Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Safest Cookware
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: November 04, 2011 07:37AM

So I cook for a family and was wondering what type of cookware is safest to use. Currently I use stainless steel but I imagine it is leeching metals into the food.

Is ceramic the next best thing? Is all ceramic cookware the same? I notice they are cheap so all the better. I would only need 2 saucepans.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Safest Cookware
Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: November 04, 2011 12:35PM

I use glass. They do not make it anymore, Vision, but I find it at flea markets and yard sales.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 04, 2011 12:46PM

Stainless steel is perfectly good, it's not leaching anything into food. Ceramic is generally cooked in a kiln at extremely high temperatures which causes the coating to become as hard as glass, it also should not leach anything into food. Glass ware should be the same but you should know that heavy metals like cadmium etc are used in the production of glass and ceramics.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: November 04, 2011 04:48PM

We use Xtrema Cookware, but it's expensive. It doesn't burn up and set the house on fire if you totally forget you're got something on the stove --

[www.ceramcor.com]

[debraslist.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 05, 2011 03:41PM

Clay, enamel, stainless steel. Glass.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: November 15, 2011 04:37PM

unscratched nonstick cookware also. PFOS and PFOA exposure does not occur with unbroken nonstick.

The worst.... aluminum, polycarbonate (under heat)_

Paul

Date: November 15, 2011 04:48PM

Not nonstick, it's toxic when heated, it doesn't have to be scratched.

Date: November 16, 2011 03:21PM

Coco,

Could you tell me more about nonstick being toxic heated? I didn't know this.

Paul

Date: November 16, 2011 03:43PM

[lowfatcooking.about.com]

[www.ecomall.com]

[www.chasinggreen.org]

[shine.yahoo.com]

Teflon is plastic, heat it even just on high for just a couple of minutes and you're breathing it and it's in your food. Go cast iron and properly season and care for it if you need a non-stick surface for cooking.

Date: November 23, 2011 07:57PM

Coco,

I'm reserving judgment for the moment. But I appreciate the citations. I intend to look further and report back. Best.

Paul

Date: November 23, 2011 08:06PM

I'm just not taking any chances, no plastic food storage containers, no plastic utensils, dishes or cups/glasses, no food in cans or plastic or tetra paks, no teflon, no shrink wrap. Just glass, crockery and stainless.

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: November 25, 2011 01:11AM

If your cooking, Life Time is the best on the market! also lots of $s

Greaseless Cooking
Why use oils and fats when cooking? Because fats and oils keep foods from sticking or burning in the cooking process. With Lifetime® Cookware’s superior construction, there is no need to use fats or oils to keep your meals from sticking or burning. Contact a distributor to arrange a personal demonstration of this remarkable feature.
Removing fats and oils from the cooking process:

Reduces fat intake in your diet
Reduces calories in your diet
Contributes to a healthy weight control plan
Waterless Cooking
Cooking vegetables and fruits without adding water? Yes, it’s true! Contact a distributor to arrange a personal demonstration of this remarkable feature. Minimum moisture cooking with Lifetime® Cookware:

Reduces volume shrinkage and cooking odors
Retains natural flavors and appetizing colors in vegetables and fruits
Retains the maximum amount of vitamins and minerals
Waterless cooking preserves food's flavor and nutients, because these elements are not dissolved or boiled away, as with other cooking methods.

Vitamin and Mineral Retention
Compare the differences on the chart below, showing water covered cooking versus cooking with Lifetime® Cookware's minimum moisture method.

Date: November 25, 2011 02:08AM

You will have to go to Life Time cookware site and see the chart on vits and mins
vs other. study done by Yale Nutrition Laboratory Yale University School Of Medicine. I had a set of Life Time pots and pans food taste so much better
cooked with their product than any other cook ware. price is high, but they back the set for life. It will be the last set you will ever have to buy and you can pas them on with life time backing. I know this is the best you will find in cookware. 10 piece set $2175

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2011 02:20AM by riverhousebill.

Date: November 25, 2011 05:35AM

That's more than I'd pay to buy a whole car! Wow. I have one large pot, one med, one small, one pan (lagostina, sp?) and 2 sizes of cast iron that I hardly ever use.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 25, 2011 05:29PM

I know people that Have their great grand parent cast iron skillets. Imagine if those pans could talk oh the stories they would tell grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2011 05:29PM by Jgunn.

Date: November 28, 2011 12:18AM

Yes a lot of money for cookware, although no other comes close to saving its nutrition value as this LifeTime product. So mabey on that note if your cooking
it may be a bargin if you count nutition levels

Date: November 28, 2011 04:36AM

If I'm cooking and counting nutrition levels I should stop cooking and just eat it raw winking smiley. Cooking is for, well, I don't know what. Getting the kids to eat more veggies I guess.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables