Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can anyone recommend what Essential Oils to buy?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 22, 2009 09:43PM

I'm going to start making my own cleaning products, soaps, deodorants, massage oils, etc, and also want to use essential oils instead of OTC and prescription drugs for things like sinusitis, coughs, allergies, etc. I also occasionally suffer from migraines.

I've been browsing and trying to read more on some of the less-common oils, but don't want to buy things I'll never use, so I could use some advice from people who use oils and what you use them for, and if you have any favorites. I am also not sure on quantities, so any advice would be great as far as what things are really strong and require only a drop or two, or what things I should buy in larger sizes.

Here's what I'm thinking of getting so far:
Lavender (in a large size, since I love the smell and will use this a lot)
Peppermint
Tea Tree
Orange or Pink Grapefruit
Rosemary
Eucalyptus
Citronella
Camphor

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can anyone recommend what Essential Oils to buy?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 22, 2009 10:53PM

this a good one too keep on hand Ylang-ylang

This extremely fragrant essential oil has a calming effect on the mind and body and is used in cases of frigidity and impotence. It has a wonderfully balancing and stimulating effect on the skin, to correct sebum production and is also used to stimulate hair growth.

Oil properties
It has an exotic, sweet smell and is slightly yellow in color.

Origin of Ylang-ylang oil
It is a tall tropical tree about 20 meters (60 feet) high with large, tender, fragrant pink, mauve or yellow flowers and is cultivated in Java, Sumatra, Reunion, Madagascar and the Comores. The name means 'flower of flowers'.

In Indonesia, the flower petals are strewn upon the bed on wedding nights. The oil was once a popular ingredient of hair preparations in Europe and was known as macassar oil. The word "anti-macassar" originated from this, since an anti-maccasar was used to keep hair oil from staining upholstered furniture.

Extraction
Ylang-ylang oil is extracted from the freshly picked flowers by water or steam distillation.

The first distillation is called Ylang-ylang extra, which is the top grade. An absolute and concrete are also produced by solvent extraction.

Chemical composition
The main chemical components are linalool, geranyl acetate, caryophyllene, p-cresyl methyl ether, methyl benzoate, benzyl acetate, benzyl benzoate and other sesquiterpenes.

There are different 'pressings' of ylang-ylang oil - with them being called 'extra' and then 1st, 2nd and 3rd pressing. The extra is the very first pressing and contains the highest amounts of esters and therefore has the sweetest odor, while the later pressings have a less-sweet odor.

The 'extra' is not used in aromatherapy, but used in the perfume industry and to have a 'complete' essential oil for aromatherapy, the 'extra' is combined with the 1st and 2nd pressings to form the complete ylang-ylang essential oil.

The ylang-ylang oil supplied by us is the best quality 'complete' oil that can be purchased.

Precautions
It is classed as a non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing oil, yet could cause sensitivity have been reported and excessive use of it can lead to headaches and nausea.

Therapeutic properties
The therapeutic properties of ylang-ylang oil are antidepressant, antiseborrhoeic, antiseptic, aphrodisiac, hypotensive, nervine and sedative.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: January 23, 2009 05:08PM

I like clary sage. For balance.

Date: January 24, 2009 08:01PM

i only use tea tree oil for cleaning, maybe sweet orange oil if i have something with stubborn dust. the rest are nice but for other things. i say start simple with just one or two.

Posted by: zanjabil ()
Date: January 29, 2009 09:02PM

Lime oil is a great disinfectant, I use it for bathrooms, diaper pail and areas where hands touch frequently. Lemon is good also, I like it for kitchen. The list you have are all great choices, I keep all of those on hand.

Date: January 30, 2009 04:32PM

Thanks, everyone, these suggestions are helpful. I can't wait to get these and start using them.

Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: January 30, 2009 04:48PM

I LIKE NATURE'S INVENTORY- CHECK IT OUT ONLINE. THEY HAVE MANY COMBO HERBS FOR SPECIFIC AILMENTS, AND OFFER SAMPLES! LOVE IT! JANICE

Date: January 30, 2009 05:07PM

Thanks for the link. The combos look interesting, I may end up just making some of my own.

The site I will be ordering from is Mountain Rose Herbs, they have lots of oils and other great and hard-to-find ingredients for making soap or almost any kind of homemade recipes.

Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: January 31, 2009 04:36PM

Also, Angelica oil, that is hard ot find is a very relaxing herb. Janice

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables