Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Colonic
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 12, 2012 03:22PM

Anyone had one done and if so experience any benefits ?.

It is about the only alternative therapy i haven't tried over the years and i feel it is something i should do, although it does still seem invasive to me lol.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Colonic
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 12, 2012 03:28PM

When I was in my mid-twenties and diagnosed with "incurable" IBS part of my healing protocol was 100% raw for 2 months followed by a 10 day master cleanse ending with a colonic. I feel it was a helpful element of my healing, it certainly worked (and what a shock to find myself so full of junk after 10 days of eating nothing! A revelation) but is something I would reserve for times when it's truly needed. It's not a practice I consider for casual use, as yes it is fairly invasive.
Try it after a fast Chris. Just be sure to replenish good bacteria afterwards (some therapists offer an implant).

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 12, 2012 04:16PM

I did have a series of them done about 2 years after going high raw with some months all raw. I think doing one or 2 a year would be good until you feel you are where you want to be with your diet and health.

I am having much better results with the psyllium husk drinks which I do 2 x a day. I do think I would have done better with the colonics if I had taken psyllium husk for those 6 weeks.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 12, 2012 07:40PM

I had one - and feel absolutely no need to repeat the experience - ever.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 12, 2012 11:05PM

flipperjan, that made me laugh!

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: March 07, 2012 12:00AM

Personally, I don't think it is a natural way for the body to secrete waste. I know they are recommended by many, but it seems very contrary (in my opinion) to how we should care for our body.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 07, 2012 11:14AM

I've had 4 in 4 weeks time. I am new to raw and saw too many posts about this so I decided to get a colonic board.

Is it invasive? Not at all. It comes with very small tips with holes at one end.

What does it feel afterwards? You feel supper calm. The most shocking to me was to find out that somehow the dirt inside plays a role on yoor feelings. After I am done I feel mentally cleaned and recharge. Yes, somehow it gives you energy and you can move around and do things without effort.

Does it take out 10 year old gunk? Not sure, propably not. That's probably hipe.

Did I see big black things come out? No.

Would I buy another one? yes, because it teaches you what being clean feels like and it is actually like yoga. It is an experience like no other.

Would I show it to friends? No. It could get weird and would not underdstand. I prefer to keep it personal.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 07, 2012 07:52PM

Wow,
Interesting overview of colonics.
I have wanted to try them.
But I would need to do them in private.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 08, 2012 07:26AM

I wonder about these sometimes, I know someone who has been raw for over a year and still has trouble with regular bowel movements, sometimes they are delayed. I've wondered if colonics would help or hinder that kind of situation?

I certainly ever haven't gotten one just for the fun of it...

Mono-meloning seems to be a very gentle way to cleanse. (TMI alert!) Eventually, nothing comes out of me that isn't neon pink.

Date: March 08, 2012 01:16PM

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder about these sometimes, I know someone who
> has been raw for over a year and still has trouble
> with regular bowel movements, sometimes they are
> delayed. I've wondered if colonics would help or
> hinder that kind of situation?

I can only tell you my experience. The first three colonic did actually delayed the bowel movement. The last one did not and I feel that I improved in that respect.

In the first three ones, it took me two or three days to regain the momentum. On the last one, the next day I was on track and even better. So I can see how at first colonics would make you think that it messes up your regular movements but if you keep doing them, you'll actually improve (my case). People who only did one colonic may get the opinion that it messes you up, but you need to do more. I acknowledge that things are not simple and this was my experience. Yours may be different.

I preheat filtered water to 107F. I dislike using cold water. I use a huge stainless pot. The temperature gradually decreases during the 50 minutes session, so an initial high temp helps and feels comfortable. I also add half lemon juice to the water.

I think that the invasive argument applies went you do a colonics in a clinic with a big diameter pipe (to see what goes down the transparent tube). But if you do it with the small tubes I mentioned (smaller than a pencil), it is not invasive at all.

Date: March 08, 2012 02:38PM

That's not a colonic, it's an enema. IMO and in my experience, those are two VERY different things.

Phantom, only one way to find out... Be sure to recolonize your gut with healthy bacteria afterwards.

Date: March 08, 2012 03:18PM

I was talking about a colonic board (200$+). 4-5 gallons of water is an enema? Baby Jesus!

Date: March 08, 2012 03:53PM

Well, I agree that's more than a regular little enema. I'd be curious to hear how it compares to a real colonic though, have you had one? It's pretty intense, I've gotta say... very different from a home treatment IMO.

Date: March 08, 2012 05:20PM

I've never had a "clinic" one. But I think the one done with a colonic board is real. The water goes deep deep. What would make a difference?

My first one was the most intense one as I did not know what to expect and more was alert.

Date: March 08, 2012 05:44PM

I may add that with the colonic board you have complete control of the water. It comes with a pinching tool that goes around the plastic inlet tube. That means that you can prevent "bombs" (je je if that is what you mean by "intensive"winking smiley. If it did not have this control, you would be doing explosive bombs (first time).

jeje

Date: March 08, 2012 09:29PM

I think the differences are being able to lay on your side for a colonic instead of your back. Not having to regulate control of the water yourself, being able to relax and let someone with experience who can visually see the progress manage the flow of water. There is an outlet valve that works regardless of sphinter response (which can be to tighten making expulsion of water difficult and/or incomplete). The practitioner I saw was quite good at visually recognizing what was being released as well, I got a good verbal run down of what she observed. I also felt like it was neither underdone nor overdone, that she knew exactly when I was really "done".

Date: March 09, 2012 01:46PM

They seem to have the extra edge over the home colonics. But they are not mutually exclusive. A person could choose to do both types.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: March 09, 2012 11:52PM

First of all waste is excreted from the body, not secreted.

Second, invasive: a colonic (a process whereby a clinitian runs a pressurized water machine to clean the colon) is more invasive than a high enema, but they are both invasive to the body.

I believe the colon should be cleaned, but I find I only do it when I am having trouble with that part, the large intestine, which I sometimes do. I know I could look at the colon as a systemic elimination organ and cleanse more, but I don't.

I prefer that a practitioner who does colonics is good at what they do, have a good touch, and are knowledgable.

Date: March 10, 2012 03:42PM

This a link to vid:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 10, 2012 04:32PM

Erm, I'm a little leary of this video, what's in it...?

Date: March 10, 2012 05:00PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Erm, I'm a little leary of this video, what's in
> it...?

What do you mean, by " what's in it...?"?

Date: March 10, 2012 05:20PM

Weeelll, a video link posted on a thread about colonics...? I'm hesitant to take a peek until I know what I'm in for.

Date: March 10, 2012 08:11PM

lol. it is safe. the title is "Toxic Colon - Dr. Joel Robbins - Part1 1"

Date: March 10, 2012 09:19PM

Ok thanks, I'll give it a look-see smiling smiley.

Date: March 12, 2012 09:27PM

It has to be one of the most unnatural things you can do to your body though surely?

It just seems wrong on so many levels to me - but each to his own smiling smiley

Date: March 12, 2012 10:12PM

Jan, the diet and lifestyle of many people is highly unnatural, it's not all that surprising to me that therapy can include radical treatment sometimes.
I wouldn't recommend this for someone who doesn't need it, you know? But for someone who does, well, it's much more natural than drugs or surgery.

Date: March 13, 2012 10:06AM

Just about everything other than natural food is unnatural. Do you use electricity?

Date: March 13, 2012 10:41AM

Panchito - that's not really an argument is it? - although I understand the point you are trying to make. Actually - we are trying to be as light on the earth as possible and one day we will be off the grid - but that's for another discussion smiling smiley

Coco - yes I see that you have a point there - better than drugs and surgery but what about natural herbs etc to get the bowel going. Wouldn't you suppose that by the time someone has been raw vegan, or even healthy but not raw vegan, for a while they are going to have a fairly healthy bowel anyway.

Sometimes I think people are too keen to try anything that's alternative on the basis that because it is alternative it must be ok. It's a bit easy to get caught up in ones own 'health crusade' and not see the wood for the trees sometimes. I'm sure that not many people eating a very healthy diet actually NEED colonic irrigation - they just want it.

Date: March 13, 2012 02:56PM

Everything in moderation and in it's proper place and time.
For me, I was diagnosed with an "incurable" case of IBS and was really suffering. I was already eating a very healthy vegetarian diet, doing yoga, studying shiatsu, living well. I'm not sure how I got to that state considering my regular habits, I think my body is predisposed to digestive/absorption trickiness.
Instead of taking the pills I was prescribed as the "only help available" *rolls eyes* I found raw foods, went 100% immediately for 2 months followed by a water fast for 10 days and ending with a colonic (it was amazing to me that there was so much waste still in my body). This cured me, completely cured me. I have never had a recurring bout of IBS since, I do sometimes have digestive difficulty with bad combinations, over eating, not eating enough or regularly, and sometimes due to hormones/stress etc.
So what can I say about colonics or other "unnatural" treatments? If you need help, it's there for you. If you choose to spend years attaining that balance without a kickstart I'm not sure the resultant long term stress on your system isn't worse than a colonic or two.

Date: March 13, 2012 04:43PM

I guess it depends on the personal expectations too. Some people give 5 starts ratings to a product but other only 1 to the same product. People are different. Experiences are different.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables