Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help... Gas... Gas ... Gas...
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: March 08, 2012 04:15AM

It's terrible... What can I do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help... Gas... Gas ... Gas...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 08, 2012 05:21AM

Some yoga postures can help.

[yoga.lovetoknow.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 08, 2012 01:17PM

Agree with coco. Also, fast, if possible. I found taking activated charcoal--temporarily--helped a lot when I had a severe gastric crisis(including bloating) at the start of the year. Hope you feel better soon smiling smiley

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 08, 2012 01:44PM

Gas comes from food fermenting inside you (lots of fiber). You need to speed up your bowel movements.

Do this. Drink one bottle of water first thing out of bed. Drink a bottle of water before every meal. Done.

Date: March 08, 2012 02:40PM

Oh, I wouldn't drink a bottle of water right before meals, that dilutes digestive juices and I already have enough trouble with that as it is! Maybe a half hour before a meal I'd drink a glass of water. Not a whole bottle, not for me.

Date: March 08, 2012 03:17PM

well, maybe after?

When I went raw I also got tons of gas. I thought that raw people put up with that but now I know I was wrong. Not sure what made my body change but I think it was the speed.

Some things I do now. I eat slowly. I take my time. I chew up as much as I can. I drink lots of water (more than normal). During the transition from gassy to no gassy, I did not change the type of foods (but now I eat less fat). For breakfast I eat fruits, for lunch I eat fruits, for dinner I eat a 1+ pound salad. I also snack on figs, dates, nuts (after dinner), seeds (after dinner), and avocados (after dinner). No gas or very little.

Hang in there, speed up your bowel movements and one day you'll have very very little gas.

Date: March 08, 2012 03:56PM

No, definitely not after eating. That washes food through the digestive system faster than it can be properly digested. I'm ok with adding a small amount of water while eating, never afterwards though. Drinking and eating, it's commonly accepted, are best done at different times.

Chewing food properly is essential. Blended food makes this step much easier, especially during transition. Sticking with simple meals and observing food combining principles can greatly benefit as well.

Date: March 10, 2012 06:36AM

the strange thing about this particular gas... is my diet really hadn't changed when it started... I have always had gas issues but not in this way... not the ...(sorry if this is gross) super stink bottom farting... it starts around 4 ish pm and doesn't stop til i go to bed... i haven't felt very hungry... my diet right now is evolving... to try and see if i can solve the problem... but i just keep eating less and it doesn't seem to stop it... i fast once a cycle ... i am simiplifying slowly tonight i had cucumber lettuce tomato and avocado... i'm slowly weening myself off of sweet fruits again... because of the acidic reaction it has in my system... it's just so uncomfortable not to mention embarassing... i will try to drink more water but always for me 1/2 hour before or 2 hours after a meal... and no fruit combination with anything... well since i won't be having it that's not so much an issue... tomorrow will be my first day with out it all together... sad smiley
my gas manager needs to be replaced
love laugh and dream

Date: March 10, 2012 03:33PM

Hey luvyuu, how long have you been doing raw food?

I think mixing avocados with anything may create fermentation but not sure. I usually eat them all by themselves aor with fatty nuts. It is very difficult to point out the cause of these things.

Another thing that I did was colonics. They will blow away anything inside (gas, yeast, anything) and will "reset" your GI track. It may have been what helped me (recent raw foodist).

Pay attention to your foods and what effect they create in your body. When your GI track feels bad, try to figure it out.

Date: March 10, 2012 04:33PM

Oh, Luvyuu, this sounds so unhappy. Perhaps Powerlifer might have a little insight? Can't hurt to ask him, he's always been incredibly helpful to me... smiling smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 10, 2012 04:41PM

You might try papaya enzyme tablets or eat some papaya or pineapple as dessert after a meal for digestion. And I'm with Tamukha about the activated charcoal. A little research online about charcoal as it's uses are very interesting.

Also using a probiotic for a month will help plant the good bacteria throughout your gut.

Love,
Prism

Date: March 10, 2012 04:52PM

Prism Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Also using a probiotic for a month will help plant
> the good bacteria throughout your gut.

bacteria (either good or bad) raises the level of gas. I noticed this when taking probiotic pills. A couple hours after the pill + meal and the gas level goes up. Maybe it is related.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 11, 2012 04:38PM

Some things take time and taking a probiotic or rather planting some good bacteria in your gut takes around 30 days.

If someone has a lot of gas and it's ongoing that's a sign things are not right and it may take time to figure what that something is.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 11, 2012 09:17PM

Low stomach acid is one of the leading causes of gas, due to increased fermentation. Bitter herbs on the back of the tongue are what i usually find helpful.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: March 15, 2012 05:32PM

Never eat fruit when there is the possibility that any other food is still in the stomach and wait 20-30 minutes (45 for bananas) before consuming anything else. I've been told apples are the one exception to this "rule". Are you eating food with small seeds (broccoli, berries??) .. sometimes that gives some people problems.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 15, 2012 06:42PM

luvyuu, if you give us the food you eat in a day, and the times that you eat the foods, perhaps this could shed some light as to why you are getting so much gas.

Fats take a long time to digest. If I eat something with fat in it, I won't eat anything sweet (and starch should also be avoided) for at least 4 hours, and 6 hours would be better. The times I do eat some sweet after fat, this results in gas for me.

So what I do is eat all my fruit in the day before I eat a salad, as I usually put a little bit of nuts or seeds into my salad dressing. I eat my salad meal as my last meal.

If you find you want dessert after eating some fat, what you can do the next day is to eat more sweets before you eat your fat, this way you won't have any late night cravings for sweet.

Date: March 18, 2012 04:05PM

Sherry, this is a raw vegan site. Beans in a can are cooked, not to mention full of chemicals.

Date: March 18, 2012 05:41PM

ok i may have found my gas culprit... i have been working with an acupuncturist... and he gives me chinese herbs as well... and though i'm not eating fully yet as i am just finishing up a fast... i noticed that even during the fast i was a lot of movement in my belly... gurgly movement... and farty stuff too... but last fast wasn't like this.... i remembered that i had not taken the herbs during the last one so i put 2 and 2 together and stopped the herbs... the gurgling has stopped and no farts either... like i said i'm still eating lightly so as i get back to my normal way... we'll see if this keeps up... think my AP and I are going to have an interesting discussion tomorrow ... i have other gas problems (belching mostly) but this one was new... and worse... and he's supposed to be helping me...hm curious aye?

love laugh and dream

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 18, 2012 08:02PM

That's weird, luvyuu; glad you are feeling better, though smiling smiley

Date: March 18, 2012 09:30PM

Maybe the herbs were doing some sort of job though, you never know. A practitioner can only work with you and your symptoms, they can't know for certain how your body will react to treatment. Surely this will get adjusted as appropriate now that you know what's causing it. Good that you pin-pointed it anyhow.

Date: March 19, 2012 10:51AM

Were you consuming these herbs whilst fasting though ?.

If so and he has given you some digestive stimulant herbs but you are consuming no food then its likely you have found your culprit.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: March 20, 2012 04:19AM

yes I was taking them during this fast... it's what made me think it was the herbs and not the food i was eating... so we are adding one back in at a time and see if we can find the exact one who knows... i've also been doing the bitters on the back of my tongue for several weeks now... dandelion leaf haven't really noticed a difference though...is there a length of time i should leave it on my tongue???

love laugh and dream

Date: March 20, 2012 01:40PM

Are you taking these pre meal and do you feel the dandelion leaf is bitter enough. Sometimes i don't find the powder for dandelion leaf that bitter, root is better for stimulating bile and the liver, but isn't all that bitter either.

As far as digestion goes most notice benefits pretty much instantly, but it really all depends on what is causing your digestive problems. If it is low stomach acid then many of the nutrients needed for stomach acid production are acid dependant so even though you are stimulating stomach acid release with the bitters there might not be much stomach acid to stimulate.

It can take a while, if you feel they are not being counter productive i would probably continue myself. I found bitters to be an amazing help for my health problems, not only my digestion which was extremely poor but my liver health and hormonal balance/thyroid/adrenals also.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables