Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What do you wash your hair with ?
Posted by: LuckyRawVegan ()
Date: March 16, 2013 10:53PM

I'm currently growing my hair long at the moment but It seems to get greasy and oily all the time.

I tried to make my own shampoo but I can't get the same results my 'natural' shampoo (which contains a gazillion ingredients) does. I want to stop using this shampoo and find a shampoo or anything else with less and pure ingredients. To me it doesn't seem natural to wash your hair but I feel like I need to because it gets so greasy.

I have tried rubbing my left over oranges and lemons and other fruit on it but it doesn't seem to really work, I can see some difference but not a lot.

I was wondering what everyone else washes their hair with?

Any good recipes ?

Thanks,

Lucky Raw Vegan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do you wash your hair with ?
Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: March 18, 2013 01:07AM

Orange & Lemons have oil in them - I don't believe that would be the best choice.

Have you heard of dry shampooing? I've never tried it, but it does sound interesting.

Have a look here for some info. [tinyurl.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 18, 2013 05:51PM

I have some soapwort herb and also some soap nut powder that I'm going to try brewing up as a natural soap. It doesn't last very long so you'd need to make it regularly or try freezing it in small batches to see if that would work. There are many recipes online if you care to try it out.
The no-shampooing method uses a baking soda paste rubbed onto the scalp followed by a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse. I haven't tried this as I have got very curly hair that tends to dryness and it needs conditioning to keep from turning into a great tangly mess. It's supposed to be effective for oily hair though.

I'm mid-process with a scalp treatment and a conditioning leave-in oil blend. I'm going to include hylauronic acid in the treatment so it's more of a hair serum. It's got argan and seabuckthorn oils to name a few, smells very herbal. Like an herb tea. Quite nice really. I'll post my results with all of these things as I test them out smiling smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 05:53PM by coco.

Date: March 18, 2013 08:20PM

I just came across some articles on washing your hair with tea. I'm going to try it tonight & see how it works.

Date: March 21, 2013 12:22AM

Follow up for those interested;

washed hair three times now with Green Tea. Obviously, it does not suds up like normal shampoo, but it definitely does a good job of cleaning. I believe I will continue this regimen for awhile. smiling smiley

I am wondering if it may attract bees or other insects in the summer though...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 21, 2013 02:26PM

My hair is fine, like a child's, and currently extends to my upper back. After many, many trials of natural soaps, I have settled on Dr. Bronner's Shikakai Lemongrass Lime Hand and Body soap, every other day. It's simple and concentrated, it smells delicate, it cleans my hair without stripping it, and the container is recyclable, too.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: March 22, 2013 01:00AM

I wash my hair with Alaffia Liquid African Black Soap and rinse with Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. Rinse well or your family will complain that you smell like vinegar smiling smiley

[www.alaffia.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables