Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Copperhead/Snake bites
Posted by: veganrawdude ()
Date: June 16, 2012 06:59PM

I just moved to a rural area which seems to have a High Copperhead snake count. I dislike snakes to begin with, so these things are really creeping me out. I just found a small one in the garage.

Question to you raw foodists/health gurus; What do you guys/gals recommend for a possible snake bite? I would like to be prepared & have items on hand "just in case".

Not being one to run to the Dr. or hospital at first encounter with danger, I usually just nurse my own wounds with alternative therapies.

But snakbite is not something I have had to deal with in the past. Anyone here in a similar situation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Copperhead/Snake bites
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 16, 2012 08:00PM

Did you google this? Everything I've come across says basically the same thing.
A Copperhead snake bite needs medical attention, is extremely painful, and may cause extensive scarring and loss of use. Many people are bitten while trying to kill or handle the snake. Don't take chances -- avoid these snakes.

That said, if you're determined not to go to a hospital for antivenom here's a website with some info.

[kinghurst.net]

Date: June 16, 2012 11:01PM

Hi coco,

I did google beforehand & have found mixed info., particularly in regards to the local medical professionals not knowing much on how to treat venomous bites. Maybe I will get in touch w/ the local hospitals/medical centers & see what they have to say about this.

On a related note, a farmer friend of mine got bit recently by a spider and he didn't know he got bit. Within a couple of days the area on his wrist looked horrible, like someone held a welding torch to it.

The area was peeling/ back & blue, covering his entire wrist area. He went to the Dr. & they gave him antibiotics (pills) to take. It looks nasty still, a month later.

He said there was no pain at all, just intense itching, like poison.

Nature can be a nasty force to recon with...

Date: June 16, 2012 11:19PM

Well, thank Maude for allopathic medicine in cases like that! I'm not a big fan but it sure is handy when there is a serious need.

Posted by: kratom712 ()
Date: June 17, 2012 07:19AM

i would use pure gum turpentine ,iodine nascent or lugols,and high grade lavender oil.BY THE WAY LAVERDER OIL WILL STOP SPIDER INSTANTLY.all those people getting bit by brown recluse spider.nothing the doctors have can stop wound from getting worst.look up turpentine was a universil healing cureall

Date: June 17, 2012 11:53AM

kratom712 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i would use pure gum turpentine ,iodine nascent or
> lugols,and high grade lavender oil.BY THE WAY
> LAVERDER OIL WILL STOP SPIDER INSTANTLY.all those
> people getting bit by brown recluse spider.nothing
> the doctors have can stop wound from getting
> worst.look up turpentine was a universil healing
> cureall

Very interesting stuff. I will read up on the pure gum turpentine & Lavender oil. I also came across a site that touts using Calcium Bentonite Clay to draw the toxins out & promote healing, supposedly without any conventional medical treatment.

I would like to hear from someone who has actually done this firsthand before trying it out in a crisis situation though.

Posted by: kratom712 ()
Date: June 18, 2012 01:29AM

bite by spider,rattle smake.not cure but might save your life .give enough time to get to proper medical attention.i used lavender oil and iodine.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 18, 2012 11:26AM

veganrawdude,

Call around to hospitals and make sure they keep anti-venom in stock. Then learn the snake's habits and avoid them.

IMO, emergency medical attention is warranted for venomous reptile bites--I wouldn't chance a run-in with a monitor lizard on lavender oil, no offense--but natural remedies should be used in less dire situations, and certainly to help the bite wound heal up, etc.

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: June 18, 2012 07:50PM

and see if you have a captured specimen if there are researchers proximate to you who can take the specimen off your hands. There appears to be a protein in the copperhead venom that is useful in fighting breast cancer and other cancers. [www.pbs.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2012 07:53PM by Krefcenz.

Date: June 18, 2012 08:00PM

Erm, not very vegan...
No need to kill snakes, there is a cure for breast cancer. It's called not eating and living garbage winking smiley.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 19, 2012 01:42AM

Please do not have a "captured specimen" to give to researchers--you are not a snake wrangler, veganrawdude!

Date: June 19, 2012 02:17AM

Tamukha Wrote:
> Please do not have a "captured specimen" to give
> to researchers--you are not a snake wrangler,
> veganrawdude!

LOL - No worries there - I'm not about to be a hero! winking smiley

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: June 21, 2012 06:49PM

coco Wrote:
> Erm, not very vegan...
> No need to kill snakes, there is a cure for breast
> cancer. It's called not eating and living garbage
> winking smiley.

Coco,

Milking snakes doesn't involve killing them. It's pretty much catch and release which you would do in a pest control situation anyway. The milking is noninvasive and the snake returns to the environment intact, albeit some distance from the point of conflict. Also, Vegandude wouldn't catch them, that would up to animal control or the researchers. But one way or the other, you can't have copperheads in your garage. So any solution, milking the venom or not is going to involve catch and release which is certainly better than extermination/eradication. Copperhead bites are rarely fatal in humans but can be very unpleasant and painful.

So not very vegan? Maybe. But short of tolerating them and hoping you don't get bitten, there aren't many less invasive solutions.

Kref

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: July 13, 2012 11:53PM

25 to 50 percent of snake bites are dry bites, No venom.
varys some with Pit Viper coral.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2012 11:54PM by riverhousebill.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables