Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Silver ions in deodorant
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: June 16, 2011 08:48PM

Hello, I did some shopping for other family members this week. Speed stick was on the list, but as I was looking I found a stick which contained silver ions! I was pretty amazaed. Herbs and other substances have been making their way into conventional cosmetics. I was surprised to see silver, as I never expected that to appear in a conventional product. Of course it was mixed in with the usual list of ingredients which are probably not that great. But I thought to myself "Silver eh? I wonder if it works?"

What do you think about using silver in an under arm odor protector?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Silver ions in deodorant
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 17, 2011 07:51PM

Well, it's antibiotic. The problem is that anti-perspirants block perspiration, that is, toxins from the lymph from being excreted through the pores, so silver or no, they aren't great for one's health. Silver ions in a natural deoderant makes sense to me, though, as these aren't designed to clog pores. We are so squeamish about sweat in our culture . . . It would be interesting to know whether the silver actually neutralizes odor that effectively.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: June 18, 2011 01:08PM

Yes, made me wonder if silver would work. I think it was a deodorizer, not anti persperant. Well, just about every body function causes an ick factor for most people. Any body smell, tear, saliva, liquid or juice that over comes out of the body. I watched some strange show about young teenage girls being afraid to be seen eating. She said that yes, we do eat, and its needed, but just the mess, and the suggestion of body functions associated with it, like digestion could turn other people off.

I noticed that I produce WAY more saliva on raw foods than on regular cooked food. I also smell more stuff. Maybe there is some subconscious connection, and another level to the cooked food thinking. Its an inhibition of living, and perhaps most people are more comfortable with that.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 18, 2011 03:39PM

Im not sure im overly keen on using any anti-bacterial agent on the skin long term. It can cause microbes to build resistance and then you have anti-biotic resistant germs.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: June 20, 2011 10:46PM

I just don't wear deoderant at all. Haven't for maybe three years now. Occasionally I'll rub a little sweet smelling essential oil like cinnamon or peppermint on, or put something yummy smelling on my skin like really rich coconut oil. But no deoderant. Your natural smell becomes pretty yummy when you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, especially tons of leafy greens.

I notice if I eat too much cooked food or drink too much coffee, I start detecting a hint of BO again. But as long as I keep those greens and fruit coming, that sweet smell returns. smiling smiley

It was sort of a big awakening moment in my life when I realized that I could just... not wear deoderant. It became a source of confidence for me, because I'd bee conditioned to FEAR not wearing it from growing up in public school, seeing how kids with BO got teased, and just by being taught by my mother and friends that EVERYONE must wear deoderant once they hit puberty. Everyone. I never even realized some people didn't, until I began going down the more natural eating path.

I say rock your natural smell and don't apologize. People need to get over this idea that everyone should smell like a chemical perfume bottle.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: June 20, 2011 10:51PM

Oh and I wanted to add I really think there is also some sort of back up that happens with deoderant, because of the toxins being released, and like anything else, I think people need some time to "detox" after wearing it their entire life, so when they first stop, there might be more smell. But after awhile, either you get used to it, or it improves, I'm not sure which. I just know I do recall having more BO when I first began going free. Of course my diet wasn't raw then either.

I kind of think it's similar to how people get addicted to chapstick. Or how their skin gets oily so they overwash. You're meant to sweat and when you block it, the body tries to compensate. SO you sweat more. And then you wear more deoderant. And so on.

Also my partner is a muscular, sweaty guy and he never wears deoderant either. He said that he used to HAVE to wear it, but now that he's eating my raw salads and dates and bananas all the time, he's one good smelling man, trust me.

I say that just because some people claim you can't smell your own BO (I think that is UNTRUE but whatever) so I might smell and not know it- but I think paying attention to my partner as well has given me a good grasp of how it works. smiling smiley

Posted by: Johnnydh4 ()
Date: July 30, 2012 05:15PM

Silver is a natural anti-bacterial. That being said, as long as there isn't aluminum zirconium in it it should be alright. I think the ions are supposed to attach to the bacteria that causes BO and eliminate it. I would imagine they add some sort of fragrance to the mix as well. I've actually been looking for this deodorant to try out and will keep you posted on how it works. Unless it has aluminum in it then I will not buy it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables