Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What the heck is the cause of acne in adults?
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: August 13, 2009 05:33AM

I'm 27, male, and I still get acne. Having an outbreak right now after being clear for a long time. Been eating the same diet (high fruit, low fat, high greens) for the last 6 months, so surely it can't be diet. I wonder if it's hormonal? Or stress? But I don't consider myself stressed. This really befuddles me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What the heck is the cause of acne in adults?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 13, 2009 07:19AM

not sure this applies to you but i really used to have really bad acne and once i stopped over cleansing it all stopped smiling smiley

im 40 now and have skin that my sister a few years older than me would die for

diet is one part , yes hormnal another part, stress another, over cleansing another, oil stripping another

hard to tell what your problem is .. what is your regime? smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 13, 2009 11:40AM

hormones. i still break out and i'm nearly 40 now. worse skin than when i was a teenager, actually. haven't figured out how to balance the hormones. all these pregnancies and extended breastfeeding messing me up i guess. sigh.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 13, 2009 02:15PM

Agree with Jodie and coco. Sometimes, though, acne, especially adult onset cystic acne, can be a sign of candidiasis. You'd know if you had this, as there are other conspicuous symptoms, such as bad digestion/elimination, chronic fatique, anemia, etc.

Don't know what your skin care regimen or downtime routines are like. Maybe try a program of relaxation, like meditation or stretching, and try simplifying your skin care regimen, to see if that helps? Sometimes we have added things to our lives without being aware of them, and subtracting them can be all the change that's necessary. Like, just because you don't think you are stressed, doesn't mean you haven't acquired stress subtly--if meditation ends up improving your health, well, there's your proof of having been stressed. In any case, subtracting stuff cannot hurt. Good luck : )

Date: August 13, 2009 03:24PM

you know Tamukha i have those symptoms but have NEVER had a problem with yeast. low iron all my life, had a serious bout of ibs in the past (healed-ish with raw foods, fasting, colonic) restlessnesssleeplessnessfatigue (i think this is because my brain won't shut the hell up). but i know that my organs, liver, kidneys, are stressed and i don't know why or how to help them very well. and my hormones are screwy and always have been. the cleaner i live, the better, but my parents are in my life a lot now (great for the kids) and it STRESSES me right out so... there you go. it's all connected.

Rufio, tell us a bit about your daily diet, what things you do regularly-ish that are not so great for your health, what your routine is like, sleep, exercise, and how you care for your skin. bet we can suss something out here and bet we help ourselves in the process too. smiling smiley

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: August 13, 2009 04:18PM

In my opinion:

Acne is the elimination of toxins through the skin.

If you are eating a raw food diet and still have acne, my recommendation would be to try psyllium husk powder. Psyllium husk powder will help to clean out the colon by eliminating old, impacted material. This will accomplish two important things for healing the acne:

a) The old material in the colon will no longer be present as a source of toxins to be eliminated through the skin.

b) Once the old material is gone, the colon will be a more efficient eliminator of toxins, taking pressure off the skin as a detoxifyng organ.

Here's one discussion of using bulk fiber to heal acne: [www.acne.org]

Note post #5: Using bulk fiber, the poster's acne is healing even while he continues to eat junk food (which I don't recommend!) But it does demonstrate the power of bulk fiber to heal acne.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2009 04:27PM by Omega.

Date: August 13, 2009 10:38PM

i don't know, i've been eating an exemplary diet for so many years. and i have to say, my last colonic indicated zero impacted waste in the colon. i'm not buying that. i've been told by health practitioners that it's my organs and hormones which i already suspected myself. it's not because i don't eat a great diet, i do, it's my own personal physiology. i don't think it a huge big deal either, it's just annoying.

Date: August 14, 2009 12:20AM

coco, just curious: have you ever taken psyllium?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2009 12:22AM by Omega.

Date: August 14, 2009 01:16AM

sure. i've had cassia too, wow. and senna tea when fasting.
but you know, all i eat is fiber (everything is working regularly in that department grinning smiley) and i do often replace food with juice or nothing so... i'm pretty sure i'm not gummed up inside.

Posted by: mysbenson ()
Date: August 17, 2009 11:40PM

Acidic pH can cause acne in adults. As a matter of fact, my acne never flares up unless my pH is acidic for a day or more. The way around that is I eat 2/3 green and 1/3 fruit and don't get acne. I don't eat grains or dairy or meat or starchy veggies except potato a couple of times a week. Hope this helps.

Date: August 19, 2009 06:33PM

Hey coco,

Did you ever take psyllium as part of a cleanse (like at least twice a day for 7 days) or was it more occasional than that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2009 06:43PM by Omega.

Date: August 19, 2009 07:28PM

master cleanse. what are you hinting at my friend, that i am full of it? well, sometimes. but just figuratively!

Date: August 21, 2009 01:19AM

Ha.

So how often did you take psyllium during the master cleanse?

(I always thought skin symptoms were an elimination of toxins, which is why I'm curious about your experience.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables