Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Soy Lecithin: How It Negatively Affects Your Health And Why You Need To Avoid It
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 14, 2011 01:01PM

Interesting. I can't say I disagree with what's stated here about the downsides of (especially unfermented) soy.

[preventdisease.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Soy Lecithin: How It Negatively Affects Your Health And Why You Need To Avoid It
Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 23, 2011 05:09PM

The awesome thing is when you eat all whole/raw foods, it's easy to avoid.

Re: Soy Lecithin: How It Negatively Affects Your Health And Why You Need To Avoid It
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 28, 2011 01:11PM

Interesting.
This is on the same level as brewers yeast and whey protein.
A waste product sold as a supplement.

Vinny

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: April 28, 2011 02:04PM

I've been giving it to my dogs in Dr. Pitcarin's healthy powder. It helps the texture of their bowel movements.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: May 08, 2011 06:57PM

eaglefly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting.
> This is on the same level as brewers yeast and
> whey protein.
> A waste product sold as a supplement.
>
>
> Vinny

Yes. It's disgusting. I finally got my partner off whey protein. So so happy about that. He was drinking it by the pound every day. He switched to another protein powder made of egg. I wish I could get him off powders all together but he feels he must ingest millions of tons of protein every day to have good workouts. It's hard to change someone's mind when they firmly believe this...

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: May 12, 2011 10:35PM

I met this old woman at the local supermarket. A local hospital does free mini blood work, and exams. Like blood pressure, blood sugar, cholestrol. I was amazed she was 85 and still did snow shoveling! I found it curious how. She uses a little mini sholve which moves about a 5x8 inch area of snow, and she sits in a chair to reach down. Then she walks to the edge of the drive way with it.

She says it takes long to do it, but she has plenty of time. Anyways she takes lecithin to control her cholestrol, along with some other supplements and herbs in pills etc. She claims to manage her health problems this way, no medications. I don't know is this good, or a bad thing?

She doesn't seem to be negatively influenced by the lecithin, I am sure its soy devrived. not to defend its use, but she swears by it. I used to take some years ago. along with brewers yeast and whey. I don't touch any of those now. It makes me wonder what made me think they were good. I guess marketing.

Date: May 12, 2011 10:53PM

Her parents ate real food, breathed clean air, drank pure water and lived in age when people had less stress, time for themselves, etc. They made a strong healthy baby, stronger and healthier than our parents made. That's it, no mystery there I'd say.
She stays active and has a good attitude and doesn't take drugs too, all points in her favour!

Date: May 13, 2011 04:31PM

Gads, what does that mean for other generations?

Date: May 13, 2011 05:06PM

Pottenger's cats. Our generation is in bad shape, our kids even worse, and theirs are doomed. I don't think that's too drastic either.

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: May 14, 2011 12:23AM

Are all "lecithin granules" soy based?

Date: May 14, 2011 01:16AM

I have some sunflower lecithin in the fridge to use for recipes.

Date: May 14, 2011 10:34PM

Coco,
I was thinking of how my mother in law. (mil) is about the same age, but she hasn't taken care of herself. She certainly is not into supplements of any type, well until recently. Her daughter who is a professional nutritionist suggested calcium carbonate and vitamin D to speed healing of her neck which was broken a few months ago.

I really had to practice a lot of patience, as my suggestion of a whole food concentrate with power foods was totally ignored. I decided to let them both figure it out. I am personally not too surprised that several months later it hasn't healed up at all. I have no proof that my suggestion would have worked, but somehow I think it would have done more.

So I just say 'whatever'. It kind of pisses me off because the daughters suggestions have so much more weight. On account of being a nutritionist and her daughter. i guess that makes for more trust. Keep in mind she plans childrens menus for the school district, and shes upset that the school board forced her to remove fried foods from the menu! Can you believe she fought against that and is still upset that she didn't get her way?

Anyways, the old woman at the supermarket seems to be in better health. probably eats better, and is definately more active. But the soy lecithin thing...if it was that bad, don't you think it might have negatively influenced her? I guess its difficult to say, everything else she is doing might actually be what is keeping her healthy.

Date: May 14, 2011 11:27PM

Who knows, these things are certainly accumulative but also completely subject to our general level of health.
Your sister in law, no offence, is an idiot. She probably liked it when Reagan declared ketchup a vegetable for purposes of designing a balanced lunch for school programs. No wonder there is such a health crisis in our youth.

Date: May 15, 2011 01:03PM

Coco,
No offense taken. I am continually amazed at what she considers sound nutrition. There are other things that I am sometimes surprised at also. She seems to know about recommendations for vitamins and minerals. And is unconcerned if it comes from a pill or some powder or liquid preparation, nor how artificial it might be.

Artificial colors, artificial sweetners and other food additives are also not a concern as long as it meets fda approval.

Thank you for your patience I shouldn't complain about other peoples perception and habits. When I heard she was a nutritionist, I thought for sure she would serve only whole foods without these things to her children. I am just surprised I thought that was an ideal for even conventional nutrition.

Date: May 15, 2011 07:10PM

Sometimes the problem with educated people or those with "credentials" is that they graduate from their classes and think that's all they need to know when really, they have just scratched the surface. But they have their paperwork in order and that is the end of it for them. They don't care about any further learning, they are satisfied with an extremely limited body of work representing their chosen field and more than willing to toe the line when it comes to official party doctrine (who funds her schooling and sets the guidelines? The same people responsible for lobbying gov't to allow all sorts of crap in foods, lax labeling laws etc). You are genuinely interested in this and doing it for your health, she is doing it to make a living. Which of you is most likely to feel passionately about it and want to know more? I will never stop reading and searching and questioning because I want to know, for me, and want to continuously improve. That makes others look like lazy slackers though so they fall back on their supposed expertise and refuse to see past it to the evolving truth. Too bad. For THEM.

Date: May 15, 2011 09:04PM

Coco,
Great response. Something to think about. Career is one thing, but taking care of oneself and children is another? She must honestly believe its ok, because she eats what she serves at the school.

Date: May 15, 2011 09:40PM

I will bet you anything that she suspects the truth but is too invested in her current paradigm to do anything other than resist that knowledge. That's why people get so defensive sometimes, because they suspect that they are wrong and their ego freaks out. If she is wrong what she does every day, all the meals she has fed her children and advised others to eat have been detrimental to them. What a revelation! Most people are not ready for that much truth, it can be painful so better to stay in the illusion is the self-protective action many unconsciously act on.

Take your own experience for example. This has not been a pain-free process for you, there are many "growing pains", lots of uncomfortable transition, struggle to find what really works. Not everyone is interested in that, despite the benefits.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 16, 2011 10:42AM

Its sad but if she really knew what she was doing she wouldn't be using calcium carbonate which neutralizes stomach acid. The most important nutrient in bone health is silica.

Which then will reduce the absorption of various proteins and minerals such as silica which are vital for healing.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: May 16, 2011 12:31PM

The ashwaghanda and modifilian I was taking have just run out so I've started the silica as well as milk thistle and yellow dock tinctures. Still doing whole food zinc, multi, omegas, whole food iron (I am chronically low) D3 and B12 liquid. It seems like a lot but much of it is therapeutic and I feed it's helping me out. When away at the Yoga retreat I will likely not bring much with me at all.

Date: May 16, 2011 12:32PM

powerlifer
Wow, well what would an 80 year old woman eat to speed healing of her bones? Shes not incredibly open to new things either. But am am thinking that a better approach is for me to start thinking 'what is she doing right?' Even if I don't say a word, if I mentally see what shes doing for herself thats good.

Coco,
I don't think my sil and mil have the openness to rethink things. But I am thinking differently, or trying to. "what are they doing right?" My mil is generally very genereous and really caring. She likes to prepare foods her grandchildren like, its very loving, although I often wish it was loving and better nutritionally, but one step at a time I guess. Its more difficult to see what my sil is doing right I have never seen her at work, and she doesn't prepare food much. She likes to give gifts from time to time, they aren't much, but its something. Like if someone gives her something at work, and she doesn't need it she tries to place it else where its needed or wanted.

Date: May 16, 2011 12:53PM

Mislu: If stomach acid is low due to age i would primarily focus on raising it with raw apple cider vinegar mid meal and/or bitter herbs on the back of the tongue pre meal. Many of the vital nutrients needed for bone health are acid dependent for absorption.

Id then focus on supplementing with some form of silica i.e food grade diatomaceous earth.

Nothing wrong with supplementing calcium or magnesium as they are important bone nutrients but best to use acidified types such as malate/citrate if you do. Better for absorption and don't neutralize stomach acid.

This is all pending on that she isn't on any medications.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 12:53PM by powerlifer.

Date: May 16, 2011 05:35PM

Powerlifter,
Great ideas. The problem is she is on several meds. She probably wouldn't take the supplements unless her doctor and her daughter recommended them. I will keep them in mind.

What about foods? She occationally has a small amount of swiss chard soup, she makes that maybe about every 6 weeks. Probably not enough to make a huge difference in anything. She surpised me recently however. She asked me to slice up a tomato for lunch, she had it with just some olive oil and some salt and pepper. She also had a bowl of fresh pineapple last night. I was surprised to see it gone.

She likes to eat frozen waffles (reg. aunt Jamima) low calorie syrup, fried eggs, generally white bread. Although she recently started eating our sprouty bread we get. She makes her own pasta sauce, fried oil with garlic, then she adds a can of tomato sauce and adds herbs. She eats ice cream, drinks reduced sugar oj, occationally makes her own cake and sugar free puddings. Maybe once or twice a week she has a fruit of some type, like orange or bannana. Shes supposed to have a bannana every day, but she doesn't always do that. She just got a bag of potatoes for baking. She might have a few of those a week. Once a month she might have liver pate. daily she might have some type of ham and cheese for sandwhich. She regularly uses several pats of butter on white bread toast.

So just to give you an idea of her general eating patterns. Usually they are pretty small serving sizes, or at least what she lets people see her eat. Any suggestions for improvement which might actually 'take'?

Date: May 16, 2011 06:35PM

More greens would be a good start, seaweeds too which are rich in silica but again this depends on what meds she is on. Its hard to say without knowing and again most of the nutrients for bone health are acid dependent mate.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: May 16, 2011 06:40PM

thank you. I can just hope that she gets what she needs. She hates wearing the collar. She has been told by her doctor that It may never heal. Isn't that a horrible thing to hear?

Date: May 16, 2011 07:39PM

Can you imagine only having fruit once or twice a week? Once or twice a day is not even enough for me!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 16, 2011 11:35PM

The dearth of greens in the diet was what frightened me: swiss chard only every month and a half--yikes!

Date: May 17, 2011 12:13PM

Well, its concerning its true. Its not even ideal fruit or greens. She always buys convential produce and everything on sale. I used to think that was such a drag, and perhaps still do. But its really a strength to be frugal. Still one could be frugal and have better quality food and variety.

She really likes her veggies cooked down to mush also. The swiss chard stew is exactly that with some beans. I hope she gets something out of it.

Date: May 17, 2011 12:47PM

It's fairly easy to get enough vitamins, they are abundant. It's the minerals that we generally fall short in but those are not changed by cooking (unlike vitamins) so she is surely gaining something beneficial from her stew. Things won't be in the perfect balance as they are with fresh, raw produce but it's not valueless.

Date: May 19, 2011 08:27PM

coco,
Thank you. I will just hope that shes doing something good. I just went out and bought her some new bottles of calcium carbonate with vitamin d. I almost bought one with a broader spectrum of minerals, but I know she would have thrown a fit if it wasn't exactly what she requested. they were on sale at the local mini mart. Is there some blessing thing i can say and wave my hand over the bottles to maximize their effect? and reduce any negative effect? I certainly wish by thinking it will help her...

Date: May 19, 2011 09:43PM

Thinking so may help you smiling smiley.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables