Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does anyone have any good articles on the dangers of Febreeze?
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: October 04, 2011 02:27AM

Trying to request a woman at work not use it anymore as it is making me sick but i think i need to go armed with more information besides it is making me sick... you would think that would be enough but it's not !!!

love laugh and dream
g

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anyone have any good articles on the dangers of Febreeze?
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 04, 2011 09:28PM

Give her an alternative. Mix up purified water with some essential oil of your choice. There's orange, lemon, rose, peppermint..and on and on.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 05, 2011 05:18PM

As it is a Proctor and Gamble product--proprietary formulation--and as the lion's share of research as to its safety has been conducted by the manufacturer--nice--there is almost no information available about Febreze ingredients and their toxicity. It has esters almost certainly, and that may be what you are reacting to.

Believe it or not, a half and half water and cheap vodka ratio works as well. Vodka obviously has volatile compounds in it too, but chances are you can tolerate it better.

Date: October 07, 2011 01:03PM

[www.chemicalsensitization.com]

ok found this article... and no wonder I'm reacting to it... How do they get away with selling this stuff... I think people are addicted to the stuff.... I read on one of the can's under the warning stuff.... to please discourage huffing... so if people use it to get high why do i want to spray it in my house or work environment... and breath it in all day long...

Date: October 07, 2011 03:57PM

luvyuu,

That was vastly scarier than even I suspected. I am sorry that it didn't occur to me to go to the Environmental Working Group's website, for this, of all things. Glad you found an explanation, and hope your coworkers heed this information smiling smiley

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 08, 2011 09:49AM

What an ASTOUNDING list of ingredients!

What irony that this product is marketed as creating a natural scent!!!

With labels that intentionally obfuscate, people have no idea what they are purchasing.

Worse, other people who enter the airspace where it has been sprayed are exposed to this long list of chemicals without their knowledge.

Commercials for this product "made" me wonder what it smelled like. After reading that list of ingredients, hopefully I'll never know. Isn't the power of television commercials to influence the behavior of uninformed consumers frightening?

Thanks for posting the link to the article, luvyuu!

My favorite raw vegan

Date: October 08, 2011 03:28PM

When Febreze first came out, it was touted as safe for pets and children[insert Golden Age of Advertising glittery stars and exclamation points, here]. Almost immediately, a friend who bought some mentioned that her dog couldn't stand to be in the same room when she used it, and wouldn't go into a room in which it had been sprayed. I was like, "Your dog isn't usually stupid, right?" and she was like, "No. I'm getting rid of that stuff in the next hazardous waste recycling drive." She kept it, unused, in the garage until then.

The manufacturers know two things about consumers: We like the idea of free lunches, and, especially in this country, our understanding of science is miniscule; thus we are easily hoodwinked. I cannot set foot in the detergents aisle at the grocery store because I start to wheeze, and I am not chemically sensitive. It's just that my body recognizes toxins when it meets them. It never ceases to confound me that the average person is OK with all this garbage, on a biological level. How?

Date: October 09, 2011 02:15AM

Yeah I was pretty shocked and amazed when I read this list and I even expected it to be bad. Ya know the crazy thing is that the place I work is a healing center... people go there to be healed to do Yoga and breathe deeply... I am doing a work exchange for healing services... and I may have to quit because the stuff they use to make it smell like a nice healing center... is making me sick... ironic...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 09, 2011 03:33PM

Maybe take the initiative and explain to your supervisors what they are doing to their 'healthy' environment and clients health. Have ready a few healthy alternatives for them to try out.

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables