Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Why are grains said to be devoid of vitamins and minerals?
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: June 17, 2011 03:16AM

Does the cooking process really destroy most of it? I looked up quinoa on CRON-O-Meter and it's high in B-vitamins as well as copper, magnesium, iron, manganese, phosphorous.

If I were to replace 300 calories worth of quinoa with a mono fruit, I would then have to get the aformentioned vitamins and minerals from another source because the fruit (say, banana or watermelon) wouldn't satisfy these requirements. Is this right? I suppose more greens could be added too.

Are these nutrients in cooked grains just fools gold?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why are grains said to be devoid of vitamins and minerals?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 17, 2011 11:20AM

Cooking doesn't lower the nutrients as much as some raw foodists would like you to believe. But heating food does lower it somewhat.

The vast majority of the population would be dead if cooked food destroyed as much nutrients as some make out.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 17, 2011 03:59PM

Who said grains were devoid of nutrients? Are you confusing it with refined grains, where they take out the B vitamins?

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: June 17, 2011 04:14PM

I think grains are missing or low in particular nutrients. For instance vitamin C, unless you sprout them. Beta carotene is low unless sprouted also. The other problem is that some people are sensitive or allergic to them. Milling of grain doesn't help that is for sure.

The main question is if its appropriate human food, or the best human food. Anything that is alive or has once been alive has some kind of nutrient in it. Toxic plants have vitamins/minerals, but that doesn't make it a good source of anything if you can't eat it. I still eat grains, they are cheap and filling, but I have gone without them, and I feel better in most ways without them. For some reason people seem to think they are essential. I am not sure why. I guess its the four food groups kind of thinking. But there are cultures in the world that lived completely grain free.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 17, 2011 07:53PM

As far as I know, grains that are criticized for being nutrient sparse are milled degerminated grains--think, Wonder Bread. What does Cron-o-Meter say about raw sprouted grains? I bet they are pretty high for many of the B Vitamins and minerals.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: June 18, 2011 01:03PM

yes, wonder bread is nutrient sparse. But some people think its worth something because the lable says so, due to a few minerals and vitamins they added. I once lived in this backward town, they seriously thought that wonder bread was healthy. I thought they were cracking a joke. When I laughed really hardily about it, it was meant with a serious look of disapproval.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: June 20, 2011 10:41PM

I don't know about nutrients, but a lot of people, like myself, cannot digest grains, they irritate our gut lining too much and cause leaky gut. So even if there are nutrients, they are not absorbed. And it's a really nasty downward cycle if you continue to eat them, when you react this way.

I'm sure it isn't that way for everyone though. I was sick with autoimmune disease all my life and my gut ended up being destroyed by food allergies, alcohol, N-saids, and a pretty traumatic early life.

My partner didn't have any of those issues and he seems to do fine with cooked rice or quinoa. He is gluten free though.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 25, 2011 03:50AM

My understanding is that B vitamins are easily destroyed by heat, but the minerals in grains are not.

So yes, if you're not getting the minerals from grains, you do have to get enough of them somewhere else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables