Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Lactic acid is not vegan, correct?
Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: October 25, 2012 04:36AM

Just realized this probiotic I've been taking (Dr. Ohhira's Professional Formula -- supposed to be one of the best) has lactic acid bacteria blend 600 million. The label says No Dairy and 100% Vegetarian, and for some reason I just assumed it had no animal products.

Why would they use this for a probiotic? Isn't lactic acid bad for you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lactic acid is not vegan, correct?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 25, 2012 07:38AM

They are referring to bacteria that produce small amounts of lactic acid which is beneficial to the gut. These small levels of various acids and other anti-microbial compounds are what keep candida and opportunistic microbes in check.

As far if Dr.Ohhira's probiotic is vegan i can't remember, i know its Vegetarian like you say. Good probiotic, i like VSL#3 also in the past as its very potent. Theres even studies where people have put ulcerative colitis into remission with VSL#3.

Although fermented foods such as water kefir are cheaper and often just as effective.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Re: Lactic acid is not vegan, correct?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 25, 2012 12:11PM

lactic acid can go both ways. you have to contact the company or see if it's labeled vegan. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables