Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dietary sugar and mental illness.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 20, 2011 02:27AM

I don't know why this article calls that "surprising", it sure isn't big news to me.

[www.psychologytoday.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dietary sugar and mental illness.
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 20, 2011 08:22PM

I agree, all I know is I sure as heck dont feel nearly as emotionally healthy with a bunch of sugar in my system...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 20, 2011 09:43PM

Like, duh

smiling smiley

Date: February 20, 2011 10:12PM

No kidding, right? But people still won't believe that sugar is not good for them. Or they go for artificial instead, gah!

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: February 21, 2011 05:07PM

I had a a rather unsettling conversation related to this this weekend. I think everyone knows what isn't good for them, but they eat it anyway.

This guy had the philosophy that life 'isn't worth living' if he can't eat this, that or the other thing. Amoung the items on his list was alcohol, processed sugar, and animal foods. He was surprisingly forward, and almost in my face about it for some reason. Like he was trying to start an arguement. This was after my partner mentioned that we were changing certain habits for health concerns. We have known him for almost a year and he has had some serious bouts of gout. One was so severe he had a hard time standing up. Cognitive dissonance is a terrible thing to watch....

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 22, 2011 03:19PM

Mislu,

I am beginning to think cognitive dissonance is a type of psychosis, like, real clinical psychosis. I'm not kidding. It suggests an aberrant lack of self awareness, and when I encounter someone in the throes of it, it reminds me so much of visiting the senile oldsters in the nursing home, that I cannot think of it as something not clinical.

Date: February 22, 2011 03:55PM

Tamukha,
Cognitive dissonance just means that someone is maintaining two conflicting ideas or habits. What they say doesn't match their experience or reality, or conflicts with something else that they have said.

It can be very severe, in which case a person is usually in a mental ward. But most of the time its more subtle, and eventually a person can become aware of it. What I don't think he was aware of is that enjoying a food includes the whole package, not just the moment when someone eats it. It includes digestion, metabolizism and elimination.

Date: February 22, 2011 10:08PM

mmmmm kind of off topic, but I am seriously craving a good salad right now, but lettuce is all like $3 a head right now even for iceberg...crazy stuff... there are so many edible weeds around here, but almost everybody sprays their yards with poison in this area, I dont wanna forage in such a risky area:/ I miss the ease of foraging in my hometown,lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 22, 2011 10:30PM

I understand food prices are rising in many places in the world as shortages are starting to happen. I think its against policy to comment any further.

Date: February 22, 2011 10:52PM

Food prices are increasing everywhere, it's madness. You have to plant some stuff no matter how or where you're living these days, as much as you can to offset the higher cost of everything else. Sprout too. And fast one day a week. And no more wasteful juicing, blend. Sorry, juicing is expensive unless you later eat all the pulp. No fancy raw food recipes, no eating in restaurants, no late night snacks or "fun" foods or treats. That's my recipe anyhow.

Date: February 23, 2011 01:33AM

Ive been eating the pulp for awhile now, ive been making salads of sorts with it... not the most pleasant of textures, but its better than wasting it

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables