Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Orthorexia
Posted by: irena ()
Date: August 19, 2009 04:28PM

I am not denying that just like with anything one can become pathologically obsessed with health-conscious eating, but since when the decision of individuals to eat healthy foods and avoid unhealthy ones is a dis-order???
Here again the media is scaring the general population of becoming interested in healthier eating habits by identifying the same as a dis-order. Just my opinion...

[m.guardian.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Orthorexia
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 19, 2009 04:43PM

Same thing with mental illness. "You think differently than me, and I'm making myself the normal or judge; therefore, anyone who is different has a disorder/problem."

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 19, 2009 05:34PM

It's interesting, and also perverse, how the establishment thinks restricting known non-foods, like sugar and pesticides, and known allergens, like soy and corn, is a sign of clinical disorder. What's next? Force-feeding children peanuts because their allergy must be "imaginary"?

Thanks for posting, irena.

Posted by: eecho ()
Date: August 19, 2009 05:35PM

Well, mental illness is more involved with the brain, and the brain is extremely complex. Many mental disorders are crippling, while health concious eating is liberating. I think that people can be discriminatory against the mentally ill, but to pass them off as just different would be to deny them the care and services which might help. I think it's a little bit more than thinking differently... although, I think I know what you're saying. People can judge automatically without looking at the unique situation.

Anyway, reading what ireana said did make me somewhat upset, but also afraid. Its frightening how much control the media has over people, that it can actually make them hurt themselves. Its almost like mind control... very powerful. It also makes me wonder how deep the conspiracy goes, with the pharmaceutical companies and everything...

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 19, 2009 05:42PM

I agree that some people's way of thinking may be crippling or damaging to them. I don't know that I'd call their way of thinking as a "disorder," however. smiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2009 05:57PM

I think thats just a matter of syntax - I am pretty sure we aggree though. I have one friend who at first seems retarded because of the way he talks and moves, but is actually quite bright. He gets treated differently quite often just because of that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2009 05:58PM by eecho.

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 19, 2009 06:03PM

Personally, I think its all the "licensed" therapists in the world who are pushing this info off on the media, using the media as a free way to gather more patients. These $2 shrinks will try to find something wrong with everyone in order to "help" them.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 19, 2009 07:26PM

well, i do think that going so far as to avoid tomatoes because they are a "nightshade" (not because they make you feel bad when you eat them), or limiting spices like herbs, garlic, etc because the are "irritants" (not because they irritate You) or choosing to eat fruit only because eating leaves hurts the plants ~ is a little orthorexic, if we have to stick a label on it.

and having just had an experience with a person who is bipolar i can certainly say that i think mental illness is a very real thing. not simply "different" than me, that interaction was sick.

Date: August 19, 2009 07:38PM

Yes, I think the point is we are all a little bit crazy. Just in different areas. And we all just need to help and love one another as best we can. For instance, perhaps someone is orthorexic, but they are a dependable friend, whereas someone else might eat "right", but they are selfish and unreliable. Or, my friend who I was talking about might be a little socially awkward but he is very accepting of other people while someone with good social skills might just put on a facade of acceptance.

So, when we hear something like "this is orthrexia", our first reaction might be "oh, that is bad, we can't live this way anymore". Or when we hear that someone is mentally ill, we might automatically judge them as lesser or deficient in all areas. Rather than these types of reactions, we need to understand that no one is perfect and continue growing as best we can, and help others to do the same. Don't give up healthy eating, just learn and grow and make it work better for you. And don't judge a "mentally ill" person, their illness is simply more visible than yours is winking smiley

Yes?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 20, 2009 10:16PM

Regardless of what you call it (Orthorexia, Anorexia,
Bulimia, Binge Eating, Over Exercise, Over Eating, Night Eating,
EDNOS, etc.), I would bet everyone here has an Eating Disorder
to some degree. If you don't, stand up and be counted......WY
P.S. I've even seen Pro-Ana clips where people think Anorexic
Woman are beautiful. I must admit some of them are very attractive..
.....being 'thin and healthy'. Others are thin-and-unhealthy and
look like S**T.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: August 21, 2009 02:31AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would bet everyone here has an
> Eating Disorder

No, I have an eating order.

Date: August 21, 2009 04:19AM

If the whole world was addicted to heroin, then NOT being addicted to heroin would be a mental illness.

I personally was locked in a psychiatric hospital and brain-damaged by them forcibly injecting drugs into me for months.

There's a clear reduction in brain-volume and brain cells. If you work it out by looking at what they found in monkey experiments.... (google for rhesus monkeys antipsychotics)... they murdered about 4% of my being, my consciousness.

These guys don't mess around. Their hands are bloodied with the murders of millions of old people every year. They disfigure millions more... and say their disfigurement is a "cosmetic" thing, the psychiatrist was only trying to help, so it doesn't matter. They should be scarred in the face and told that doesn't matter.

You have no idea how bad these guys are. They are the lower than the lowest of all insects to have walked this planet. They pull old people and naive people in there, tell them they have a mental illness and BRAIN DAMAGE them with their drugs.

I have seen it with my own eyes what these people do. There's no such thing as mental illness, it's a made-up thing. They do it all for money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2009 04:21AM by SuperInfinity.

Posted by: mysbenson ()
Date: August 21, 2009 04:45AM

Mental disorders and illnesses are all invented. There is no scientific proof for any of them. They keep inventing disorders and now say 1 in 5 Americans have a mental illness or disorder. They way they get a new disorder is Big Pharma or Some Psychiatry group comes up with a new one and then the American Psychiatric Association has a vote whether or not to add it to their book of disorders. Take ADHD. When kids get put on a clean diet they get better. ADHD is a physical disorder, not a mental, which is corrected by nutrition and lifestyle. Depression is an emotion which a person can have after a serious loss. When people have clinical depression they recover from it with nutrition and lifestyle changes. Schizophrenia is treated with nutrients and lifestyle in Europe and other parts of the world. Big Pharma and Psychiatry are getting rich off of psych drugs and forcing children onto drugs for ADHD to stay in school. The horror stories can be found on the internet. For more information about the fraud of Psychiatry and Psychiatric Drugs go to www.cchr.com

Date: August 21, 2009 04:56AM

You are so right mysbenson. smiling smiley

It is *ALL* *NONSENSE*, all of it.

They use the same brainscans of people whose brains were damaged by the medication to "show" that the brains are of malfunctioning schizophrenic people. It's the most farcical thing ever invented.

I think that the science and art of Primatology goes a huge way to explaining some of our behaviours. Because it shows a sort of reflection of humans, but without the extreme levels of brainwashing and manipulation we're all exposed to. It shows how primates (including us) get along, how they are happy in life, how they relate to others... it shows our pure instinct rather than how we've been conditioned to act.

mysbenson Wrote:
> Mental disorders and illnesses are all invented.
> There is no scientific proof for any of them. They
> keep inventing disorders and now say 1 in 5
> Americans have a mental illness or disorder. They
> way they get a new disorder is Big Pharma or Some
> Psychiatry group comes up with a new one and then
> the American Psychiatric Association has a vote
> whether or not to add it to their book of
> disorders. Take ADHD. When kids get put on a
> clean diet they get better. ADHD is a physical
> disorder, not a mental, which is corrected by
> nutrition and lifestyle. Depression is an emotion
> which a person can have after a serious loss.
> When people have clinical depression they recover
> from it with nutrition and lifestyle changes.
> Schizophrenia is treated with nutrients and
> lifestyle in Europe and other parts of the world.
> Big Pharma and Psychiatry are getting rich off of
> psych drugs and forcing children onto drugs for
> ADHD to stay in school. The horror stories can be
> found on the internet. For more information about
> the fraud of Psychiatry and Psychiatric Drugs go
> to www.cchr.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2009 04:59AM by SuperInfinity.

Posted by: mysbenson ()
Date: August 22, 2009 07:35PM

SuperInfinity - I like what you said about Primatology. I studied up on the diet of the Orangutan and other apes and found they get their fabulous muscles from eating leaves and fruits, green leaves and jungle fruits. Cows and horses and bison and buffalo get their fabulous muscles from eating green grass. I have been putting on more lean mass since using blended green salads and green juice. It is amazing, God's diet for us works. I know this is not about Orthorexia, but I think we have a dialogue going and the stuff agout Primates brought this to my mind.

I know about the brain scan thing you are talking about. I would like the whole world to know about the Psychiatry and Big Pharma fraud. One day at a time. I ordered an information packed from Citizens Commission on Human Rights, it is the facts about the effects Psychiatry has on the American society. It is very good. It is a free information package and you could order one for free at cchr.com

Date: August 22, 2009 11:45PM

my brother has schizophrenia, my father is bi-polar. perhaps they can be 'treated' with intensive nutritional therapy but perhaps not. i don't want to have my kids living in the same house with them in the meantime though. i really don't. not judging, just protecting my vulnerable small people.

here in canada i don't believe there is forced medicating. no one can make my brother take any meds when he decides not too not matter how dangerous he becomes to himself and others. they can hospitalize him, but that is better than jail where he would otherwise go for his "crimes" and be very vulnerable.

it's not a lovely subject, to be sure, but it's also very complex and outside of my realm of experience. ie more than i can deal with.

Date: August 23, 2009 02:08AM

mysbenson Wrote:
> SuperInfinity - I like what you said about
> Primatology. I studied up on the diet of the
> Orangutan and other apes and found they get their
> fabulous muscles from eating leaves and fruits,
> green leaves and jungle fruits. Cows and horses
> and bison and buffalo get their fabulous muscles
> from eating green grass. I have been putting on
> more lean mass since using blended green salads
> and green juice. It is amazing, God's diet for us
> works. I know this is not about Orthorexia, but I
> think we have a dialogue going and the stuff agout
> Primates brought this to my mind.
>

Yes! They eat 70-90+% fruit, depending on how you count it and whether or not they are starving or not from destruction of their habitat. The rest is made up of mostly leafy greens and vegetables, they rarely eat animal protein.

Primatology is one of the best and most interesting subject of all that can enlighten us in so many ways. Sociology and psychology are VERY flimsy and pseudoscientific subjects in comparison. Sometimes they try to go halfways with them, by "evolutionary psychology"... but hell that's going to go through the author's own biases and interpretations as well. Looking at how primates really behave is what's most interesting and most important. Frankly... I'm kind of glad it's not hugely mainstream though... as the primatologists might get forced to modify their findings according to what the government feels best for people then.

My favourite book on primates is Baboon Metaphysics: The Evolution of a Social Mind, I think every part of it is brilliant (except the "theory of mind" part, allegedly theory of mind is something humans have but other animals don't have... it's all a load of hooey if you ask me... apes just have smaller brains and that's what makes people think they are "superior" to them.) But the rest of it is brilliant, in a way the "theory of mind" nonsense itself is good to show how people think about things like that, the psychology behind it and how you can show them that it's all wrong. Baboons aren't the closest primates to humans, but they're pretty darn close and are wayyy better to study for a number of reasons. I do recommend you check this book out, I love it. It's in the top five of my favourite books ever.

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was being over skeptical about the prill breads and water, it's a concept I never heard of though and experience has taught me to be really skeptical about this sort of thing. Any mention of "bread" raises alarm bells for me unfortunately.

> I know about the brain scan thing you are talking
> about. I would like the whole world to know about
> the Psychiatry and Big Pharma fraud. One day at a
> time. I ordered an information packed from
> Citizens Commission on Human Rights, it is the
> facts about the effects Psychiatry has on the
> American society. It is very good. It is a free
> information package and you could order one for
> free at cchr.com

I completely agree with you. Antidepressants, sedatives, stimulants, WILL mess you up and are a MILLION times worse than almost any food! I would sooner eat a diet of pizza, chips, coke and cooked vegetables than take those things.

But the neuroleptics/antipsychotics are a million times worse again! They do an INSANE amount of damage. They literally brain damage you! They literally and definitely decrease your brain size and cause all sorts of damage! Any human that forces those on another human being, nevermind pushing it to old people who don't know any better, is a SCUMBAG that ranks down there with the likes of child rapists, people who batter and beat old people for some of their small cash and people who torture and murder animals cruelly. You can walk away from rape, but you cannot walk away from permanent brain damage. The old people put their trust in the doctor, it's so sick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2009 02:16AM by SuperInfinity.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: August 24, 2009 03:53AM

I would say that the symptoms of psycho-emotional challenges are certainly real.

It is the pharmacological model of treating said symptoms that is all wrong.

Date: September 21, 2009 03:07PM

I think it is only a disorder when you become obsessed. For example people with this disorder would become very anxious if accidently eating an "unpure" food. To some raw foodist, their diet is like a fundamentalist religion, they view cooked/"unpure" food to be just as bad as poison. Even though posion will kill you, but a cookie won't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 03:09PM by illuminationhighrock.

Date: September 23, 2009 02:44AM

illuminationhighrock Wrote:
> I think it is only a disorder when you become
> obsessed. For example people with this disorder
> would become very anxious if accidently eating an
> "unpure" food. To some raw foodist, their diet is
> like a fundamentalist religion, they view
> cooked/"unpure" food to be just as bad as poison.
> Even though posion will kill you, but a cookie
> won't.

But I would become very anxious if I accidentally ate an "unpure" food [your wording, not my own, in fact the word is "impure"winking smiley. You don't sound like a very good raw foodist if that's your attitude, probably not raw long.

For the people who can't get their head around it, I turn to the drug analogy time and time again. Would you get anxious if you ate something containing cocaine? Of course you would.

And a cookie is poison, I don't know what's with the quotation marks. Not all poisons will kill you on the spot. Sure you can take a cookie every day and it won't kill you for a long time, you can also take rat poison every day with the same effect.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 23, 2009 07:18AM

you cant take rat poision everyday like a cookie and get the same reaction.. bad anology

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: September 23, 2009 03:35PM

Jgunn Wrote:
> you cant take rat poision everyday like a cookie
> and get the same reaction.. bad anology

Yes you can. In fact, I do. Let me explain.

It's not just the substance that makes it toxic, it's the amount of it that you intake. I take calcium and vitamin d [which are the active ingredients of some rat poison in order to calcify the rats) every day.

There is other rat poison that will damage you in small quantaties. A tiny bit of rat poison every day = one cookie every day. I think it would be hard to argue against that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2009 03:38PM by SuperInfinity.

Date: September 24, 2009 01:45AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2009 01:57AM by illuminationhighrock.

Date: October 09, 2009 07:38PM

Sorry for my blank post above. I was writing my reply but then I had to go and decided to finish it some other time. There is not delete or edit buttons on this thread.

> But I would become very anxious if I accidentally
> ate an "unpure" food

Seriously, you would become very anxious if you accidentally ate a cookie?
Would you induce vomit? Get your stomach pumped?

> [your wording, not my own, in
fact the word is "impure"winking smiley.

Unpure is correct too.

>You don't sound like a
> very good raw foodist if that's your attitude,
> probably not raw long.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being %100 raw vegan organic, but
some people have developed obsessive compulsive anxiety food disorders. I know, I had a friend who suffered from one and it isn't pretty. But it's not the fault of the pure food diet, it is likely that my friend has a predisposition towards obsessiveness or wasn't very healthy psychologically.

> Sure you can take a cookie every day
> and it won't kill you for a long time, you can
> also take rat poison every day with the same
> effect.

I agree with Jgunn, it is a bad anology.

Which do you think would most likely kill you, binging on a box of cookies or binging on a box of rat poison?

Date: October 23, 2009 02:43PM

i'm going to go and have a cookie now... i'll have to bake it from scratch since i don't have them just lying about the house but man, all this cookie talk is making me want one. gotta be done. thanks a lot guys tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 23, 2009 05:41PM

Golly we don't have to look far for extremism!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables