM

Rebounding is brilliant, ive always been into hard high intensity cardio but rebounding really takes it out of you after a while.

Its great because i can do it indoor whilst watching a movie etc which makes it all the more enjoyable. Great for the getting the lymph moving which as we know is an important component of the immune system. Aswell as getting the heart pumping and circulation moving.

Date: September 16, 2010 08:47PM

Bananawho, the farm as in Ina May Gasken's Spiritual Midwifery farm? That's cool if that place is still happening.

Date: September 18, 2010 11:09PM

Coco: Yeah. I actually read that book even though I have no kids. I just have been fascinated with Steven Gaskin for years. I have this wacky book of his--it's probably very rare and out-of-print but it's his philososphy and it's really out there in a funny way. They seem to have a very together intentional community and it's been around for around 40 years. I think he used to be a college professor, too. You can Google The Farm and find out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables