Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Healthiest alternatives to replace mercury fillings?
Posted by: jono ()
Date: July 23, 2012 03:13AM

Anyone know what is the healthiest material to have mercury fillings replaced with?

I know all the composite resin materials look kinda sketchy, tho maybe they are less toxic than mercury.

I was thinking of devising my own filling material, by combining bone-meal powder, a natural resin (perhaps frankinsence), and some type of lipid with a high melting point (perhaps beef tallow) - this might produce a tacky and somewhat sturdy substance that could fill the tooth and maybe the filling would eventually get resorbed and replaced by native dental tissue. I'd imagine this natural filling composite would need to be reapplied every so often as daily masticatory activity would wear it away.

Any other ideas on a natural dental filling material?

I thought about incorporating beeswax as part of a filling recipe ingredient too, but then read that wax, and beeswax is problematic as a "bonewax": [www.ostene.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2012 03:14AM by jono.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Healthiest alternatives to replace mercury fillings?
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: July 25, 2012 03:00AM

I get what they call Eugenol, which they (the dentists) use as a temporary filling. It's clove oil and zinc oxide. It wears down a bit over time, so you can get it 'topped up' or just have a filling that's a bit sunken in. But if it's not 'topped up', you have to be careful some of the tooth doesn't chip off. Anyway, I feel like it's natural and I've never noticed a problem with it.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: July 26, 2012 02:10AM

very interesting stuff, thanks KidRaw!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 26, 2012 05:00PM

I wonder if mercury/silver amalgam is a health issue. I haven't seen much data on it one way or the other. I know that the composite is not for molars, only for front teeth. The resin isn't strong enough for molars.

Paul

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 26, 2012 06:17PM

Paul, all of my and the kids fillings in our molars are composite resin. The dentists here in Canada (that I've seen anyhow) don't use mercury fillings unless you ask. They are a bit less expensive, the metal ones, and last longer as well but most people opt for the "white" fillings that can't be seen.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 26, 2012 10:32PM

Coco,

That's interesting. My dentist claimed that resin was only for the front teeth. But obviously your experience suggests otherwise. I wonder if he was trying to avoid liability or work? who knows.

Paul

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 28, 2012 12:47PM

Paul, I have resin ones on my back teeth, and had them done in metro Detroit.

Date: September 10, 2012 10:55PM

been doing some more research

apparently calcium phosphate cements have been under research as a dental repair material

tooth and bone are made of calcium phosphate in the form of hydroxyapetite

it would be great if calcium phosphate could be used as a bio-identical dental filling material

i emailed a manufacturer in india who makes a calcium phosphate/hydroxyapetite bone graft material called Biograft... hopefully they respond and let me know if their product is suitable as a dental filling material

Date: September 28, 2012 07:38AM

okay, i found another maker of a calcium phosphate cement

the product is called Mimix

it's a powder of both tri-calcium phosphate and tetra-calcium phosphate

the powder gets mixed with citric acid to form a putty

then the putty sets within minutes into a hard cement with a PSI strength around 3300

Mimix is used as a bone replacement material, but i wonder if it could also be used as a tooth filling material

here's the website and a couple videos about Mimix:

[www.lorenzsurgical.com]

The Science of Mimix HA Cement with Dr. Barry Eppley
[www.youtube.com]

Mimix HA Cement Cranial Reconstruction with Dr. Barry Eppley
[www.youtube.com]

Mimix is essentially the same material that teeth and bone are made of, so i imagine it would be way better accepted by the body than the composite resins and other unnatural dental materials

i've emailed a couple dentists and the maker of Mimix to learn more about its potential suitability as a dental tooth filling material

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 02, 2012 12:27PM

I've just had a huge mercury filling in a molar replaced with a composite resin one. My mercury fillings are 20-30 years old and starting to cause problems so my dentist and I are going to embark on a programme of slowly replacing them before problems occur. I'll have to do it as funds allow - so one every 4-6 months. It'll be nice to get rid of them - I had loads done in the 70's and 80's - such a shame.

Posted by: robstar1576 ()
Date: December 03, 2012 07:14AM

Hi Jono,

That sounds great! I had my mercury filling out 1 month ago and am not sure what to fill it with. At the moment I have a temporary filling (ZOE) put in by the dentist. But I don't think this would be a good idea for long term use, I've read a few articles about it's toxicity.

Please let us know your findings about the calcium phosphate cement. It sounds like the best of both worlds because it is simialar to tooth makeup, and the tooth might absorb the minerals to heal itself.

Thanks for the idea
Rob

Posted by: robstar1576 ()
Date: December 03, 2012 07:52AM

I don't get why we have to do our own search to find healthy filling materials. Doesn't it make sense to people who work in the research fields? I just don't get it. Even if these natural fillings are only temporary and need to be replaced often, alot of us would prefer this than any of the super-duper high torsional strength plastic bpa-free. Who cares, it's still foreign to our bodies and it's going to leach. I've had a chronic stuffed nose my whole life. Have had surgery, took sprays, buteyko, homeopathy, you name it. Just to clear up my nose. Nothing worked. Take out the mercury filling, 1 week later, my nose clears up. It's been clear ever since. For the first time in my life, I can breathe! Excuse me if I'm not in a hurry to chuck in some "state of the art" plastic in my mouth.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: December 03, 2012 02:51PM

robstar1576 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> At the moment I have a temporary filling (ZOE) put in
> by the dentist. But I don't think this would be a
> good idea for long term use, I've read a few
> articles about it's toxicity.

Hi Rob,

ZOE is the clove oil/zinc temporary filling I was referring to in my above post. Could you please tell me what you read or provide a link about its toxicity.

[www.wellsphere.com]

Thanks.

KidRaw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2012 02:52PM by KidRaw.

Posted by: kuwait98 ()
Date: May 26, 2013 04:54PM

Hi Jono,

PLease update us with what you chose for your fillings. I am interested in this Mimix idea you said and want to put it for my mother.Have you triedit? Did the dentists say it is suitable? Do you know any dentist who used it successfully?

Posted by: lionoflight ()
Date: September 08, 2013 02:48AM

Hi Jono, I was curious if you ever came to any conclusions on using Mimix as a tooth filler? I've got a massive hole, I've been oil pulling every day and using Ascended Health's products.

I truly believe in the capacity of the body to regenerate even teeth, I'm just not sure how quickly it's going to happen, given that I'm working on a larger hole that a dentist drilled out years ago, in which the filling dropped out recently.

Dentists won't do anything unless I let them drill/root canal - which I'm not doing.

So Mimix, your thoughts? This stuff looks amazing for a tooth filling...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables