Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sodium bicarbinate as deoderant - cancer prevention?
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 12, 2012 10:17PM

Hi, I use sodium bicarb as a deoderant (just brush some under my arms, works a treat) and I was wondering if anyone had seen any info knocking around about whether this could be a good way to alkalise the body... I've heard that some scientists are getting good results fighting cancer using maple syrup and bicarb, so I wondered whether skin absorption would do a similar job... just musing really...of course just the non-usage of regular deoderants would help prevent cancer... but I'm wondering if there are any further benefits to it.. or indeed dangers (from overuse etc)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sodium bicarbinate as deoderant - cancer prevention?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 13, 2012 08:50PM

Hey Lisa,

The skin is meant to remain slightly acidic, the reason for this is not only protection but also to repel opportunistic organisms such as candida which thrive and morph in an alkaline enviroments(hyphal fungal form) whilst an acidic PH keeps candida in its natural harmless yeast form. In which case im not a great fan of messing with the skins PH or other areas of the body which are meant to remain a slightly acidic PH in order to function.

Just my 2 cents of course.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2012 08:51PM by powerlifer.

Date: June 14, 2012 09:03PM

Of course, great point Powerlifer! yes, makes a lot of sense, I always apply oil all over my skin after a shower for that very reason.

I generally don't need to use the bicarb as deoderant that much - only when I'm going to be out all day and need a bit of extra protection. I find a couple of drops of essential oil also works well, so maybe I'll stick to that unless I'm desperate!

Posted by: kratom712 ()
Date: June 17, 2012 06:31AM

hello im a big fan of baking soda.i'm a healer.i can tell you for sure baking will help in the fight with cancer.but you must understand you have to build a strong foundation.i use iodine, magnesium,baking soda,and new borax. if you want a great place for info checkout www.imva.info .one of my favorite thing to do is take a bath with dead sea salt,baking soda,borax,etc. i only do this a few times a week.you can rub diluted apple cider vingear on skin after for a real tonic effect.

Date: June 19, 2012 09:26PM

Thanks for the link kratom712. yes I love a bath with sea salt magnesium and bicarb of soda, very soothing.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: June 20, 2012 11:41AM

For a few years now I haven't the need of any deoderant. I attribute this to a more alkaline than acid diet; hence, less toxins.

Also, a lady friend of mine hasn't used deoderant for many more years than me. She uses perfume occasionally, but it's not to disguise any body odour.

Of course, when we work phyically there's always BO, but I find that it's not offencive. Certainly not like the overpowering pong of a SAD eater grinning smiley

I'm surprised that a raw foodist would have the need for any deoderant actually. I guess it's just to be sure, than an actual need though. Would I be right in saying that???

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 21, 2012 10:52AM

jalanutan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm surprised that a raw foodist would have the
> need for any deoderant actually. I guess it's just
> to be sure, than an actual need though. Would I be
> right in saying that???

Erm, no, you wouldn't. For example, I dance very fast Latin dances, socially, often for 4-5 hours pretty much non-stop into the night. In terms of physical exercise - I think you can compare it with playing football the same hours. It makes me laugh to have to say it, but yes I DO need a deodorant. Or very few people would want to dance with me otherwisesmiling smileysmiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2012 10:54AM by chat.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: June 21, 2012 12:11PM

I dance Latin too smiling smiley and sweat a lot but I don't smell at all, dance all night. I do sweat tons in the gym too (tshirt all wet too) and don't smell at all.

Date: June 21, 2012 12:30PM

Are you sure though?smiling smiley I have no doubt that a healthy raw diet affects the "quality" of how we smell, but removing the smell altogether? What I would be worried about is what smells "nice and natural" to us, may not appear so to a different person.

We get used to how we smell, and so do our partners, children and other people that are close to us. But the dozens of random different people you meet on the dance floor, do not get that chance!smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2012 12:33PM by chat.

Date: June 21, 2012 12:40PM

yes I am sure. I used to smell before raw. Pay attention to drying your clothes right after washing them. If you wait, they may pick up bacteria. Bad smell happens after sweat. Sweat does not smell. I thing that sweating while raw does not feed the bacteria.

I don't smell at ALL and I can smell everything a mile away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2012 12:44PM by Panchito.

Date: June 21, 2012 02:44PM

Panchito Wrote:
> I don't smell at ALL and I can smell everything a
> mile away.

But you do understand the idea that our sense of smell may stop registering a particular "flavour" when we are surrounded by it for a prolonged time? Such as for example your house may have a particular smell, and you won't notice it until you come out of the house to the fresh air and come back inside after a while. I'm not talking about obvious smells, but subtle ones which the body odour can certainly be.

So how do you know that you, who can smell "everything", is not fooled into thinking that you dont smell "at ALL" so by this aspect of our sense of smell?smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2012 02:45PM by chat.

Date: June 21, 2012 02:57PM

Panchito Wrote:
> Bad smell happens after sweat. Sweat
> does not smell. I thing that sweating while raw
> does not feed the bacteria.

The first two sentences - precisely! But why on earth do you think that sweat of raw people does not feed the bacteria? Unless this has been researched and proven it seems way too big of a stretch to me.

The differences in the diet can and will affect the way the person smell, yet eliminate it altogether is very doubtful, unless you can eliminate your skin flora altogether.

Date: June 21, 2012 04:04PM

We are talking about two smells. One is your normal body smell, which is not bad. The other is the sweat smell that is caused by bacteria outside the body. The later is the bad one and the one people try to cover up with deodorant. I cannot pick up my own smell but I surely can pick up foul smell from bacteria. My sweat taste salty and does not taste bad.

Not sure why bacteria odor does not thrive on raw food people. I eat little fat, many calories. No chemicals. Many chemicals occur when cooking food during the Maillard reaction. For example the chemical acrylimide (created when frying,baking) is cancerous and that is why American people are falling like poisoned birds out of the sky, not to mentioned the brain damage it creates (neurotoxin). Hormone levels also change in raw food people (less testosterone).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2012 04:10PM by Panchito.

Date: June 21, 2012 04:31PM

Yep I'm only way too aware about acrylamide. Learned about it recently and was shocked! When we were growing up, we always had an understanding that fried food is unhealthy because of chemicals that are created in the oils, but we were led to believe that baked food was healthy, because it preserves vitamins better than boiling. And then oops, acrylamide in starchy foods, some discoveryeye popping smiley Now baking is a no-no, even if I have to compromise and eat cooked food.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: June 24, 2012 01:23PM

Hey Chat, hard work does bring out BO, but as I've said, it's not that bad. I stand by that, and I'd agree with you that dancing hard for hours would be equivelant to hard work.

Sometimes, for some unknown reason, one underarm is worse than the other??? But still not the bad Pong of a SAD eater.

About the bacteria, I think it depends on the amount of acidic toxins that are released, as to whether there's an offencive odour or not maybe???

Date: July 01, 2012 06:17PM

I used to do a Bikram Yoga class where there were no shower facilities. Of course, after doing a class I was saturated in sweat (plus, I didn't use any deoderant). I just had to dry myself off as best as I could with a towel, and of course change my clothes. I noticed that afterwards I didn't smell at all. My clothes on the other hand were disgusting! I find that the bad smell is caused by the stale sweat drying on clothes, rather than any smell coming from my body. So if I use deoderant - it is mostly to 'disguise' the smell from the sweat drying on my clothes. Sometimes instead of wearing deoderant I simply take a spare t shirt out with me and change if necessary. Also, a couple of drops of essential oil under the arms works really well.

But bicarb of soda really does work a treat! (even though I minimise usage due to the skin pH issue). It can be an irritant though - my boyfriend has been using it the past few weeks, and this morning he had quite bad irritation under his arms. He's not raw though, and we worked out that his diet has been quite acidic over the past few days (processed meat/junk food etc), so I'm guessing that the combination of acidic sweat and alkaline bicarb is not a happy one...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables