Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Glass straws?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 03, 2009 01:33AM

The more I learn, the more I realize that I may be harming my family. Every morning, I get up and prepare a wonderful fruit/veggie smoothie for my husband and daughter to take to work/school. They both use throw away cups, which I feel bad enough about (landfills), but they also use a straw every day as well. Not only am I filling up the landfill with cups and straws, I read about the hazards of toxins leaching from the plastic Ugh! I saw that there are glass straws that do not leach chemicals, Does anyone on this forum own them? Are they sturdy? Travel well? I was thinking that these might be nice St. Nick presents for the family and we could go green even further. Let me know what you think.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glass straws?
Date: November 03, 2009 01:57PM

They are made of pyrex which is a very strong sort of glass (same as glass baking dishes and measuring cups) but it will still break if knocked hard against something or dropped. Even though I have one I don't recommend them, especially for travel. I use a stainless steel travel coffee mug that is exclusively for smoothies or tea (the scent and flavour of coffee never really come out). It may seem less "convenient" than something disposable but we all just have to get used to carrying cloth bags and travel mugs around, it's a small effort in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure your family will get used to it in no time.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 03, 2009 07:37PM

I'm with coco on this as well. I have used glass straws, but the thought of a break or crack bothers me too much. It is too easy to get a hairline crack if dropped or knocked against something while washing it.

Date: November 03, 2009 11:11PM

That makes sense, I never thought about that. Thanks Coco and Juicerkatz for the information. I will look into the stainless steel travel mugs instead. I sure don't want my family to accidently get cut, so that sounds like a better solution to the problem. What would I do without your wisdom?!? Thanks so much! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables