Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Dealing with stinkbugs...
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: October 05, 2010 03:38PM

This is funny you brought this up!
I live very close to you,and I have them coming in around my window AC.
They seem to be going away the last few days.

Oh....been to Sonnewalds lately?
They recently had a speaker there,and an presentation.
I didnt go,but heard it was good.

Vinny

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: October 05, 2010 07:28PM

Hi Vin,

We sealed all the entryways around our ac units, but it didn't help very much - as these guys can squeeze in the smallest of openings... I screened all the vents on our roof, and caulked any cracks I could find.

Problem is, they can detect the smallest heat source or draft, and that is where they go to gain entrance. Our house has about 100' of eave area that is vented & that is just about impossible to seal.

Sonnewalds? We go about every 2 weeks to stock up on stuff. To be honest, we have never been to any of the presentations that they have had! I do download the podcasts from the website & listen to the radio broadcast that Willa does, though.

She is so informative, really knows her stuff, & so does Grace. (mom)

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 05, 2010 10:35PM

Deep in Pennsylvania, people I've never heard of do stuff I've never heard of at places I've never heard of. I feel so left out . . . smiling smiley

Date: October 05, 2010 11:03PM

Tamu,

Don't you have natural foods stores/farmers markets/country markets in your area?

Sonnewalds is a neat little natural foods store with a nice sized area of mostly locally grown produce, which is "clean" for the most part.

They have just recently started carrying "raw" nuts...but I have my suspicions about those...

We don't have any Whole Foods stores near me, so this is the next best thing, I guess... smiling smiley

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: October 06, 2010 04:29PM

I transported at least one stinkbug to the Thousand Islands area - on the Canadian Border of NY State - over the weekend. But it's so cold there, I don't think they'll make it to next year. This morning I found out I had slept with a stinkbug on a white blanket that I had gotten out of the closet and put on the bed last night.

Date: October 16, 2010 10:55PM

In my local paper today -

Artist makes jewelry from stinkbugs...

[www.ydr.com]

Date: October 17, 2010 01:59PM

jk,

I found that oddly grisly. I have a box elder bug infestation outside my house now; not a serious problem because they are large enough that they can't get in through small spaces and can easily be picked up individually and tossed onto the lawn. Box elder bugs have a beautiful black and red chevron pattern on their elliptical shaped backs, yet I would not dream of making jewelry out of them.

Date: October 18, 2010 12:19AM

That jewelry gives me the creeps, just like the bugs. This articles about how to kill them was interesting, but sad.

[www.yorkblog.com]

The other day a stinkbug landed on my hand and surprised me, so I was jumping around and yelling like those people who I make fun of who go crazy when there's a bee around their space smiling smiley

Date: October 18, 2010 03:26PM

KidRaw,

You know, reading those anecdotes, I imagined a sort of hierarchy of infestations: Susan, metro editor, leaves the stinkbugs; because they are "so dumb," in the plastic cup into which they've crawled to starve to death, but is there a plastic cup in outer space big enough for Susan and her fellow humanbugs?

I see the Big Picture, yes I do . . .

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 29, 2010 05:54PM

I had one stink bug in the house sometime ago. It was flying around a light in my room. When it landed I caught it alive in a cup, covered it with a piece of paper and let it go outside. I am not sure what I would do if there were alot. That would have been too difficult to do the same thing.

Date: November 08, 2010 03:12PM

I found out what stinkbugs love to hibernate in, more than cloth. It's paper bags and boxes. We took a load of paper stuff in bags to be recycled and they were loaded with stinkbugs, which we found out when we were dumping them. Unfortunately, in our garage, we have probably a few hundred boxes and loads of paper bags that I saved to use later, so I'll probably be getting a lot of scary surprises all winter until they leave in the spring.

Date: November 18, 2010 12:20PM

We are still fighting these creatures. Probably capture about 100 or so per day. We have been using the "jar" method. Put a small amount of water/dishsoap in a mason jar (couple of inches), come up under the bug & most times they will jump into the jar w/o too much prodding.

This method is easier than the vacuum most of the time, unless we discover a large amount of them hiding behind the sofa or other furniture.

On another forum, someone mentioned that the Praying mantis would eat them. I am not sure if this is true or not. We usually have a fair amount of Praying mantis' in my area, but I did not see as many this past summer.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables