Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Acne control in teenager
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 02, 2009 10:34PM

Anyone have any tried & true remedies for acne on face, and an bit on the shoulders? A problem that plagues many teenagers, and we obviously don't want to go the "Oxy-10" route.

Have tried using Calcium Bent. clay for awhile, but he got discouraged after no visible change in a weeks worth of use. (typical teen!)

Teen diet obviously not the best, as we are certainly not a mirror image of Victoria Boutenko's family. He is mostly vegan, but only eats maybe 20% raw. He will juice on a regular basis (Thank God) as long I I have them prepared.

Any/all ideas welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acne control in teenager
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 02, 2009 10:55PM

juicerkatz,

Firstly, it's better that he not overwash his face, as that just encourages further sebum production. Does he have any known allergies? Gluten, some berries, and some nuts can cause breakouts. You might try seeing if there's any mild pine-tar soap(avoid "Grandpa's" as it's not pure) at the health food store, or something with rose oil extract; Dr. Bronners liquid soap, diluted, works well, however, he will smell "girlie" as a result : ) Lastly, how was the clay used? As a mask or pack, or internally? Mixing with cider vinegar and water(for a mask), rather than just water, helps to maintain the acid mantle of the skin and quell inflammation, but you have to give it more than a week. Otherwise, it's merely drawing toxins to the surface, but not completing that process. Could you convince him to give it another go? If not, and the recommendations above aren't feasible, spot treating with clove oil(in a medium of carrier oil) can be very beneficial.

The cause is likely hormonal, as you know, so the best thing is for him to be gentle to his skin and ride it out. Easier said than done, I know. A soft pat on the back to the kiddo : )

Date: November 02, 2009 11:09PM

No known allergies, although never tested. I wouldn't say that he over-washes his face either. The clay was used as a mask, mixed with water. I agree about the hormonal thing, at least that is what I have always heard.

We will give it a go w/ the cider vinegar. Don't know if he will go for the "girlie" smell! lol

Interesting about the clove oil; I have heard many good things about it over the years, but never used it. I have even heard stories where abscesses have been cured through the use of clove oil. What is a good carrier oil?

Date: November 03, 2009 07:32PM

juicerkatz,

A good carrier oil is jojoba, olive oil, almond oil--basically, any oil that's not caustic. A drop or two of clove oil to a teaspoon of carrier oil is a good starting ratio. Good luck!

Date: November 03, 2009 07:35PM

We did the cider vinegar/clay mask last eve. He didn't seem to mind too much, even though the aroma leaves a lot to be desired! Will keep at it for a few weeks & post results.

Date: November 03, 2009 07:46PM

juicerkatz,

The cider aroma should dissipate quickly, and in any case is fairly manly[I've spent all day hauling in the harvest in my overalls, you-ho!] compared to the indelible feminine scent of rose oil. But rose oil does work pretty well on acne, soooo . . . .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables