Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Recommendations for Vitamins, Etc.
Date: July 26, 2011 05:27PM

Hi y'all,

Just wondering whether anyone had recommendations for Multivitamins, Omega-3/6/9 stuff...I'm looking at brands like Nature's Way, NOW Foods, Kirkland...not sure whether they're all the same. Too bad that Republican from Utah got the supplement industry exempt from FDA scrutiny back in the '90s!!

Anyway, your experiences would be helpful; thanks....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommendations for Vitamins, Etc.
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 26, 2011 09:12PM

I like the raw multi from Garden of Life's Vitamin Code raw supplement line: I have tried many, many different multis in my life, and this is the one I've found to be most effective. They are grouped by sex and age, I believe, so you can choose the one that has the appropriate nutrient profile for your needs. Apart from that, I say stay away from "drugstore" vitamins--they are riddled with synthetics and weird binders and preservatives.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 27, 2011 04:41PM

Personally i prefer to get as much as possible from diet or wholefood supplements if i dont.

Rather than use a multi-vitamin in most cases ill use a blend of green powders such as chlorella, spirulina, wheatgrass, barley grass, nettle leaf, oat grass etc. These all have individual benefits so getting more bang for my buck than just providing nutrients.

I prefer to get fatty acids from foods such as nuts, seeds such as chia, flax seed etc.

Depends if you have any specific issues or concerns as to what supplements are best for you. Supplementation should be tailored specifically and a good diet is always a must also.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: July 28, 2011 06:26PM

JuicingBodybuilder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Too bad that Republican from Utah got the
> supplement industry exempt from FDA scrutiny back
> in the '90s!!

We don't want the FDA messing with the Supplement Industry!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 28, 2011 08:56PM

make sure the multivitamin doesn't contain folic acid. Folate from green vegetables is excellent. But folic acid which is the synthetic form is dangerous. If you don't already know about Gentle Care, you should. You won't find a better supplement on the market, not just for what it has but more importantly for what it doesn't have. [www.youtube.com] It's no secret on the Board that I'm a Fuhrman fan. Gentle care is one reason why, but not the only or even the most important.

Paul

Date: July 31, 2011 02:53AM

The Government has been trying to take over the Supplement Industry for years --

Now Gov’t Trying to Ban Sale of Your Supplements

[www.newsmax.com]

Date: August 05, 2011 05:16PM

KidRaw Wrote:
> The Government has been trying to take over the
> Supplement Industry for years --
>
> Now Gov’t Trying to Ban Sale of Your
> Supplements
>
> [www.newsmax.com]
> ts-fda-ban/2011/07/29/id/405365?s=al&promo_code=CB
> B3-1

Not sure why you're against government regulation...wouldn't you like to have guarantees that the products you buy at least contain what they say they do, in the amounts claimed?? Even better if the benefits suggested are actually guaranteed true....

Date: August 07, 2011 05:54PM

Sorry, I didn't realize the link didn't work. Here's a better one --

[www.newsmax.com]

I won't go into why I don't like excessive government regulations in general, but as far as the government regulating supplements --

I think the government is in bed with "Big Pharma" and so therefore wants to "regulate' supplements to make it harder or impossible for supplement companies to stay in business because of the excessive time and expense of all the complicated new regulations, so that the Big Pharmaceutical companies can have no competition or just take them over, whatever.

Not to mention that if they are all controlled by the government, then if we wanted to buy and take a regular old vitamin or mineral, etc., we'd probably have to go to a doctor and get a prescription and it would cost ten times as much as it does now.

Just ran across this --

[www.jeremiahproject.com]

The "War on Drugs" is really about who controls the flow of drugs and who profits from their use.

The war on drugs is really only an excuse for sustaining a military and corporate presence across the planet where governments and their crony corporations both control and profit from the manufacture, sale, and use of "controlled substances." Big Pharma owns many politicians and lobbies heavily in Washington to maintain their corner on the drug market as their profits have soared with the increased popularity and use of "legal" controlled substances. Backed by Big Pharma reelection campaign money, our lawmakers are acting to directly enforce a Big Pharma monopoly at the expense of the public.

Harry Reid - Nevada Senator and U.S. Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid was recently exposed for accepting large sums of money from Big Pharma in order to craft and guide the recently-passed health care bill in Big Pharma's favor [NaturalNews.com]. Reid successfully stopped Byron Dorgan's drug reimportation amendment from being added to the bill, which would have helped to reduce drug costs for consumers (and cut Big Pharma's profits). Drug companies Eli Lilly, Pfizer, Merck and Astra-Zeneca rewarded Reid nicely for his services by paying him tens of thousands of dollars.

Big Pharma essentially wrote the health care bill promoted by Barack Obama and passed by the Democratic Congress. Billy Tauzin, then President of the Pharmaceutical Researchers and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), the largest single-industry lobbying group in the nation, visited the White House to work out a deal on the health care bill. According to reports, he negotiated with government officials to make sure all existing drug industry favors would remain intact in any proposed health care legislation. Tauzin was able to convince Democrat politicians to add to the bill additional drug industry perks including subsidies, mandates, and a complete monopoly on complex drugs that will last 12 years.

The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has also been instrumental in protecting the Big Pharma monopoly stranglehold on American consumers while deepening the financial ties between the government and Big Pharma. So-called "drug safety" bills are purchased from the regulators by drug companies while explicitly failing to protect foods and nutritional supplements from FDA regulation efforts. Although hundreds of thousands of consumers have contacted their lawmakers to demand an end to the monopoly price fixing currently operating in the United States, lawmakers cannot bring themselves to support any legislation that threatens the profits of Big Pharma."

Date: August 07, 2011 06:36PM

This guy can explain it better than me -

[www.naturalnews.com]

[www.google.com]

And remember the Rule of Thumb -

Whatever the Government Gets Involved In (Takes Over) Doesn't Turn Out Well

Date: August 10, 2011 07:18PM

KidRaw,

Thanks for the references but all I see is that the Utah Republican is against government regulation (no surprise, as most supplement companies are located in his state and it was on their behalf that he first shot down FDA regulation way back in the '90s!)....

Again, let's just keep this simple:

1. What's wrong with the government mandating that supplements contain the ingredients they claim to contain?

2. What's wrong with the government mandating that supplements contain the amounts of ingredients that they claim to contain?

3. What's wrong with the government mandating that any health claims be backed up by peer-reviewed research?

I just don't understand why you, who are into health, should be against government regulation. Don't you realize that for all we know right now the supplements we're buying could be just placebos??

And yes I did read the references you cited but all I saw was stuff about "individual choice" and other such language that didn't answer any of those three questions. It sounded more like the supplement industry just want to be able to do whatever they want, without verification.

Doesn't that sound like the subprime mortgage mess all over again??

Date: August 11, 2011 12:41PM

> KidRaw,

> 1. What's wrong with the government mandating that
> supplements contain the ingredients they claim to
> contain?
>
> 2. What's wrong with the government mandating that
> supplements contain the amounts of ingredients
> that they claim to contain?
>
> 3. What's wrong with the government mandating that
> any health claims be backed up by peer-reviewed
> research?

Sounds great....on the surface. Yes, that would be wonderful.....

....in a perfect world, but this is a bizarro world if you ask me, and so the legislation is not innocuous.

The Consequences.

And I don't trust government; I think they are not a friend of us Raw Foodists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 12:44PM by KidRaw.

Date: August 11, 2011 02:52PM

KidRaw Wrote:
>
>
>
> Sounds great....on the surface. Yes, that would
> be wonderful.....
>
> ....in a perfect world, but this is a bizarro
> world if you ask me, and so the legislation is not
> innocuous.
>
> The Consequences.
>
> And I don't trust government; I think they are
> not a friend of us Raw Foodists.

It's all too true that unintended consequences are a big problem, but that's not an inevitable result of government regulation. I mean, look at these forums; they're "regulated" as well, aren't they? And for the better -- no spam, no talking about carnivorous diets (not really, anyway; and I say that as an omnivore, still), topics are generally in the forum they belong in, et cetera.

But what has government done that's so bad to raw foodists?? Now I'm really puzzled. And what does supplementation have to do with going raw?? I've only heard about raw and so forth within the past year or two so it's all still very new to me. In fact, I'd never even thought about it much at all until now!

Posted by: chat ()
Date: April 14, 2012 09:50AM

Tamukha Wrote:
> I like the raw multi from Garden of Life's Vitamin
> Code raw supplement line: I have tried many, many
> different multis in my life, and this is the one
> I've found to be most effective. They are grouped
> by sex and age, I believe, so you can choose the
> one that has the appropriate nutrient profile for
> your needs. Apart from that, I say stay away from
> "drugstore" vitamins--they are riddled with
> synthetics and weird binders and preservatives.

Tamukha which ones did you find to be the best, I am currently choosing between women's formula and raw one for women - and the first one scares me a little bit because of the amount of B12 it packs.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 14, 2012 10:37AM

I wouldn't worry to much as vitamin b12 is a water soluble vitamin, excess will be cleared through urine.

Although if you have severe liver disease or any disorder which causes you to accumulate vitamin B12 i would then give any high B12 supplement a miss.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 14, 2012 01:55PM

chat,

Hiya, I'm using the Vitamin Code Raw Women's daily. The B12 seems high, however, that is for a dose of 4 pills and for a supplement that was designed for cooked food eaters. I don't take a full dose, because I figure, with the high raw I eat, this would cause overload. Halved, it's still a beneficial supplement but not potentially unsafe. I think we are lucky in that, to us, a multivitamin is actually just insurance. The typical SAD eater thinks this of their Centrum tablets in error.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: April 14, 2012 09:24PM

Cheers guys! I've decided to play on the safe side and ordered Raw one for women for now (the ones which you take once a day with less B12).

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 17, 2013 08:38AM

> Hi y'all,
>
> Just wondering whether anyone had recommendations
> for Multivitamins, Omega-3/6/9 stuff...I'm looking
> at brands like Nature's Way, NOW Foods,
> Kirkland...not sure whether they're all the same.
> Too bad that Republican from Utah got the
> supplement industry exempt from FDA scrutiny back
> in the '90s!!
>
> Anyway, your experiences would be helpful;
> thanks....

Two new studies debunk benefits of multivitamins [www.nbcnews.com]

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 17, 2013 09:44AM

not all multis are the same

[health101.org]

Date: December 18, 2013 01:50PM

KidRaw Wrote:

> I think they are not a friend of us Raw Foodists.

Brilliant posts, but it should be:

"WE" Raw Foodists.

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: January 07, 2014 05:03PM

For good natural sources of vitamins i like organic wheatgrass powder, barley grass is also good.

For a natural source of minerals/trace elements which is balanced, then i like kelp.

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: January 08, 2014 03:38PM

For an all in one green superfood supplement then in my opinion Enerfood Green Superfood Powder is best.

Contains algaes such as chlorella and spirulina, sea vegetables such as kelp and dulse. Grasses such as wheatgrass, alfalfa, barleygrass. Nutritional yeast, ayurvedic herbs, bio-flavonoid rich peels and much more.

Very complete and good natural green superfood product.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables