Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

trauma
Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: May 09, 2009 05:36AM

Hello everyone,

Yesterday, the thing most cyclists fear most, being hit by a car, happened to me. Except it was a truck. I was hit from the side and was pulled under. Thankfully I am ok, no broken bones, my helmet did fracture, I went to the hospital and had a cat scan and everything was ok. Just a lot of bruising, my whole body is sore. What you would imagine being hit by a truck feels like.

I feel like my body will heal with time but I wanted to see if anyone has any advice for dealing with the trauma of the accident? The emotional side of things, how to process almost dying. I was so shaken up afterwords I think I cried for a good four hours. It was really scary. I don't think all the adrenaline has been processed through my body yet. I want to heal emotionally too so I don't have residual stuff coming up later.

If anyone has any tips or good advice I would be gratefull if you shared. Most everyone I have found has lived through some sort of accident and I would be curious to know how you coped with the trauma of it all.

I am open to different foods too that might help with the healing process.

Thank you everyone for all your support, I really appreciate it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: trauma
Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: May 09, 2009 03:12PM

Meganbubbs, Im thankful you are still with us, that sounds too close under the truck.
what happened you are the trucker?
and like ted mack used to say wear white when you ride your bike.
many bike riders dont wear bright colors, and truckers are a very tired group.
its all so dangerous out here, slow and easy, and some nice deep breathing after that. again happy you are in one piece and stil with us
Peace rhb

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 09, 2009 03:59PM

wow megan thats insanely scary. i bike ride too , alot and find everyday that i am having to be more and more carefull about what other people are doing on the road. as a driver, i can tell you as well that that is the number one thing i fear about driving is hitting someone on the road

glad you are ok, it wasnt your time to go, life is sucha a gift and your best path to healing emotionally is to accept what happened for what it is, forgive the other person , make sure you are physcially ok , soft tissue injury can manifest weeks after an accident

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: May 15, 2009 04:42AM

Thank you both.
Its been a week now, and the bruises are slowly going away. I am so happy to be alive and so thankfull that I came away from that with only a few bumps.
I signed my self up for a "trauma & the body" workshop for next week so hopefully that will be interesting. I made a few acupuncture appointments too. I love acupuncture so I think that will really help my body heal.

I got back on a bike yesterday, I went to test ride a few at the bikeshop. It felt so good to be on a bike, it's kinda weird that the accident didn't really phase me on that front. I think if I had a car accident I would not want to drive for a long while.

Now I am waiting to see how much insuranc money I will get for my smashed up bike and get a new one. That will be exciting.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 15, 2009 01:13PM

megan,

So glad you are OK! Also, very much respect your back-in-the-saddle attitude. I think it's trauma only if it lingers; otherwise, it's just a bad thing that happened, and now it's in the past, where it belongs. Good for you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables