Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Teeth, teeth, teeth!!!!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 16, 2009 07:27PM

I am VERY confused and disappointed.

My teeth are getting bad again. sad smiley Now that's not to say they weren't bad before, when I was eating... "unspeakables" I was getting more fillings. It was almost surprising to be going home after a check-up without requirements for a filling... but I really thought that with the raw food everything would be so much better this time. Anyway... some thoughts...:

1. We're continually being told about "acid erosion" on our enamel. And yet primates like chimps and orangutans actually have LESS enamel than humans!!! And yet they do nothing but eat fruit all day, and then they have the audacity (joke) to not even bother washing their teeth out with antiseptic mouthwash and toothpaste!!! And yet their teeth remain perfect throughout life until they're 50+ years old (noone knows how long they live in the wild), only when fed human food do they get teeth problems.

As for why humans have better enamel on their teeth get this: if you ask a primatologist they'll say it's because humans are more adapted to eating TOUGH FOODS such as carrots!!!! The more the enamel, the better adapted the species is for eating tough food!!!! Because eating the tough food physically wears away the enamel, unlike fruit.

2. So the problem is definitely not fundamentally the fruit, it's because our teeth are malformed and our bodies unhealthy to begin with. We need an exceptional amount of calcium as well because we (nearly all) had huge overdoses of it throughout our growth.

3. So I took calcium and vitamin d supplements along with my multivitamin. I used mouthwash a lot (although that only lately) and I washed my teeth carefully every night. I fastiduously started taking my mouthwash all the time over the past week or two but it's as if they're still getting worse.

4. And yet my teeth are really starting to get sore again. The dentist didn't even seem to notice a problem with them. :'( He just said point to anything that hurt and I only pointed to that one tooth (because I hate any type of injection, fillings etc.), so he x-rayed it and is just going to fill that one.

5. My teeth hurt and it's making eating fruit a chore, especially apples. I'm only eating this way "full time" since about May and it's not a nice experience. I have also had a tooth extracted about three years ago from doing it "full time" but without washing either.

The thing is though, my dentist did REALLY extensive work on my teeth as he kept saying. All of the fillings are just a patch. I have had loads of fillings and my teeth always posed a problem.

He actually said I was lucky to get away with all the fillings. I'm afraid he's going to have to do more fillings. The appointment isn't until the 27th... what if I somehow remineralize them in that time....?

Re: Teeth, teeth, teeth!!!!
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 16, 2009 08:21PM

SuperInfinity,

I don't use anything in my dental regimen but a natural toothpaste, soft bristle brush, and lukewarm water. Have you noticed your teeth getting worse since you started assiduously applying mouthwash? That might be the culprit. Also, are you rinsing your teeth with water after acidic foods? Unless you are chewing greens off of stems, which has a brushing action, like a chimp does, you cannot compare your dental regimen to that of a chimp. I hope you figure out what the source of this problem is.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 16, 2009 08:23PM

when you mentioned mouthwash on a previous post i went web wandering and read some stuff about tooth enamal, oral bacteria etc etc.

some of the things that i stumbled upon which i have yet to verify but makes a bit of sense

is eating anti-cariogenic foods (on SAD cheese for example is said to neutralize bacteria in the mouth) for a vegan anti-carigenic foods pointo to dark leafy greens to neutralize oral acids and bacteria by stimulating the saliva

although its commonly thought apes/monkeys eat nothing but fruit i beleive they do eat greens and perhaps its the leaves here and there between fruits that neutralize the acids and bacteria despite the huge amounts of fruit they eat

just a thought smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2009 08:30PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: August 18, 2009 04:35AM

SuperInfinity some things came to mind when I read your post :

- Too much vitamin D is as bad as too little and I wouldn't take synthetic vitamins (if that's what you are taking), I'd rather take Alfalfa tablets - this site lists all the vitamins in alfalfa and even says that it has vitamin D.
[www.purlife.com]
This book has a little blurb that alfalfa helps to rebuild decayed teeth, anytime alfalfa is mentioned on sites selling it they talk about how it is good for the teeth:
[books.google.com]
[www.herballegacy.com]
"Alfalfa to Retard Tooth Decay: A doctor at the University of Indiana pointed out that Alfalfa is especially rich in iron, calcium and phosphorus, all necessary for strong, healthy teeth. Some claim that Alfalfa not only retards tooth decay but actually rebuilds the teeth"
[www.herbalpossibilities.com]
"Alfalfa is one of the few vegetable sources of Vitamin D. Although the sun is generally regarded as the best source for getting this vitamin there are about 4740 International Units of Vitamin D per pound of Alfalfa. This is valuable knowledge if a person is unable to take in sunshine, such as during the wintertime. Taking Vitamin D in Alfalfa is important element in Alfalfa is vitamin B12. Most nutritionist claim that it is only present in animal products, diary products, or sewage."

- Celiac disease (gluten intolerance) is one of the most under-diagnosed illnesses in the country, and teeth problems are a symptom of this.

- Sanguinaria-Mint Mouthwash - a make it yourself mouthwash. I haven't tried this yet, when I finally hunted down a bottle of vodka it was $40.
[www.embassyofheaven.com]

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: August 18, 2009 03:11PM

It's important to use good natural products on your teeth. What products have you tried? People remineralize all the time, so it is possible.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 18, 2009 03:20PM

tropical Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SuperInfinity some things came to mind when I read
> your post :
>
> - Too much vitamin D is as bad as too little and I
> wouldn't take synthetic vitamins (if that's what
> you are taking), I'd rather take Alfalfa tablets -
> this site lists all the vitamins in alfalfa and
> even says that it has vitamin D.
> [www.purlife.com]
> This book has a little blurb that alfalfa helps to
> rebuild decayed teeth, anytime alfalfa is
> mentioned on sites selling it they talk about how
> it is good for the teeth:
> [books.google.com]
> A87&dq=alfalfa+teeth+arthritis&ei=4CyKSsKGEoi0kATa
> kvGMCg#v=onepage&q=alfalfa%20teeth%20arthritis&f=f
> alse
> [www.herballegacy.com]
> "Alfalfa to Retard Tooth Decay: A doctor at the
> University of Indiana pointed out that Alfalfa is
> especially rich in iron, calcium and phosphorus,
> all necessary for strong, healthy teeth. Some
> claim that Alfalfa not only retards tooth decay
> but actually rebuilds the teeth"
> [www.herbalpossibilities.com]
> l
> "Alfalfa is one of the few vegetable sources of
> Vitamin D. Although the sun is generally regarded
> as the best source for getting this vitamin there
> are about 4740 International Units of Vitamin D
> per pound of Alfalfa. This is valuable knowledge
> if a person is unable to take in sunshine, such as
> during the wintertime. Taking Vitamin D in Alfalfa
> is important element in Alfalfa is vitamin B12.
> Most nutritionist claim that it is only present in
> animal products, diary products, or sewage."
>
> - Celiac disease (gluten intolerance) is one of
> the most under-diagnosed illnesses in the country,
> and teeth problems are a symptom of this.
>
> - Sanguinaria-Mint Mouthwash - a make it yourself
> mouthwash. I haven't tried this yet, when I
> finally hunted down a bottle of vodka it was $40.
> [www.embassyofheaven.com]
> tm

That's interesting about alfalfa. I know several horses whose primary diet has been alfalfa and they start loosing their teeth somewhere in their 20's! That would be terrible for humans!

Date: August 18, 2009 07:09PM

the average horse only lives to somewhere between 25-30 years , so in relation to human longevity lets call it a third for arguments sake which would bring a horse to 60+ years old when they start to have teeth problems smiling smiley

the purpose of the greens after fruit from what i can gather is to stimulate the saliva in the mouth that neutralizes acids smiling smiley

Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: August 19, 2009 01:38AM

Check out www.toothsoap.com. Most toothpastes, even natural ones, are made with glycerin, which coats the surface of your teeth and prevents them from remineralizing from your own saliva. I can't afford toothsoap right now, but I switched to the only toothpaste I could find at my local health food store that doesn't have glycerin in it. After a week, I think my teeth look whiter. The toothpaste is called Homeodent, I think. Tastes a little on the nasty side (it's a yummy lemon flavor, but then a strange aftertaste), but I will never use toothpaste with glycerin again.

Other raw foodists recommend rinsing with salt water, or at least plain water after each meal, and Tonya Zavasta says tooth problems are partially caused by constant snacking. Our teeth need a break, and time to hang out in saliva doing nothing.

Posted by: hiddenfang ()
Date: August 19, 2009 08:50PM

There is one other possibility: perhaps you have an enamel disorder. My husband takes fastidious care of his teeth, but they have been literally crumbling for years and they all need to be pulled and replaced. He's not doing anything wrong, it's just genetic. His father lost all his teeth before he was twenty years old because of this and hubby is happy to have about half of his left at forty!

But here's to hoping your teeth remineralize!! Salut!

Posted by: mysbenson ()
Date: August 21, 2009 04:48AM

SuperInfinity - the only thing that helps my tooth pain, loose teeth, gum problems is brushing with Miracle II Neutralizer and drinking more green juice, a quart a day. That's my solution which works for me. Maybe it would help you. I hope you get a solution.

Date: August 21, 2009 06:39AM

mysbenson is miracle ii the same stuff that used to be called Masters Miracle? its been long gone out of circulation where i live and wonder if its been replaced by what you use? smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2009 10:46PM

mysbenson Wrote:
> SuperInfinity - the only thing that helps my tooth
> pain, loose teeth, gum problems is brushing with
> Miracle II Neutralizer and drinking more green
> juice, a quart a day. That's my solution which
> works for me. Maybe it would help you. I hope
> you get a solution.

My teeth are feeling a lot better when eating, EXCEPT when I brush my right lower ones (the ones the dentist said needed work).

Oddly enough, they started to feel better the *exact* same time I started to take some old magnesium supplements I had. It'd be a bit of a stretch to say oh it must be the magnesium, it could be the continual listerine treatment which I only started multiple times a day recently.

I went to a health store yesterday and I noticed that glycerine is actually among the very first of the ingredients of those. I bought toothpaste and mouthwash of them, but I'm not buying into them if they don't do as well as the listerine. My teeth are too damaged already. I have to research them, it could be that they actually are better for your teeth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2009 10:48PM by SuperInfinity.

Date: August 21, 2009 10:56PM

SI, my moneys on the magnesium supplement ... smiling smiley

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 22, 2009 03:06AM

SuperInfinity Wrote:
> I am VERY confused and disappointed.
Throw out your Calcium supplements and Mouthwash.
I highly recommend Pascalite Clay after every tooth brushing.
I've used it for years, and my Gums and Teeth have never
been healthier. I even have a cracked filling that I believe
has re-sealed itself....anyway it never hurts, so I'm living
with it.....WY

[www.pascalite.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 22, 2009 02:46PM

SI,

Listerine--good God! Throw it out! Throw it out! It's all right for disinfecting the bathtub because it's a good decalcifier. For that reason, it should be nowhere near your teeth.

I don't mean to pry, and you needen't answer if you think it impertinent, but why must you use mouthwash? I find that chlorophyll concentrate diluted in water makes an excellent breath freshener and gargling solution, on the odd occasion when I've consumed something pungent. Otherwise, drinking lots of green juices is making my tooth surfaces whiter and stronger, so . . . .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables