Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What Would U Buy if u had $100 a Month to Spend on Supplements?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 19, 2011 01:48AM

I like this couple, they are cute and funny and just ordinary folk.
[renegadehealth.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Would U Buy if u had $100 a Month to Spend on Supplements?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 19, 2011 12:05PM

Personally supplementation should be tailored to the individual, sure there is overall products which are good for everyone but i still feel it should on an individual basis.

Being that i bodybuild, extra protein is vital and im enjoying sunwarrior raw protein at the moment definitely the best raw vegan protein on the market.

If i wasn't eating seaweeds regularly then some seaweed blend as well seaweeds are one of the healthiest foods on the planet.

Im regularly stressed so any adaptogenic herb for adrenal support. Herbal powders are pretty cheap overall compared to expensive encapsulated formulas so i could probably get a few months worth and make a great blend of herbs.

And of course b12 sublingual but if i could get my hands on then injections.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: March 19, 2011 02:20PM

They have a B12 patch listed in their picks, that would be great for the kids as I can't get them to sublingual anything tongue sticking out smiley. I could put it on when they fell asleep and take it off before they woke up, they'd never even know!

Date: March 19, 2011 03:24PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They have a B12 patch listed in their picks, that
> would be great for the kids as I can't get them to
> sublingual anything tongue sticking out smiley. I could put it on when
> they fell asleep and take it off before they woke
> up, they'd never even know!

Ive used them before, but i have no idea of there efficiency as ive not really read anything on them apart from the sites that sell them.

If i remember the patch is so small that its of little inconvenience so they probably wouldn't mind putting it on whilst awake sort of like a plaster. They were expensive though if i remember.

Date: March 19, 2011 03:48PM

There is no way to put anything on a 3 year old and not have her mess with it. Seriously, I can't get her to stop eating her toys and craft supplies, shoes, hair brush, etc. 3 year olds are not the most reasonable of people I'm afraid.

Date: March 19, 2011 04:00PM

Haha aww, i never realized so young, are your children full vegan also?

Fortified b12 foods should also help if its an issue.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: March 19, 2011 04:09PM

No, not full vegan (we live close to free range happy chickens winking smiley). I put D3 and B12 into their smoothies most days but who knows if they are absorbing that, it's supposed to go under the tongue. What sort of fortified foods? We don't eat much out of packages, it's generally all whole foods.

Date: March 19, 2011 04:32PM

Nutritional yeast in the US not sure about Canada(thats where you are eh?) red star is the brand is fortified, various cereals, soya milk etc.

What dosage of D3? try to take breaks from it as high dose long term isn't a great idea. Same with b12, we store good amounts in our liver so its not something that needs to be taken daily unless low/deficient of course.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: March 19, 2011 04:38PM

Our new doc (with a heavy natural bent, thank goodness!) suggests the D every day, the B12 too. I miss days though to be honest, we are pretty busy. 1000 mcg b, 1000 iu d.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 19, 2011 04:58PM

one of the products they mention, Holy Basil - Tulsi, how helpful do you think it would be to add that to the mixture of stuff im already going to be purchasing Chris? (I may just grow some, its fairly easy to grow if I remember right...)

Date: March 19, 2011 05:59PM

My last post didn't go through as i had posted a few in a row. Holy basil is a great herb curator.

B12 is one nutrient that doesn't need to be supplemented daily as the liver holds adequate stores i.e for years. Unless your deficient or low then there is no need. This is also why vegans can go many years without supplementing b12 with no problems.

Date: March 19, 2011 06:19PM

I am pretty sure we are getting nearly zero dietary b12. And I've read that by the time a deficiency shows up it's done damage already. I don't mind taking it daily, it's water soluble from what I've read. Better safe than sorry especially with the kids.
We do eat nutritional yeast, I've heard that's a b12 analogue though.

Date: March 19, 2011 06:41PM

Depends on the nutritional yeast, red star brand as far as i know is fortified unlike UK nutritional yeast so not an analog. Soya milk also can be a good source depending on the brand.

Prolonged deficiency can cause damage and you have great thinking there is no point in risking it.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: March 19, 2011 07:23PM

We don't do much soy at all either, a bit of miso and very rarely tofu. Very rarely. I just get the yeast bulk and we have it now and then, not regularly. Really, there aren't a lot of food sources out there.

Date: March 19, 2011 07:29PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We don't do much soy at all either, a bit of miso
> and very rarely tofu. Very rarely. I just get the
> yeast bulk and we have it now and then, not
> regularly. Really, there aren't a lot of food
> sources out there.

Just to make sure i didn't mean soya contains b12, just that soya milk tends to be fortified with b12.

Your right about that coco for sure.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 19, 2011 08:02PM

I wouldn't take supplements like vitamins and stuff. Having worked in a natural foods stores for several years, I was able to get free samples all the time and came to the conclusion that they hurt the body (at least mine) rather than help it. If supplements include green foods, sea weed, and bee pollen (sorry), then that's another story. Maybe ashwanganda, maca, and other adaptogenic herbs...

Date: March 19, 2011 08:56PM

I agree synthetic supplements should be used rarely or not at all if possible. The exceptions with b12, vitamin D etc. Or in my case i had a major magnesium deficiency and not due to absorption problems but because of stress. All the magnesium in my diet made no difference unless i supplemented back to normal levels which was part of my problem with chronic fatigue syndrome. Magnesium is so important.

Some people even class dried fruit such as goji a supplement i guess its the way they've been marketed but to me its just a dried fruit such as incan berries which i love as a snack.

Anyone can be as anti-supplement as they want when there healthy but part of my health problems was metal toxicity also, it would have took me years upon years to chelate via pectins in my diet ie probably apples etc. Or i could chelate via seaweeds, chlorella etc and reduce the time im ill. I know which one id choose.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: March 19, 2011 09:03PM

Most of the things we take are food source, it's just like eating food but concentrated. That's a good thing sometimes considering how nutrient depleted the soil is these days and how far things travel to get to our plates.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 19, 2011 09:33PM

I think I would buy Biofood. that is what i am using right now. its a combo of three algae, and it does great stuff. At least I think so. If I had unlimited funds i would probably up the dose up to the recommended amount. Like taking up to 2-3 caps every 2 hours through out the day. thats an astonishing amount!

The producers say that in theory one could live entirely on the stuff. I don't know what would happen if one did that.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 28, 2011 10:19PM

I would just use it to buy good organic produce.

Vinny

Date: March 29, 2011 04:19PM

I agree unless you have some health problem that can be relieved by taking said herb, supplement etc.

When i was sitting with extremely high levels of heavy metals i wouldn't have wanted to rely on pectins in my diet to take care of that, i would have been ill for years at that rate. Same goes for my very low levels of magnesium which a good diet just wasn't taking care of at all. So yeah what i mean is these supplements have there place.

If your healthy then good wholesome diet will prevent most problems that would make you need certain herbs, supplements and so on. So focusing on buying the best quality food in that case would be ideal although if you do have extra money and want to supplement with extra anti-cancer, immune boosting compounds i cant see the issue really.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables