Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hives O.o
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 09, 2011 07:55PM

I woke up this morning covered in itchy hives (only knowing what they are after searching the net for many hours, as I have never gotten this be4) they are large, red, squishy, itchy, and annoying... I heard oatmeal can help with the itchy ness... any other suggestions? already trying benadryl *yawn* although id rather find something less...meh... to treat with...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hives O.o
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: February 09, 2011 08:00PM

Never had them...but I recently read on another website where Calcium Bentonite clay baths can be used as a treatment for this.

I would either go that route, or a homeopathic remedy for hives...or both.

I just remembered, you don't use homeopathic remedies... winking smiley

Date: February 09, 2011 08:04PM

Never had one work except this one for muscle pain, but others with similar ingredients didnt work... bentonite clay cool cool, I dont think our bathtubs drain could handle the clay though,lol... I guess I just need to find out what im having an allergic reaction to:/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 09, 2011 08:56PM

Do you know what caused the hives? A clay or oatmeal soak can't hurt. Or brew up some nettle leaf or red alder tea to use topically as a soothing toner applied with a washcloth. Anything with tannins in it should have the same anti-inflammatory effect if daubed on hives. But do get to the source of the problem.

Date: February 09, 2011 10:05PM

I have no idea, ive not introduced anything new into my diet, im wary of using anything with tannins, as I know at least internally I may be allergic to anything high in them, cause Im allergic to red wines, and those really dark grape varieties and juice... although I dont have any problem with black tea, so maybe its not the tannins? I will use a really strong black tea on it and see if that helps, thanks tam

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 09, 2011 11:08PM

You can put a handful of oats into a cheese cloth bag (or a foot from pantyhose or even an old thin sock or piece of fabric), tie it up and put it into a bath or warm not hot water. When it's all soft and gooey use it as you would soap, gently rub it all over. No need to rinse, it will be diluted enough in the bath. Pat your skin dry, don't rub. Apply aloe if you have any. And eat pineapple and blueberries as they are anti-inflammatory.

This could be old junk in your system showing it's lumpy, itchy face, you just never know.

Date: February 09, 2011 11:17PM

thats a good idea! who knows, it could be, jk suggested in email that stress could be possible to, ive heard of stress causing hives, im gonna increase my stress relieving regimen as well,lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: February 09, 2011 11:28PM

I've had them on my whole body about three times. It's horrible, because they itch 24/7, unlike poisin ivy. It's coming from the inside, so it has to run it's course. You need to know what you're allergic to because if it's something you're still eating or drinking, they'll just get worse. I found out mine was from Copper in the Vitamin Code vitamins I was taking. Are you taking anything new at all or putting anything on your body that's different?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 09, 2011 11:59PM

KidRaw,

Wow, it wouldn't have occurred to me that there might be too much copper in those--I take only a half dose, but was thinking of gradually going up to full. I am a bit sensitive to copper, so this is good to know--thanks.

Curator,

You are under a ton of stress, true. Please get more sleep smiling smiley

Date: February 10, 2011 12:04AM

Are you making bread? If so you've been touching something you don't usually touch. Did you ... try some? Or maybe it's from picking that rosemary. You never know.

Date: February 10, 2011 08:07PM

hmmm, I have eaten a small amount of bread here and there, testing it to make sure I got the recipe right since its been so long since ive been making bread, im not a big bread person anymore though, it could be the rosemary? I dont handle a lot of rosemary usually, I will do some spot tests with various bread stuff and herbs ive been using, and see what happens.

I try to Tam, but I just cant sleep most of the time,lol... I lay down for hours and hours and hours, and the sleep just doesnt come... although the benadryl helped with that,confused smiley... Ive decided to up my meditation sessions to 3 a day, of 20-30 minutes each, or more if I have the time.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 10, 2011 10:23PM

A warm bath can relax you but a half hour after a bath your heart rate actually goes up so it's not that helpful for sleep. Exercise is supposed to work though, gets your heart rate up but then you feel tired a bit later.
Valerian works too or other herbal remedies. I don't recommend tea however, having to pee is not restful winking smiley.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: February 10, 2011 11:05PM

Make your bedroom as dark as possible. Unplug everything and turn off the fuse to your bedroom so there's no electricity flow. Put your cell phone in another room and don't sleep anywhere near a smoke detector. Don't have anything that smells in your room, even natural smells. If you have public water with chlorine and fluoride, don't touch any water after about 4:00. Don't eat after 7:30.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: February 10, 2011 11:38PM

KidRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Make your bedroom as dark as possible. Unplug
> everything and turn off the fuse to your bedroom
> so there's no electricity flow. Put your cell
> phone in another room and don't sleep anywhere
> near a smoke detector. Don't have anything that
> smells in your room, even natural smells. If you
> have public water with chlorine and fluoride,
> don't touch any water after about 4:00. Don't eat
> after 7:30.

We recently had a power outage for a day & a half - man, I hadn't had such a restful sleep in a long time. It was great!

Date: February 11, 2011 12:02AM

Valerian Hypes me up Coco,lol... I bet now a bunch of people are gonna say "thats not possible." just like when I posted that caffeine actually calms me down, actually I used to drink black tea or even coffee be4 bed to help me sleep, but the liquid would wake me up early wanting to get out,lol...

My room IS always as dark as possible,lol, I cant sleep if there is any light,I never have any electronics on in my room, however there is no way to turn off the electricity for my room without turning off the kitchens electricity... I do not have an active cell phone, I use my old one for an alarm clock on days I need to be up by a certain time, but even then its turned off, not broadcasting, the alarm works without the phone part being active...

I have some new developments in the allergy department, I tested by rubbing bread dough on one clear part of my arm, already made bread on another, rosemary on another, aaaand the area where I rubbed both the bread dough and bread are swollen and itchy and red...:/... wtf...

My questions now, are, is it possible for somebody to be allergic to wheat for their entire life, but be so used to it that it doesnt cause reactions like this, then go for a long time with little or no wheat in their diet, then all of a sudden be around it a lot and have a reaction like this? like ive somehow lost all tolerance? blarg... im gonna do a few more tests, and who knows...maybe I will have to look into figuring out how to make some good gluten free stuff:/... profit margin is a lot suckier on that stuff though...less market for it too.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 11, 2011 12:45AM

Give yourself some time, you may adjust to the bread making without coming out in hives. Just don't rub it on yourself winking smiley.
I think I remember that about valerian and you. Try a different sort of herbal tea and some restful meditation. Have a bed time routine you stick to no matter what and go to bed at the same time each night. Good luck. I have a hard time with sleep too.

Date: February 11, 2011 01:02AM

yeah, I drink chamomile and kava sometimes, but always earlier in the day, as if I drink to late...causes issues,lol... the bed time thing is kind of hard, cause since my mom sleeps a lot during the day, she doesnt have a set bedtime, and I have to stay up till she is ready to go to bed... I do have a routine though that I always do... it does help to wind down. thanks

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 15, 2011 08:21PM

I had dinner plate size hives a few times but only during 1 period of my life and what I got exposed to was a service that came to spray for fleas, ants, roaches outside my house on a routine basis. Either my dogs got it on their fur from outside then brought it in and I touched them or maybe I came into contact it in some other way. It was pretty scary though.

So, finding out what is the cause would be the best thing. When I get bug bite or any itchy skin or cut I put liquid Lugol's Iodine on it. Works great. You can paint it on the hives, or soak in a warm bath with a dropper full of Iodine.

Or soak in a bath with hydrogen peroxide or Epsom salts.

Love,
Prism

Date: February 15, 2011 09:15PM

thanks, ive been using some epsom salts, er, although where I usually buy from calls it magnesium sulfate, as that is what it is, I can buy it in bulk for very cheap, then add lil drops of essential oils to separate batches if I want it scented ^_^...

Im wondering if that is what im having a problem with, since my landlord sprays that junk around our property, but I have no dogs, and i stay out of the yard... my little herb boxes are on our porch by the house, far away from the yard...unless he decided to spray my herbs too O.O... but I asked him specifically not to...

so far though, as I have had no more order for bread, ive not been making any, and the hives went away, I made some rye bread for my neighbor the other day, she loves it, and the hives came back... so im still leaning towards the hives being caused by some part of the bread making process, anyone heard of allergies to Yeast? I think im going to have to do some more experimentation soon... after this clears up, expose one area to live active yeast, all happy and bubbly, another area to just dampened flour, another area with the herbs from my herb box, and another area with grass or weed leaf from the yard, mark each with a different color dot from a permanent marker, with the color and corresponding potential allergen listed, and a control dot with just the pen...nothing else, so I can make sure the pens arent skewing the results...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables