Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bee Pollen
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: February 09, 2011 06:35PM

Just wondering what's the story on Bee Pollen. I had thought it was an animal product, so it wasn't Vegan, but then I have a friend who considers himself vegan, but eats honey. And then on the Debate between Dr. Cousens and Dr. Mercola, Dr. Cousens was talking about eating bee pollen. So I just looked it up on Google, and so far only read this article --

Bee Pollen – A true “superfood”, cancer and disease annihilator

[rawvegandiet.wordpress.com]

I'll look up more about it, but I was really wondering about the inside story in the raw food community. Like - has this always been the case that raw foodists eat bee pollen, or just recently, and any other information about anyone's experience with it or any other raw food guru's stance on eating bee pollen if you're vegan.

Actually, I just did a search of the forum, and found some discussion and information, but anything else would be appreciated. I'm just surprised and happy to know that it's okay for vegans to eat bee pollen. I'm also wondering about the royal jelly, which I was thinking of trying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 06:45PM by KidRaw.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bee Pollen
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 09, 2011 06:51PM

It's ok for you to eat whatever you like but consuming bee anything falls outside of the definition of vegan. If it's important to be able to label yourself a vegan, bee pollen is not for you.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 09, 2011 08:50PM

Remember that anything from an animal, even if it's from a plant and merely conveyed /processed by an animal, as with pollen, isn't vegan. Vegetarian, if it has to be classified, but not vegan. Just as leather belts and shoes aren't vegan. It's a very strict road to travel.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: February 09, 2011 10:09PM

I bought some pollen years ago which was direct harvest of pollen without the work of bees. I don't know how the supplier got it, but I remember it had energy in it that bee pollen didn't seem to have.

Date: February 09, 2011 11:05PM

You can eat flowers, they are full of pollen winking smiley.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 09, 2011 11:18PM

flowers are yummy too!! I love flowers in my salad, they are pretty AND deliciousgrinning smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 10, 2011 05:14PM

Not considered vegan but bee pollen is a great food, especially for those suffering adrenal fatigue as it is the highest plant source of vitamin b5.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: February 10, 2011 05:39PM

Thanks, all. I guess Dr. Cousens isn't strictly vegan. powerlifer, I notice you've mentioned adrenal fatigue a couple times -- I think I'll get checked for that at my next screening - I don't think my muscles are all they should be.

Date: February 10, 2011 05:54PM

Modern doctors tend to not care for underfunctioning adrenal glands or mild adrenal insufficiency they tend to only accept in extreme cases such as addisons disease.

Date: February 10, 2011 07:11PM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bought some pollen years ago which was direct
> harvest of pollen without the work of bees. I
> don't know how the supplier got it, but I remember
> it had energy in it that bee pollen didn't seem to
> have.

The energy from both comes from the high concentration of b complex vitamins. You are right though there are non bee pollens which often come from different types of flowers.

Theres also pine pollen which is great, all the above pending your not allergic.

Date: February 10, 2011 07:37PM

Right, that pine pollen. I want to try it but ooh it's kinda pricey. You're supposed to take quite a bit of it too, how long does a jar last you Powerlifer? What do you like about it particularly?

Date: February 10, 2011 10:28PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right, that pine pollen. I want to try it but ooh
> it's kinda pricey. You're supposed to take quite a
> bit of it too, how long does a jar last you
> Powerlifer? What do you like about it
> particularly?

So many crazy doses, again half to one teaspoon upto to 3 times daily is fine. So far i have found it great it has helped many a friend. One who was estrogen dominance and got better. It is rich in nutrients/phytonutrients also.

it has helped me alot also.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 10:31PM by powerlifer.

Date: February 11, 2011 09:02AM

That sounded like i was being mean sorry coco lol, was tired before bed didnt mean it to sound that way. What i meant was there are so many crazy guidelines for dosages, ive seen people recommend tablespoons upon tablespoons for pine pollen, same for maca. Its no wonder some end up not feeling good taking crazy sized doses.

For the pine pollen and maca i say 1 teaspoon up to 3 times a day is fine, usually best to take at least 20-30 minutes before meals to prevent any of the goodness not being absorbed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 09:13AM by powerlifer.

Date: February 11, 2011 07:51PM

I got your meaning, never fear. That still seems like a lot to me though, the container is quite small and at that dose would last about a week! I want to try it but it may only be something I use therapeutically.

Date: February 14, 2011 04:59AM

If you're in the US, check here for pine pollen powder [www.invincibleherbs.com] With all supplements you start off with a smaller dosage and then over two weeks raise it again. Depending on your issue working up to 1-2 tbs a day is safe.

Date: February 14, 2011 02:10PM

That 2 oz container of pine pollen (for $30 on sale) has 12 teaspoons in it. At 2 tsp daily that's 6 days worth of product for $5/day. 2 TBSP daily and you'd be using a whole container every 2 days.

That's a bit rich for my blood.

Date: February 14, 2011 07:32PM

I agree:/ man i f I knew that stuff was worth so much, I was surrounded by pine trees in my old home, every spring the road and cars would be blanketed in pollen,LOL...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 14, 2011 08:52PM

I live in Canada and have never seen pine pollen in my life. Can I actually harvest it myself? Why not eh? I should give it a go.

Date: February 14, 2011 09:44PM

if its a a pine I cant see why not!!! grinning smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables