Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cancer - your help appreciated
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 26, 2009 12:05AM

Jan Dries's diet is based on the premise that humans do not subsist on calories, but rather on sunlight. Like plants. I guess. Cancer is presumed to be a response to eating insufficient "light-bearing" matter. It can there therefore be reversed by consuming large amounts of light-bearing matter in the form of plant foods, specifically those which grow in equatorial regions and receive abundant sunlight, like pineapple and mangoes and other tropical fruit. Also considered are those plants, like melons, which must have abundant direct sunlight exposure daily to thrive. The plant foods farther down on his consumption ratio scale are ones that are more "shade-bearing," that is, they thrive in less sunlight than group I and II, and are less salutary. I guess. Interesting hypothesis. He doesn't consider the phytochemical properties of these foods[i.e. enzymes that could be proelytic], but still interesting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 26, 2009 02:16AM

It never ceases to amaze me how often Weston Price is cited on a raw vegan food board. He promotes meat eating and cholesterol raising, which is pretty much antithetical to this board. He's got a lot of whacky ideas that are not well-supported. Like shoe size being linked to health. And he goes for the fringe more often than not.

It seems to me that he preys on the people who consider themselves "above" modern medicine who at the same time don't know much about it. Shame that it's such a lucrative area for him. Sometimes I wonder if he really believes in half the stuff he claims to. I wonder...

I don't suggest that anyone eat refined oils of any kind, saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, or trans.

In fact I'm still skeptical that deliberately seeking excess fats is a good idea in general (I'd make exceptions for some unusual cases), unless it's the only way a person can maintain a high vegetable diet, such as putting a little bit of olive oil or avocado on a leafy salad. And only then if it's really cold pressed virgin olive oil, which is pretty pricey.

Of all the internet fringe jobs out there I am most comfortable with Fuhrman. He's on the alternative side, and I don't agree with all his marketing methods, but I feel more comfortable with the citations he uses to support his ideas, usually he has very high quality sources, as well as his ideas, it seems to me that he is much more grounded in reality and credible. He even admits he doesn't know that 100% veganism is the best for health (as opposed to say 90-95%) but I am pretty sure he practices it at least most of the time.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 26, 2009 09:56AM

arugula said:

<<I don't suggest that anyone eat refined oils of any kind, saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, or trans.>>

do u know the exact chemicals and heating processes that go into making... say... olive oil that is not totally "cold pressed"?

even stuff labeled as cold pressed is misleading

also it is still heated

then u got the mold factor going on

but never read more than sound bites on it

no cohesive very lucid article on it

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: February 26, 2009 01:20PM

tropical Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ......And what about lauric acid.......

Thanks, tropical. Mary Enig, of westonprice always does a nice job articulating her ideas, and provides a lot of insight. The article referenced [www.westonaprice.org] makes her case for lauric acid, found in human breast milk and coconuts. I agree that breast milk and coconuts are healthy foods as whole foods, but would put limits on processed oils, to less than 20 g/day (4 tbs) from "visible" fats, based on this Kerala, India study:

"Total visible fat (> 20 g/day) intake was positively associated whereas fruit, vegetable, legume and coconut intake (< 400 g/day) was inversely associated with hypertension."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Mary Enig suggests 10 to 20 grams of lauric acid per day:

"How much lauric acid is needed?
"It is not known exactly how much food made with lauric oils is needed in order to have a protective level of lauric acid in the diet. Infants probably consume between 0.3 and 1 gram per kilogram of body weight if they are fed human milk or an enriched infant formula that contains coconut oil. This amount appears to have always been protective. Adults could probably benefit from the consumption of 10 to 20 grams of lauric acid per day. Growing children probably need about the same amounts as adults." [www.westonaprice.org]

..10 to 20 grams/day in whole food coconut may be fine. Trying to get that much from oil could result in over-eating of oil.

....by the way, coconut oil is neutral in regards to cancer, imo, (as long as all oils are consumed in moderation of course).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 01:31PM by loeve.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: February 26, 2009 01:53PM

That's a good point loeve. I was just curious has to what 10g of lauric acid translates into in terms of eating coconut oil and other coconut products:

5 teaspoons of coconut oil
3/4 cup of raw shredded coconut meat
6 tablespoons of raw coconut milk (liquid from meat and water)
35g (about 6 T ?) of dried unsweetened coconut meat

And yes, Mary Enig, does a really nice job articulating.

Date: February 26, 2009 02:46PM

loeve,

Earlier in this thread, someone probably familiar with Italian doctor Tullio Simoncini's recent work, mentioned his hypothesis. It posits that, based on deep tissue biopsies of excised cancerous tumors which invariably present with fungal overgrowth, systemic fungal infection must be at least correlative with cancer, if not directly causal. If this is probable, then coconut oil, because of the lauric acid content, would be helpful, as lauric acid is a potent anti-fungal substance. Plus, coconuts grow in the sun, so are "light-bearing" according to Dr. Dries's belief, and cannot hurt, therefore!

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: February 26, 2009 10:45PM

..I've never bought coconut oil -- only coconuts, desicated flakes and canned milk so that tabulation, tropical, is cool.

..so, Tamukha, a food with anti-fungal properties might directly or indirectly help with cancer, in theory at least. Here's a run down on the properties of lauric acid from a recent study:

"Lauric acid (12:0) is a medium-chain fatty acid that is present in human and bovine milk at 5.8% and 2.2% of milk fat, respectively. This fatty acid has been recognized for its antiviral (79) and antibacterial (80, 81) functions. Recent results suggest that Helicobacter pylori present in stomach contents (but not necessarily within the mucus barrier) should be rapidly killed by the millimolar concentrations of fatty acids and monoacylglycerols that are produced by preintestinal lipases acting on suitable triacylglycerols, such as those present in milk fat (82). Lauric acid is also effective as an anticaries and antiplaque agent (83). Medium-chain saturated fatty acids and their monoacylglycerol derivatives can have adverse effects on various microorganisms, including bacteria, yeast, fungi, and enveloped viruses, by disrupting the lipid membranes of the organisms and thus inactivating them (84, 85). This deactivation process also occurs in human and bovine milk when fatty acids are added to milk (86, 87). The release of monolaurin from milk lipids by human milk lipases may be involved in the resulting antiprotozoal functions (88, 89). One study indicated that one antimicrobial effect against bacteria is related to the interference of monolaurin with signal transduction or toxin formation (90). In addition to disrupting membranes to inactivate viruses, lauric acid has an effect on virus reproduction by interfering with assembly and maturation, ie, cells make the components of the virus, but their assembly is inhibited (79)."

[www.ajcn.org]

..it sounds a little like what Mary Enig wrote in the article above. By the way, some of the studies were done 'in vitro', so have not been proven in the human body, but point towards further study. Some of the coconut venders make wild claims based on such studies, but some are probably true!

Date: February 26, 2009 11:36PM

loeve,

Thanks for excerpting this--it has better informed me as to the specific chemical factors inherent in lauric acid, and its breakdown, that act on pathogens. As to "wild claims:" you know what they say, where there's smoke, there's fire smiling smiley I think it is dazzling when a variety of researchers possessing diverse objectives start to come to similar and related scientific conclusions. It's as though there were some kind of wonderful magic synergy at work in Nature to benefit us all--if we can only connect!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 19, 2009 09:36PM

Debbie, I was wondering what diet you would choose if you had cancer. 8/1/1? What about if you had candida?

I love your blog. It is very informative.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: April 27, 2009 03:11PM

Debbie how is your Father-In-Law??

I recently have found out I have a Father-In-Law with cancer now.
He refuses any chemo and will not even go through a biopsy to determine 100% if it is cancer to his credit. In addition, he is willing and has given up smoking and red meat. I gave him a juicer I no longer use also which he is trying.

Unfortunately he is being overwhelmed by anyone with an opinion telling him what to do. So sad, so very sad.

Posted by: happyhouse ()
Date: May 24, 2009 06:56AM

Hello

Cancer is one of those pathologies that is often driven by underlying conditions such as an overly acidic body or perhaps even having low grade but chronic viral conditions...

Apart from drinking at least 2 - 3 litres of high quality alkaline water each day, it is imperative to detox the body as well. This obviously means to immediently reduce acidic forming foods from the diet, and depending on the constitution of the individual, perhaps induce detoxing via killing of the parasitic load within the body...

I have seen this done a number of times to great effect, and have often used the product MMS, or chlorine dioxide to initiate this process...

I would suggest reading the following blog at [www.mmshealthy4life.com] as it has many real life testimonials from actual cancer patients - very interesting as comments are very positive concerning this compound...

A reputable supplier of the compound MMS is at [www.mmshealthyforlife.com]

I hope this helps...

Adam

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2009 07:02AM by happyhouse.

Posted by: HealthNVitality ()
Date: June 10, 2009 01:57PM

The post from Adam looks good. Thanks.
I will add some other info.
Dr. Otto Warburg received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1931 for discovering that the cause and cure of cancer is cellular respiration, which relates to cellular pH.

You might find some useful info from him at [www.stopcancer.com]
We also have helpful info at www.healthnvitality.com

Good luck

If you post a reply to this message and would like my feedback, it would be best to send me a private message to that effect. Otherwise, I may not check this thread for a while.

***Info from the advisors at HealthNVitality***

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables