Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

"Early detection," breast cancer "awareness," and other nonsense
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 21, 2010 05:39PM

I have been seeing pink ribbons all over the place so I assume there is some campaign going on. The problem of early detection is that the goal is to find cancer early on. What about not getting it in the first place? The people pushing this stuff are conveying the false belief that cancer drops from the skies to the unlucky random people and the remedy is to find it after it is there and nip it in the bud.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Early detection," breast cancer "awareness," and other nonsense
Date: October 21, 2010 05:47PM

An analogy would be "preventing" crime by putting a camera in your house so that when a burgular comes in, he can be filmed and later caught. I would rather prevent him from entering in the first place, LOL

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 21, 2010 09:45PM

There's a reason why even oncologists call it the Cancer "Industry;" there's no money to be made in prevention, except where it's clinical--witness the sporadic news about cancer "vaccines" that never seem to come to fruition. A couple of years ago I was talking with a friend who brought up the fact that x percent of profits from the sale of Dove Antiperspirant was being donated by Unilever to the Breast Cancer Society of America for R & D. I responded that this was rich considering that the main ingredient in their antiperspirant is a known carcinogen. My friend looked amazed and said she didn't know that, and I thought, yeah, join the club.

Date: October 22, 2010 05:10PM

Wow, that's interesting Tamukha. It makes you wonder where the society's money goes. This morning I had to go to the bank. All the tellers, both men and women, were wearing pink tee shirts and there was a huge pink ribbon adorning the info booth in front. I had to roll my eyes at the sight. I mean, it's really an abuse of power to make MEN wear bubblegum-pink tees, LOL. Unless they happen to like that color (most women probably don't either). But the whole thing seems noble on the surface until you ask yourself: where is the money for "awareness" and "finding the cure" going to? And the answer is most likely back at Big Pharma's doorstepsad smiley

Date: October 22, 2010 08:37PM

banana who,

Yes, any day now, I expect to meet Donald Sutherland on the sidewalk and he will stare into my eyes, open his mouth, and start screaming a long wailing scream.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 27, 2010 05:38PM

That makes me think of some fund raiser I saw somewhere. The weird thing was they were selling hot dogs to support prostate cancer research. Another one was selling some hydrogenated cookies for breast cancer

Date: October 27, 2010 07:43PM

This is becoming more and more insidious. I have noticed major corporations "honoring" breast cancer patients with various promotions/activities. My concern is that the money they are collecting is ultimately going to Big Pharma. If it was for the families of children left mother or fatherless due to cancer, I wouldn't object.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: October 27, 2010 08:34PM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That makes me think of some fund raiser I saw
> somewhere. The weird thing was they were selling
> hot dogs to support prostate cancer research.
> Another one was selling some hydrogenated cookies
> for breast cancer

We have a friend that had a double mastectomy several years ago & now that is what she does. To raise awareness and promote C - research, she now sells cookies/cakes/pies & candy for them. She is a very big fundraiser for the organization.

What a total waste of time/resources & money... sad smiley

But she feels it is her "mission" in life, they have completely brainwashed her.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: October 27, 2010 11:33PM

Yeah, every year my sister does some Walk for Cancer -- that is in between drinking her Diet Cokes.

Date: October 28, 2010 01:21PM

Genetics! remember its genetic! I hope that the sarcasm comes accross in the right way!

Date: October 28, 2010 01:22PM

Well, I don't mean to be unkind or uncompassionate. There probably is come genetic factor, but don't those have to be activited somehow?

Date: October 28, 2010 03:19PM

Mislu,

Yes. The genes are not actively expressed except given certain promoting factors. If you get a genomic breast cancer diagnosis and your onco doesn't tell you this, your onco is being professionally remiss. The breast cancer genes; BRCA1 & 2, account for fewer than 10 percent of breast cancer(goodness knows what the statistic is if you factor out "quasi" cancer like ductal carcinoma in situ)and are considered relatively new. IMO, they have arisen as the result of environmental conditions typical to families, chiefly diet and lifestyle. Once the DNA make the jump, it stands to reason that the gene will activate in any consanguinous female that lives the same lifestyle and consumes the same diet that promoted the gene's expression in her mother, grandmother, great grandmother, etc. We inherit lifestyle, not merely DNA, from our family. It would be interesting to see if any clinician has come across individuals possessing the genes, but whose lifestyles are so radically lacking in environmental promoters that the genes haven't expressed in those individuals. I'm not holding my breath that this would be notable.

Date: October 28, 2010 04:11PM

Tamukha: Right! I have often thought that environmental factors dance with DNA in those very few cases of actual families who have higher odds of cancer. If you looked at their other habits, do they eat well? It reminds me of kids I saw growing up who were chubby/fat from a young age. Usually when you met Mama and Daddy, they were hefty, too. And I wouldn't doubt that some doctor told them they inherited the "fat gene." There may be some cases of genetic propensity towards hypothyroidism or other disorders, but I still think that coming from a family with certain habits is more likely the culprit.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: October 28, 2010 05:18PM

I have a theory that everyone who is obese drinks Sodas.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: October 28, 2010 11:21PM

The local donut chain is promoting "awareness" by putting pink frosting on all the doughnuts. Not that I ate any - I heard the ad on the radio grinning smiley

Date: October 29, 2010 01:13PM

Kidraw,
I would say there is something to the soda theory. I have a nephew who hasn't even reached 11 yet, drank a lot of soda as a child. He came to visit recently. At one point out of the blue,when there was a quiet part of the conversation, he just said "I'm loosing weight". He lost 80 lbs, a friend of mine said he didn't weigh much more than 80lbs total at that age. So, that was pretty sad. He still looked like he could loose another 80lbs and still look 'normal'.

The soda habit got passed down from his father, who always seemed to have a soda of some kind in his hand. Hes seperated from his mother, so thats probably a good thing, as far as being able to help him loose weight.

The family was very fearful for him, because he was well on his way to developing type 2 diabetes, if he doesn't already have it. I think blood pressure problems, and some there was something else. Things that a child shouldn't have to deal with. Usually thats concerns for someone over 40, at least 'back in the day'.

I wonder if he is at increased risk for cancer also? He has corrected a number of bad habits, but mostly in terms of controlling calories. I don't know if he has taken up a habit of replacing sugar with some chemical substitute.

Date: October 29, 2010 01:15PM

juicerkatz,
That is so interesting, coding something pink as 'awareness'. If only every such item which is likely to contribute is so marked.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: November 28, 2010 02:41AM

I have to say, every professional ive seen talk about breast cancer awareness ive seen also talk about prevention, although i agree that should be the main subject and frequently isnt, my mom is only alive today because during breast cancer awareness month years ago she got checked, found a lump, turned out to be an extremely aggressive variety, she beat it, and now has lung cancer (linked directly to her smoking) but the point is, she wouldn't even be alive to get lung cancer, if it wasn't for breast cancer awareness month,lol... Oh, and she knows all the lifestyle changes that could be made to reduce chances of getting cancer again, and refuses to make them, so thats on her, not the industry:/...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: November 28, 2010 06:50PM

Curator,

How are you doing, kiddo? Been thinking of you and wishing you well . . .

Date: November 28, 2010 09:34PM

Curator, I hadn't clicked on your thread about your mom until after I made this one. I kicked myself over it, hoping that I didn't come across as insensitive. Had I known about her, I wouldn't have even written about it. I am glad she was checked in time. I guess the gist of my statement was that early detection (IMO) is not the same as prevention. Once a cancer is detected, it has to be dealt with. The implication is that cancer just drops from the sky, we cannot control it for the most part (besides not smoking) and should just get mammograms. I feel that many doctors are not trained to really promote a plant-based diet with lots of fresh fruits and veggies, along with some sort of meditation and exercise regimen. They may say not to smoke, don't drink more than a glass of wine every day, and walk 30 minutes 3X a week, but not to the extent that is needed for optimal health!

Date: November 29, 2010 10:56AM

Oh I totally understand, I agree, im just saying, its better than nothing, and although I would prefer they educate people more on prevention, im glad they are paying at least SOME attention to it, basically, I dont think the early detection stuff is bad, just that your right, teaching about prevention would be better... which many individuals do, especially during breast cancer awareness month, its all over the tv...

(I accidentally typed "breast awareness month." lol... that would be like, what, August? when its super hot out?hahahahaha...)

@Tam, im doin alright, worn out,lol... been thinking about you and my other friends on here too... I have had a juicing buddy though thats been making things a bit less tiring, she often comes over and and brings me juice randomly, one time she brought over all of her juicers so we could do some fun side by side comparisons... it really has been a relief finding a friend like her around here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: November 29, 2010 10:52PM

Some dudes I know make breast awareness month to be 24/7/365winking smiley

Date: November 29, 2010 11:54PM

hahahahahaha, I never understood the fetish level of attraction to breasts, but I sometimes wonder if it had something to do with not being breast fed long enough or at all as a baby,lol... or being breast fed to long?

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables