Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

medicinal herbs
Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: March 08, 2009 01:52AM

Just curious,

Anyone have any good idea for herbs I can buy to help with healing of the digestive system?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: medicinal herbs
Posted by: satori108 ()
Date: April 13, 2009 02:09PM

try aloe vera. It's good for healing your insides and is supposed to halt colon cancer. you can take the leaves, cut off the thorns, take out the gel & scrape the insides of the leaves and throw all the clear stuff in a blender. I put it in my green smoothies. the gel you scrape off inside of the leaf is bitter, but the other part is tasteless.

Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: April 16, 2009 05:19AM

This is my confusion.. Ive done this with some aloe vera plants Ive found around my neighborhood, but the gel wasnt bitter like Im use to it being, what does this mean do you know?

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 16, 2009 12:15PM

..I always wonder too why people say aloe vera is bitter because it's not my experience with the large fresh leaves available from my northeast (US) chain grocer, and I eat it skin, spikes and all. It's a little bitter, sure but not off-putting to me. Different varieties maybe..

Posted by: satori108 ()
Date: April 16, 2009 03:55PM

Well, the bitter part is from scraping the insides of the leaves. The rest of it is pretty tasteless. But if the insides of your leaves are not bitter, then maybe it is the difference in varieties. I don't really know. Sorry! I also get huge leaves, like maybe a foot long, in the north east.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 16, 2009 04:29PM

..I agree satori, the leaf skin is the bitter part.... the variety I get at Stop & Shop is also a large leaf spike, like a weapon! People often ask what I do with it -- toss 4 to 6 oz size chunks of leaf in the juicer with carrots, etc. I love having it around.

"In a natural form, Aloe juice (gel) is not very palatable - it is bitter and not exactly a pleasure to swallow, which is probably why it is not usually found mentioned as a healthful drink in our folk medicine repertoires, but rather as an emergency measure or 'heroic' medicine to treat parasitic intestinal or stomach infections."

[www.sacredearth.com]

..it's a little bitter but less than some other herbs I do, like dandelion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables