Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Any amateur herbalists here?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 05, 2012 04:08PM

I bought some goldenseal root, which I plan to use topically. But I also am going to consume some and am wondering if I have to boil it or could put it in an unheated beverage. I am curious whether the constituents are activated by the heat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any amateur herbalists here?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 05, 2012 05:21PM

Yes the active constituents(berberine) in goldenseal aren't effected by heat and are stable.

What are you looking to use it for if you don't mind me asking ?. Im not really keen on goldenseal especially as berberine can destroy the skin and gut flora. It is also an endangered species so from a herbalist's point of view it may not be ethical to use when there are other options.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 05:21PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 05, 2012 10:26PM

Powerlifer, thanks for the answer but please...I realize that you are not supposed to use it for long periods of time. I don't take things without reading up on them first. I read that it's overharvested; maybe that's why I paid $5.95 a half ounce. I am not worried about goldenseal; create a seed bank and it's all good. We'll never lose the species. smiling smiley

Date: April 06, 2012 11:15AM

Sure i just think that if there are better and safer options you wouldn't need to use goldenseal which kills off the gut flora, damages the intestinal lining and depletes potassium.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 06, 2012 02:25PM

Have you tried it before? My Gawd, the taste! I take it on occasion, it helps boost the effectiveness of echinacea but it's a trial to choke it down tongue sticking out smiley.

Date: April 06, 2012 03:47PM

Im not really that much of a fan of echinacea either, i feel they are better choices such as andrographis which has been proven to reduce the symptoms and length of cold/flu, where as echinacea's studies have been sketchy, this probably alot to do with the various different parts of the plants and species being used.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 06, 2012 04:15PM

Thanks for the reminder, I'm headed to the health food store here tomorrow and wanted to pick up some andrographis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables