Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

my sis brought lice >.<
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 31, 2010 10:09PM

sooo yeah, title says it all, and here I am, fresh out of tea tree/peppermint/cedarwood/cinnamon oil I used last time, any suggestions for something incredibly cheap that works? as im nearly broke...lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: my sis brought lice >.<
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 31, 2010 10:27PM

OMG shave your head and put everything you own into the drier for at least 20 mins including all bedding, pillows, couch cushions, etc. Don't let anything catch on fire in there. If you think stuff that won't fit in the drier (furniture, carpets) has come in contact with the wee itchy critters check online and see if putting it outside in the cold is viable. Gah, best of luck.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: January 01, 2011 01:25AM

Ick. I had those as a kid. Mom just used the awful, chemical concoction RID. It was effective, but probably explains what's wrong with me today. :/

Good luck getting rid of those things. On the bright side,it wasn't bed bugs.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: January 01, 2011 04:14AM

Well, if you are truly broke, maybe you could ask a friend for a little bit of his/her Oregano Oil. It will work. The oils you listed aren't necessarily strong enough for lice. Best of luck.

Date: January 01, 2011 08:32AM

hmmm, well I dont know of anyone with oregano oil, But I have killed lice with the oils I listed be4, but that doesnt matter much as I dont have them now, nor the money to buy them,lol... also, coco, unless we dont want our furniture anymore, putting it outside isnt much of an option, my sister just did the first nice thing she has done since being here and offered to pay for the chemical treatment for head and house... wont pay for anything else cause she thinks thats crazy hippy crap...lol... but I guess chemicals are better than having lice...maybe ALso, one cool thing to report, as of yet, I seem to be the only person here who is not infested with lice, they couldnt even find a single egg on me... I hope it stays that way... (oh, and dryer trick is awesome coco, unfortunately clothes are about all we can fit in ours, im considering a trip to a laundry mat that has HUUUUGE dryers, but im not sure if I want to risk spreading this stuff to other people there...would make me feel crappy.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: January 01, 2011 01:52PM

If it's bagged up and goes straight into the drier then into a fresh bag it will be fine. Best of luck. Lots of green juice to detox those yummy chemies later on...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 01, 2011 02:40PM

Take you sis up on her offer; the stuff is toxic, but unlike so many mainstream things, it also works, ha-ha! Make sure you consume boatloads of detoxifying drinks to get your body through the experience. As for the clothing and bedding, hot water wash followed by steam(if your machine has this feature), or just two cycles on hot. Dryer on hot for two cycles also. Lice survive cold temps, so chilling them won't be effective(sorry, coco). Good luck, kiddo.

[www.nyc.gov]

Date: January 02, 2011 12:02AM

hmmm,thanks tam, I did take her up on it, I haven't used it yet as I am still lice free, my Big sister has used some as she ahd gotten lice, and its killed her lice, and my sis also bought this spray we have used in the house, and im thinking of Lice bombing the room my sister stayed in, just to make sure...lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: January 02, 2011 12:05AM

The spray is a great idea. Do use the drier though, high heat kills them very well. Be careful to check your hair regularly, even on teensy egg and you're infested in no time.

Date: January 02, 2011 12:06AM

I forgot to mention, no, there is no steam option on our washer... its fairly old, thanks for the info though, two cycles on hot... (a full cycle on my dryer is 90 minutes...)

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 02, 2011 08:27PM

LOL! I thought you said your sister purchased lice!

Date: January 02, 2011 10:44PM

ROFLMAO... oh, and I still seem to be completely lice free, I dont know why, my big sister has gotten it again, my little sister has left to go home and has reported back that she is infested again...and I still haven't even gotten it once, I was so scared of getting it, but im home free it seems!lol...I still washed all my bedding and pillows and stuff... I used lysol in the wash, as I heard this can actually kill lice, then washed it again, then dryed through 2-90 minute cycles on hot... each load...I spent all day yesterday washing stuff,lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: January 02, 2011 11:58PM

Do you eat a lot of raw garlic? Fleas don't like to bite animals that have that added to their diets and lice are just human fleas after all.

Date: January 03, 2011 12:06AM

actually, yeah, I do, blended up with usually some sort of citrus, olive oil, vinegar of various types... over salads/veggies... maybe that had something to do with it? I dunno...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: merry ()
Date: January 14, 2011 06:04PM

neem oil / leaf is supposed to work really well but I dont have any personal experience with it.

Date: January 15, 2011 04:40PM

Just found this

Getting rid of head lice is a three-step process. You must kill all the live lice, check for and remove all the nits by combing and manual nit picking, and you must do a thorough job of cleaning the infested person's belongings and home environment.

Doctor Lawrence Schachner of the University of Miami School of Medicine has found what he believes is the best, fastest natural remedy for head lice yet: petroleum jelly. This cure works not by poisoning the lice (like the prescription drugs available), but by smothering them. Dr. Schachner recommends slathering petroleum jelly on your child's scalp and hair in the evening before bed. Then put a shower cap on the child and let him sleep the night with the cap on. By morning, the lice and knits are smothered. The down side? Children must do repeated shampoos to remove the petroleum jelly, so their hair may look oily for a while.

By Robert Fioravante
[www.hfnn.ca]

Date: January 15, 2011 11:54PM

I suggested my sister do that with mayonaise, as I had read that could work, she said it worked, except they didnt do a good job of cleaning up the home... and got lice again... im still lice free though, so im goodsmiling smiley (I have also heard the olive oil would work as well)

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: January 24, 2011 12:31PM

The topical treatments are important but you have to get the nits out by combing and picking out by hand.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 25, 2011 03:34PM

Stop flapping - we've had them a couple of times and I just put loads of conditioner in my hair and comb away - do this every couple of days till you're clear. My partner has never ever had lice even when the kids and I have (and he is pretty close to me ha ha )and I have never bothered to do all the bed changing and manic cleaning malarky. You'll be ok - it's nothing to get freaked about just a bit of an itchy nuisance - and you haven't even got them. Perhaps you'll be like my fella and just not get them.

Date: January 25, 2011 11:05PM

this was taken care of long ago,lol... but people keep replying to the thread without reading through that the problem has been resolved... im not the one flapping,lol... I was fine once I realized I was the only one without them,lol. (although my sister IS still battling them, and has tried every suggestion given, including conditioner which was suggested by one of her friends, I think her issue is just not cleaning her house well enough to keep the lice from coming back...)
And if that stuff is malarkey, then the vast majority of people who get them wouldn't report having such a hard time getting rid of them... there are multiple varieties to, some of which are far more prolific than others, maybe you lucked out and got one of the weaker varieties?

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: January 25, 2011 11:11PM

These threads exist long after the op may be satisfied with an answer so they become common ground for information and really have nothing to do with the op at that point at all. Don't take it personally, it's not about you winking smiley. Someone will come along and find every post in here of interest and potential value.

Date: January 25, 2011 11:13PM

hopefully, on another note, I used the olive oil method myself a few days ago, not to remove lice, but thought id try it for hair, as my hair as become really rough and coarse since I moved here with this really hard water, and the difference is pretty amazinggrinning smiley lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: January 25, 2011 11:16PM

If you heat it up first and wrap your head in plastic covered by a thick towel turban it is supposed to help it really sink in. I want to start no-pooing our hair soon but am afraid to do it in this wretched weather, blagh.

Date: January 25, 2011 11:23PM

I did that actually except I didnt heat it...I wrapped it in plastic wrap, then a towel, and slept in it all night, now its super sleek and shiny...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables