Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Broke my "perfect" record sad smiley
Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: January 21, 2013 04:41PM

After some 15 years of not having a cold or flu, I came down with the flu Friday afternoon. I was exposed to a smoky work environment with two other workers coughing all over the place, so I guess that's how I picked it up.

Fever, chills, body aches, severe headache, upset tummy, and very weak.

I'm back to maybe 70% now, except that I am extremely tired and achy. My body aches so badly, I feel like I have been run over by a truck. And my head is very tender, even to touch it or comb my hair.

I immediately started juicing carrot/celery/apple/lemon/orange, had a few herbal teas and no solid foods. Slept most of the time.

Maybe worst of all, is I've now lost my bragging rights among my SAD meat eating friends/family who also get flu shots.

And now, my son just came up to me & told me he isn't feeling well. What joy. sad smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broke my "perfect" record sad smiley
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: January 22, 2013 01:31AM

Well, I'm impressed with how healthy you are that you haven't been sick in all these years. I guess you're doing something right - probably all the veganism and juicing. If you're well enough to post on here, then you're pretty strong. I remember in the old days on SAD, when I had the flu, and I was too sick to even read.

Some people think getting colds is good because it sort of cleans and detoxes the body - so you'll be even better when it's all over.

Date: January 22, 2013 02:11AM

Well, my son just woke up from sleeping all day. He is fine now, thank God for that.

Me -

I'm still weak, and my head is still very tender. Not sure what that is all about. Oh, and body aches abound. Yes, I suppose a run this long is something to be thankful for. The human body is not impenetrable.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 22, 2013 07:20PM

veganjuice,

A decade and a half without illness is no mean feat, and this flu hasn't sent you to the hospital, so for heaven's sake, cut yourself some credit!

P.S. Glad your boy is OK; kids are so vulnerable, that must be a relief to you smiling smiley

Date: January 22, 2013 08:02PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> veganjuice,
>
> A decade and a half without illness is no mean
> feat, and this flu hasn't sent you to the
> hospital, so for heaven's sake, cut yourself some
> credit!
>
> P.S. Glad your boy is OK; kids are so vulnerable,
> that must be a relief to you smiling smiley

Yeah, thanks - I appreciate that. Considering how I ate when growing up, I've come a long way with my health. As far as my son, he is like a typical teen & eats like one when he is out with his friends - not to mention, an "Axe" user. sad smiley

I've noticed that you have made references to that product in other threads. I guess the peer pressure thing is as tough as ever when you want to fit in with friends.

Nice thing is, when he's at home he will eat all the good stuff & drink whatever juices/smoothies we make for him.

Date: January 23, 2013 12:06AM

veganjuice,

. . . not to mention, an "Axe" user

GASP! What IS it about that stuff that the kids like? It's vile! I just don't understand the yoof of today.

Date: January 23, 2013 12:12AM

I think it's that commercial I saw a long time ago - when you spray the stuff on and 100 babes chase you all over the place. grinning smiley

Date: January 23, 2013 02:36PM

smiling smiley

Date: January 23, 2013 04:48PM

I just looked through the cupboard & realized we had Oreganol P73 on hand. I could have been dosing on that all along! Duh!

Still have a fair amount of chest congestion, so I can use the Oregano to break that up. Two drops under the tongue, five on the chest.

Anyone have any other remedies for chest congestion and also nagging dry tickling cough, I'd like to hear them. smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 23, 2013 06:36PM

Elderberry has been tested via clinical trial and found to be more effective than anything on the market for cold and flu. We take a tincture a neighbour made from local berries, it's easy to find them on your own in summer. Make sure to remove ALL the teensy stems from the tiny little berries, the stems contain a poison that will not do you well. The berries can be dehydrated and reconstituted or made into tea, frozen and thawed to use fresh, made into jam and sealed in jars, or steeped as tincture (fill a jar with berries, add either high grade vodka or quality brandy covering berries by 1 inch, leave in a sunny window or on the counter for 4-6 weeks, administer by the teaspoonful as needed).
Our "elixir" as it's labelled is made with a combination of local and manuka honey (a rare concession to bee products for us) and is incredibly effective. Really, the kids and I are rarely ill and very quickly recovered if we do come down with something. Tasty too winking smiley.

Feel better!

Date: January 26, 2013 03:15PM

Agree with coco. Also, I have had great results for nagging sinus infection-based coughs with Naturade's Cold Expec.

Hope you heal soon, veganjuice smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables