Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Crohns Disease, Ulcerative colitis IBD?
Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: January 16, 2009 04:49AM

Anyone here dealing with the issue?

Im diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, 20 years old, I first had a flare in my colon in 2007 inflammation in the smaller intestine. it went away.

Then 2008 in august I had a horrible flare, really sick.. prescribed Prednisone which Im still on 10mg, and started at 40, buts ts been months, and here I am still on t becuase cant wean off it withou horrible pain...

I know the problem is the poisons and toxins. Any suggestions?

Im starting my juice tommarow. Hopefully we see positive response, soon..

What are your experienced, ith raw and the disease?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crohns Disease, Ulcerative colitis IBD?
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 16, 2009 12:18PM

I gess you have read Self Healing colitis & crohns by David Klein and 80/10/10 diet by Douglas Graham? Those two books will give you "the answers".

My experience is that if you don't totally heal your intestines and go 100% raw with irritating salads, superfoods, salt, condiments etc you will not be 100% well. But you will be the most happiest and energetic person but with small intestinal problems. So do the total-healing first! =)

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: January 16, 2009 02:08PM

I completely understand what you are going through. I was diagnosed with IBD in 2004. I am currently reading David Klein's book, and it's WONDERFUL! Being a raw vegan is definately the only way to go if you do not want to spend your life on medications. I haven't mastered this diet completely and still have bowel issues, but they are getting better and I have much much more energy. Feel free to email me at: elizabethvaldes99@hotmail.com if you would like to chat more. I can't offer too much advice, because I haven't healed myself yet, but I highly recommend you to check out David Klein and Paul Nison. I started this way of living about 1 year ago. I went from SAD to a strict green juice fast overnight. It worked wonders, but I flew into to quickly and had alot of draw backs, cravings, and eventually let some cooked foods back into my life, which started my symptoms up all over again! SO, it's really a long journey to be honest, but one that leaves you fulfilled and feeling better each and every day. I feel the best I have in a long time since I started this way of living 1 year ago, and I will hopefully will never go back to SAD again. You have found a great way to go, be proud of yourself.

Hope this helps.

Lizard!

Date: January 16, 2009 06:57PM

Ive spoke with paul about my problems, see last august, my friends here in San diego at the greenery (raw food cafe) forwarded me to there friend paul who healed themselves from crohns, well I spoke to him and he gave me advice and sent me his book, but I IGNORED IT because thehospital gave me prednisone, and I Was feeling better. I could eat again and I was painless, well all that went away and here I am square one.

So 20 years of following this system we are raised into. 20 years of there medicines, 20 years of there diet, 20 years of SAD, Im ready to try somthing else becuase OBVIOUSLY THIS ISNT WORKING RIGHT?

Sure, its gonn abe a difficult journey.. but Its better and IT HAS TO BE better then this pain, becuase honestly. I cant live like this my whole life. I need to find healing..

I still havent read these books..
In fact, its the WEEKEND. Im those books. and Im gong to read this weekend. And juice and REST and just think positive.

Why not? What do I have to lose other then some pain and intestinal discomfort..

Right nowI have Heavy inflammation. So Im quite confused on what to do?

I know all the advice about avoiding raw fruits and veggies during inflammation,
What do you guys think?

Im just suppose to juice and drink water dring the inflammation stages?
I know Im not asking for medical advice, Im even going to go get the books and answer these questions later today, but from your experience?

Healthybun, are you saying eat the raw salads and veggies and take the irritating pain?

Thank you guys, for everything. <3<3

Date: January 16, 2009 07:53PM

hehe, I really know that feeling: "oh, the pain is not pushing me anymore to the natural and right things anymore, ALL thanks to the poisonous drugs! Jippie!" Happened me a couple of times... sad smiley
Pain can sometimes be a great motivator.

Thank god I'm not a "medical" doctor so I can give as much advise I want! Mohaha!

I would waterfast for 1-3 days, 5 liters/day, then start fruit-leafygreens-juicefast without citrus. For professional help, call David Klein, it's worth it!

Do you think you can read David Kleins book 3-5 times in 3 days while you fast?

Healing will be present and pain will be 99% gone on a regular raw food diet. It's mostly just irritating in the long run.

Re: Croons Disease, Ulcerative colitis IBID?
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 16, 2009 08:11PM

When I think about what cooking does to food fiber I can't help but wonder what is the effect of that change on the body and its elimination ? As an example of the change that occurs in food fiber take a couple of carrots and cook one while leaving the other in its natural rawness. Now take a fork and mash the two carrots up. Notice how easily the cooked carrot turns to mush. Now notice how resistant to mashing the fresh raw carrot is. Do you think the food fiber has changed ? what effect does that change have on the movement of food through the body ?

Date: January 16, 2009 08:31PM

Steaming broccoli and carrots will be much softer on the tender intestines. Great to use when transitioning to the healing-phase/food.

Date: January 16, 2009 08:33PM

Healthybun, I just went to the market, and bought some Pinapple and papaya..

Im guessing pinapple is highly citrus? I also got an orange in the fridge and some strawberries..

Just stick to the papaya? What other fruits you got to offer me? :]

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: January 16, 2009 09:14PM

This is my personal opinion, I would stear clear of acid fruits. David Klein talks about it in his book. I like apples myself, peeling them and then eating seems to go down well for me with alot of chewing in between. I feel the best when I'm juicing greens. Just my two cents, again, I'm no expert. Healing will come. Like you said just think positive and take it one day at a time. Healing takes a long time, think of how sensitive and raw your colon is right now. It just really needs to rest, but you still need nutrients! Especially if you are underweight, that's why I love juicing.

Good luck to you, we are all here for you and you can do it.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 17, 2009 05:48AM

Lizard

I like apples myself, peeling them and then eating seems to go down well for me with alot of chewing in between.

I sure agree about the apple. I frequently eat an apple to separate mono meals of different foods especially changes between fruits and vegetables.

Date: January 17, 2009 08:45AM

Apple (peeled)
celery
pears (these are great!)
grapes
cucumber peeled

papaya
mango
bananas

This should get you started until you got Davids book.

Posted by: DaisyHair ()
Date: August 09, 2009 10:32PM

I was just last week Dx with Crohn's.
I have been having intestinal issues and was drawn to Raw just last month.

I am so glad to have found this thread. I have been suffering for years on and off.

Anyone get the sores on the roof of your mouth?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 09, 2009 11:07PM

Welcome, DaisyHair! You will find threads here about IBD, etc., very helpful!

Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: August 10, 2009 01:02PM

DaisyHair

Hi Daisy Hair, I have Ulcerative colitis, welcome, so far the raw foods deit has been wonderful for healing it. I have had little to no symptoms. I don't get sores on the roof of my mouth but I do get them on the sides. like cold sores. this has gotten better since going raw.

Posted by: amghp ()
Date: January 20, 2013 04:48AM

Hi All, I see that no posts have been made for some time however I am trying to work out the best raw food diet for me.
I have ulcerative colitis, without a major flare for 2 years, but also have a mild lactose intolerance and fructose malabsorption.
I'm a little scared of trying all the juices.
Any suggestions?

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: January 22, 2013 01:56AM

I would steer clear of sprouted grains. I have gluten-intolerance and had a little problem with fruits at first, but it went away pretty fast. Just eat raw fruits, vegetables, sea vegetables, fermented vegetables, sprouts, nuts/seeds, dried fruits. If you have a problem keeping up your weight, eat a lot of bananas, dates, fresh figs, coconut, avocados. Have a green smoothie every day.

You may also want to avoid the specific foods in the SCD - specific carbohydrate diet - to give your stomach time to heal -

[www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 22, 2013 07:18PM

amghp,

Veggies, focus on veggies and low glycemic fruits, and take your time--let your body tell you what it rejects and listen to it!

Posted by: maryseredblossom ()
Date: January 08, 2014 05:08PM

I have a colitis. i have followed the SCD diet for a month last august, which helped me a lot but, there is something that tells me that raw food is the real solution. i just spent 3 weeks eating really bad because i was in the family of my fiancé in the usa and well.. i would like to hear your input about what you would suggest first for me in order to enter into the raw food world.

i am familiar with it since i did 2 times a cleanse of a month with only raw food in the past, but this was before the colitis.

thanks a lot!

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: January 13, 2014 02:54PM

Again, I would eat a raw version of the SCD or GAPS diet - no meat or dairy, of course. Maybe leave off the fruit at first and then introduce one fruit at a time - maybe start with apples or bananas so you could make green smoothies. Use more vegetables and sprouts and nuts/seeds or nut/seed butters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables