Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

a quite tragic update
Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: February 08, 2009 09:43PM

well, Im writing from the hospital I have been here for the last week.

I ended up on water fasting, I ended up speaking to david klien and paul nison over the phone, I even visited oriental medicine here in san diego and recievved help.
my fast lead me to grave danger I ended up in the emergency room almost in a coma.

my body lost all nutrients, I had constant constant blood loss and diarea anemia malnutrition I am not on many different medications wich have stopped my bleeding, the inflammation is still there but not as sever as before. my bowel movements are back more to normal then before and I am eating again. unfortuunatly living in the hopsital fo ra week I am far far far from healthy or raw food, for the first time in 2 years Im eating chicken and turkey, also my parents haave brought me some food from whole foods but telling the truth the pain has been quite unfcomfortable. this entire experience was quite scary.

i blame nobody but myself and my own self interest in trying to heal myself from this disease naturally, I am now on higher medicines then before, and will soon be starting an immune suppressent called Imuran.
The hospital did save my life. the transittion almost killed me...

my futue goals. Im planning on maintaining the medicine and seeing where it goes.

slowly slowly transitioning into a more healthful and pleantyful diet.

i ended up 115lbs barely able to carry myself. im doing better now as you can see I am on compouter, just thought people may have wondered what happen with me.

i think david klien and paul nison should really be more careful with the advice they are dishing out, the influence of these books really can put people in the hospital. david kleins voice on the phone was far from humble, in fact he cared more about 20dollars then my health. however, so be it Im starting a road to recovery. basiically having to jump start my muscles and body all over again and its quite hard but I will do it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a quite tragic update
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: February 08, 2009 10:50PM

We definitely haven't forgotten you Syd, and am very glad for your update. So
sorry to hear the juice fasting and fruit route wasn't sustaining or
particularly helpful in any way. You say that your inflammation is down a bit,
so maybe something good has come of all your effort.

Was it a juice fast that you finally went with, or a water fast? And when you
say the transition almost killed you, do you mean to raw juices/fasting or to
hospitalization?

Date: February 09, 2009 01:11AM

Well I did the juice fast for 2 days but the symtoms had gotten really bad, so I ended up on a water fast for 7 daays, after I broke with a pureed bana and then later that night some veggie brotiher but the symtoms were by this time much much miuch worse,
the juicingg, and fasting and very little fruit is what almost killed me

truthfuly, the hospital saved my life...
I was very very close to a coma, and seizures. I lost all my nutrients and now Im rehabilitating on medications and cooked food, my journey starts all over again.
Ive been inpatient in the hospital for the last week.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 09, 2009 01:31AM

herbalgerbals,

It sounds like you depleted your electrolytes, dear. So very sorry to hear this. Please get well however you can. Honestly, I think a heavy green-based raw diet would be the best thing for you after crisis has passed, as eating "normal" food made you ill to begin with and there aren't many choices left. But absolutely don't do anything that causes large scale mineral and vitamin and water depletion, cooked or raw. That was awful advice. Speaking of which: horrified to hear that the raw experts you consulted weren't of help. Really surprised that Paul Nison wasn't, as he's been in the same boat as you. It's not right. Thanks for writing in and letting us know how you're doing. I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Date: February 09, 2009 02:19AM

Ah, thanks for filling us in on the fasting; a couple days juicing followed by
a 7 day water fast. The later must have been tough, never having done one
myself, I can't imagine. Please tell us the protocal and how you felt on it
when you get a chance.

The hospital must have been very glad to see you sick as you were. So they put
you on IVs, meds and made you stable. Good!

Rest up and have a good evening..

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: February 09, 2009 10:50AM

Very sorry to hear about your experience.

Just one question:

In your nine days of juicing, then water fasting, did you take ingest ANYTHING apart from juice and water, eg any herbal/oriental 'remedies'?

Date: February 10, 2009 12:43AM

yea all my electrolites were depleted and now nmy body is going thru what they call refeeding syndrome?

the juice fast was only 2 or so days, the waater fast was the next week in a half or sso. but I had a littl vegetable broth and a little pureed banana towards the end, but it really didnt help, the last night before I went to the ER I had a small bowl of white rice but my body just rejected it..

debbie, I took NO herbal remedies, just one day they performed a light acupuncture wich truthfully for the rest of that evening I had good energy and felt slightly rejouvinated.

Paul nison was giving me help on the phone. but he was in florida, Im in california, no testing or anything so all he could go by was that

a: I was on a 7 + daay water fast

b) my symtoms were bloody stools and lots of diarea no energy weight loss

c) I was a live,

he gave me advice on taking probiotics wich I started doing, and to eat light broths, wich I did. But I believe I was way to far behind to catch up with my body, and all my electroliites weere Gone, wich were later confirmed in the emergency room.

I discharge from the hospital tommarow. electrolites are getting slightly better,
Im aactgually kind of scared to start down the raw food journey again..

right now my body is low in potassium and folate and phosphate.
I need to stabalize those.

Im thinking just get all my body rehabilitated anyway I can with cooked foods, then slowly incorporate juicing.

the bleeding and diarea are stopped, but cramping and inflammatiton of my bowels are still active.

loeve, to tell you thr truth it all seems like a big dream, I have no idea how I fasted for so long. my sodium levels had dropped to 115, they said at 110 I should ve been experiencoing seizures and posssible coma?

I just no it was a crazy experience, and after itt all Richard was right onm target, I needed a natual hygenic doctor to eevaluate my progess in person and make sure Im monitored. I idid All of this by myself, with good, books and phone conference. It wasnt smart, or safe. Im scared to think how close I was to coma..
please be careful with watter fasting. Especially if any of you have a disorder.

This whole refeeding syndrome is quite bodily drraining.

I weight 130lbs now since 118lbs last week, all my muscle mass is basically gone. I can finally walk up stairs again, but its goiong to take months to rehabilitate myself back to the muscle structure and strength conditioning I was at before.
Ill be staying with my parents and giving up my apartment aswell, Im going to just go to school for the next 6months AT LEAST and try to achieve some more education in this area. of nutrition nursing or physical educaation.

Agai, I dont blame anyone bujt myself. I did it to myself and now I need to work oiut the bugs again.
Its been a crazy journeey and here I shall start a new one.

Date: February 11, 2009 03:14PM

herbalgerbals Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yea all my electrolites were depleted and now nmy
> body is going thru what they call refeeding
> syndrome?

.....refeeding syndrome is a new term to me.

> loeve, to tell you thr truth it all seems like a
> big dream, I have no idea how I fasted for so
> long. my sodium levels had dropped to 115, they
> said at 110 I should ve been experiencoing
> seizures and posssible coma?

.....thanks, Syd, for the reply. I think you answered all our questions. My next salt purchase is going to be iodized, not that we need a ton of it but getting our iodine is hit or miss in the US, and I've got nothing against salt in moderate amounts.

Hey, what is that athletic move in your picture on the other thread? Is it yoga, floor or a martial arts exercise? Handstands are a favorite floor exercise of mine.

Date: February 11, 2009 06:23PM

Its just a handstand on the edge of a table with my legs bending forward.

I guess closer to a Scorpion position?

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: February 12, 2009 07:16AM

Now I know why people go to fasting clinics, stuff like this can happen. Thanks for the warning and I hope you feel better.

Date: February 12, 2009 10:28PM

> Its just a handstand on the edge of a table with
> my legs bending forward.
>
> I guess closer to a Scorpion position?

I've seen the Scorpion in pictures, it looks like it takes a lot of strength
and balance. I can't do that.

A plain handstand is easy by comparison. Mine are not at all as elegant but give me a good workout.

Date: February 13, 2009 05:21PM

unfortunatly I have just lost most of my energy and power so I am basically regenerating everything slowly slowly..

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 20, 2009 04:06PM

Syd how are you feeling this week? I hope you are getting your strength back!

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 20, 2009 04:35PM

Yes, I second Jgunn's concern. Please write with an update when you are able.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 26, 2009 02:20AM

Herbal it sounds to my like you have an immune system problem reacting to all these foods you've been eating.

Just because they are raw and organic and fruit or veg and whatnot does not mean your body will go haywire when exposed to their proteins.

In fact cooking makes plant proteins less immunoreactive.

My bet is that if you knew for a fact which foods your system does and does not tolerate and eliminated the troublesome ones, you'd greatly lessen your pain. And maybe then these raw tests would work for you. But there is no guarantee.

I once worked for a woman who reacted to nearly everything, not just foods but also chemicals, fabrics, etc. There were very few vegetables or fruits that she could eat at all, let alone raw. She got most of her calories from white rice.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 26, 2009 10:03AM

i must have missed a previous thread or something
what condition did u have prior to the fast?

whatever it was, it sounds like it was waaaaaaaaaaaay too much for you to handle by fasting

seems like u should have just eaten or pureed the raw foods instead of fasting

i think that if someone's condition is extremely severe, they will release loads of toxins way too quickly and it can harm them

it sounds like what u went through was grotesque

and enough to make u rely on your own judgement first

though that could probably be tough on u due to your condition which sounds really severe

good luck

don't give up

whenever someone offers me advice

i take it with a grain of salt

knowing that they are simply offering their own paradigm

they are not God

they can only tell you what they have experienced, read, believe...

there is always a risk

and i always respect that risk

Date: February 26, 2009 02:50PM

arugula,

I hope this woman you worked with had her spleen checked! That's wayyyyyyy abnormal!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 08, 2009 05:23AM

Yes, she was very abnormal. But she was born like that. Whacked out immune system.

There were lots of things she could not wear. Or even walk by.

Date: March 08, 2009 03:58PM

arugula,

Yes, she was very abnormal. But she was born like that. Whacked out immune system.

There were lots of things she could not wear. Or even walk by.

How sad--a failure-to-thrive adult : (

Date: March 08, 2009 07:37PM

I am doing alright, some of my other posts are showing my current diet, it works it seems for the most part.

I havent been eating anything cooked other then fish.

I eat fruit till around noon. juice lots of carrots, and celery.
So basically, apricots, papaya, banana, and jicama root have been well tolerated.

then in the afternoon I eat seeds, hemp seeds, sprouted flax, sprouted seseme with raw almond butter.

I discovered these raw crackers. They have sprouted flax, sprouted almond, sprouted seseme seeds with celerey, carrots, ginger and I think nori.

I believe they are working well. :]

Still on prednisone 40mg but I need to taper and hope things work well..

Do you believe that a person can really have an immune defeciency disorder that cannot be fixed by foods?

They want to put me on a medicine called Imuran wich lowers my immune system...

But I will be on this for the rest of my life.
I will start a thread on that. I need opinions...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables