Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What kind of Mattress do you sleep on?
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: December 06, 2012 12:27AM

I'm thinking about upgrading to Memory Foam or Natural Latex. If anyone is sleeping on Latex, what Brand do you have?......WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What kind of Mattress do you sleep on?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 06, 2012 11:46AM

I think i am going to upgrade to a memory foam mattress in a few weeks so ill let you know what its like WY.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 06, 2012 01:14PM

I have a foam mattress. It is good. but it is heavy and a real pain to move. So make sure you unpack it on top of the bed. It takes several weeks for it to fill up with air once out of the shipped vacuum.

You could also get a smaller foam top.

Posted by: RawPlease ()
Date: December 15, 2012 05:32PM

I don't have a mattress recommendation and hope this isn't a digression. I sleep on the floor on top of a couple cushiony blankets. Your body stretches after several days so that it becomes comfortable. (Sleeping on your back is best, of course. Even better for your back if you use a small pillow or towel under your knees and lower back.) I did this so that I wouldn't have to worry about the chemicals in mattresses and because "healthy" mattresses are too expensive imo. (The floor is hardwood.)

Date: December 15, 2012 08:56PM

RawPlease Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
...... I sleep on the floor on top of a couple cushiony blankets. Your body sretches after several days so that it becomes comfortable.

That's one way to do it. However, for me, being domesticated, a natural Latex Foam (sap from Rubber Trees) would be a better way. But I may end up with a Tempurpedic Memory Foam....too many decisions......WY

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: December 23, 2012 12:41PM

I know this is a little late but I use an organic cotton and wool mattress from

www.heartofvermont.com

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: December 27, 2012 11:34PM

There are up to 61 chemicals in your average memory foam mattress.

Components used for the production of polyurethane memory foams
Components researched: isocynates; methylene chloride, 1,1,1-trichloroethane; acetone; benzene; ethylene oxide; formaldehyde

Biological Monitoring - Is memory foam safe?
Clinical evaluations conducted by Duke University; Source ATSDR - Public health advisory Public Health Implications: The exact amount of TDI required to cause adverse health effects is unknown. People have become sensitized after being exposed to as little as 20 parts per billion (ppb). After sensitization there is no amount of TDI that one may be exposed to safely. Studies have shown that in sensitized individuals, asthmatic attacks can occur after exposed to TDI air concentrations as low as 0.1 ppb.

Testing Results: Of 113 participants tested, 10 participant (9%) developed antibodies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2012 11:38PM by riverhousebill.

Date: December 28, 2012 11:05PM

riverhousebill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are up to 61 chemicals in your average memory foam mattress.

Thanks Bill for your good information. That helped me decide.
Natural Latex will be my next mattress...now to find a good one. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated......WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 29, 2012 06:06PM

Last time I looked for a new mattress I tried to find a natural cotton futon but didn't have any luck. I don't know when they started to be manufactured with chip foam and layers of other garbage but that's not what I want to sleep on. Guess it's been a while since I went shopping for a new bed. Right now we've got a really hard foam thing, I'm sure it's full of chemicals but it's old enough to have off-gassed some and I do keep a cover on it to avoid abrasion debris. I hope...

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: December 30, 2012 02:47PM

organic cotton and wool mattress (futons) from

www.heartofvermont.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 30, 2012 10:16PM

I did check out their site and it looks great. I just remember in college being able to find that sort of thing (not organic but no foam at least) lots of places. Not to be had anymore, not since they got popular and started being mass manufactured anyhow. Maybe I can afford an organic mattress pad, that would be enough for me. A friend is thinking about having a small single sleeping pad made stuffed with buckwheat husk. I have pillows full of that stuff and while I love them they're a bit crackly. I can just imagine a mattress, lol, you'd wake yourself up every time you breathed too deeply or shifted even the teensiest bit, ha ha ha. Ok, wouldn't be so funny after a couple of sleepless nights but I'm still having a bit of a laugh imagining it.

Date: December 31, 2012 02:38AM

All you Guys are so healthy, you could sleep on a hard floor and wake up refreshed. But if you have a bad Back, like I do, the mattress is most important to relieve the pressure.
I'm leaning towards the Energie Opus, but at $3,511 even I have to draw-the-line......WY

[www.myessentia.com]

Date: December 31, 2012 09:01AM

I just found one I like better, plus it's more affordable......WY

[www.tranquilitymattress.com]

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: January 01, 2013 01:36PM

I'm allergic to wool and latex, so I have the White Lotus all cotton Futons -

[www.futonland.com]

But don't put the mattress on the floor or it may eventually get moldy. We use the wooden frame with the slats. You have to turn them over and turn them around top to bottom every so often so they don't get lumpy.

There are various cotton mattresses at Amazon, but they're not organic, so not sure about the chemicals -

[www.amazon.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables