Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Food allergy to greens??
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 13, 2009 09:44PM

This has happened twice now. I bought some rainbow chard at the whole foods market the other day because I had been getting bored with spinach and kale. The other day I put it in a smoothie with other ingredients that I have had many times before. Not one half hour after drinking that smoothie, I felt as tho I was going to die! Extreme stomach pain, gas, feeling like I was going to vomit, but not quite getting there. My stomach gurgled for many hours afterward and it felt like I could feel the chard moving thru my digestive system. At the time, I thought wow, I wonder if I am getting a stomach bug, not making the correlation.

I tried the chard again this afternoon, in a smoothie. Oh my goodness, here we go again. I have never been more aware of my digestive system and I am feeling more pain from this smoothie than the last. It is very obvious that something about chard does not agree with my system. Has anyone else ever felt this way from a whole, organic veggie?

Obviously, the chard is going in the trash. Is there anything that I can do to make this feeling pass faster. I am drinking lots of water, but all I want to do is go to sleep. ugh, I never want to feel like this again and this is the only green that has affected me this way so far.

Not smiling smiley, too much pain sad smiley Deb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Food allergy to greens??
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 13, 2009 09:59PM

i would say you are probably alergic to it or its somehow contaminated ... if you are allergic to it , it wont mean you allergic to other greens . Personally id stay away from it , if you are having such exploseive reactions to it smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: November 13, 2009 10:35PM

I used to have that problem whenever I ate anything with oats. Doubles me over in horrible stomach pain. The best thing I can suggest in situations like that is to take copious amount of activated charcoal..... and avoid the offending ingredient. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: November 13, 2009 10:38PM

Who knows what the chard came into contact with or if it's just the content of the chard itself..maybe too much indigestible fiber for your system at this time.

Take some activated charcoal capsules, or tablets and you can easily find activated charcoal. Not only does it help with gas and bloating, but with any toxins that are contained in or on the chard. 1-4 Capsules or some tablets and or 1 T of black activated charcoal powder in a glass of water, stir, let settle then drink what is there and then add more water and stir again when ready to drink more of that mixture. You can't get enough, but they say you can take too little. I myself started out with 1-2 capsules and some other uses for it. I've upped my amount now.

When you feel better you could look up chard and learn more about it.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 15, 2009 01:27AM

Thanks for all of your help, I am feeling MUCH better today. Last night was a bit rough though. I have vowed to never use rainbow chard again tho, whether it is organic or not. I think I will stick to the greens that I know. I wasn't able to get the activated charcoal because I was here by myself, so I drank copious amounts of water and went to bed and slept the allergic reaction off. That will never happen again and the next time I am out, I will pick up the charcoal, just in case.

Smiling again smiling smiley Deb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables