Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Juicing, juice fasting, fructose, Discuss It
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 11, 2012 08:24PM

[uctv.tv]
"Sugar: The bitter truth", by Dr. Robert Lustig

I just came across this interesting video about what is making us fat as a general population. Essentially (as much as my limited knowledge permits) I understand the premise of above video that fructose by itself without the accompanying fiber as in the whole fruit and sucrose as in white sugar is what is making us fat and sick.

When I read Sugar Blues many years ago the book made so much sense to me. Processed sugar is a poison and very toxic to our bodies. Now this video has me wondering about juicing as raw fooders. Juicing our own whole fruits and/or only drinking the juice as a treat, or as a fast. How healthy are the longer term juicing fasts really? The juice would be the same (except for some small difference in nutrients due to freshness) as drinking any other sugary drink would it not?

Is fruit juice different in sugar content from green juices? I'm beginning to think that Victoria Boutenko did a large service in introducing the world to green smoothies that have all the fiber of the fruits and vegetables used.

So with this in mind, what about those doing the 30 day, 60 day, 90 day juice fasting. I'd like to know how their livers in particular fare during and just after the fast.

I'm also thinking my addiction to sugar keeps me 'in the sugar mode' even when I'm mostly raw. Juices, sugary sweet fruits, dates, etc. The video helped me to understand why even when raw to eat more green leafy veggies, vegetables, avocado and other low glycemic fruits, nuts & seeds, and if I have 'cheats' to stick with things like oatmeal, beans, etc.

Love,
Prism

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juicing, juice fasting, fructose, Discuss It
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 12, 2012 10:18AM

I did not watch the movie but I'll do on the weekend.

I eat lots and lots of fruit. and I can say that fruit does not make you fat. It makes you lean. I think man made frutose (processed) is really bad. But I know people eat gallons of icecream while watching a movie and then they drink a diet coke to 'compensate' The problem is that their minds are full of thoughts that distract them. They live on fantasies and mental movies. For those people, the ones that eat an apple and a gallon of icecream, an apple appears to make them fat because they don't want to abandon the gallon of icecream. They may gulp down a breakfast platter of fries, fried eggs, fried sausages, and canadian lean bacon. But then they 'mentally' compensate with a diet coke on their lunch break. The probem is in the mind which makes the problem invisible to the individual.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 12, 2012 12:41PM

Any food has the ability to make you fat there are no exceptions, just that with some food groups its harder to do. Fruit is not immune to making a person gain weight. Do people really believe they can eat unlimited amounts of fruit and not gain weight? We are starting to see many high sugar raw foodists with high triglyceride levels which is scary considering the diet they follow is low fat. Eat more calories than your consuming of any food daily longterm and you will likely gain weight eventually.

Sugar void of fiber in large amounts has been shown to be a cause of non alcoholic fatty liver disease aswell as the start of metabolic syndrome. Green juices tend to be lower sugar than fruit juices, so they tend to not come with the same blood sugar problems that many get from pure fruit juices.

We can't blame individual foods for obesity and weight gain when it is overall total calories that count the most pending thyroid etc is healthy. But back to the question, juice might be healthy in moderate amounts but juice fasting im not a fan of for the reasons above. People get blood sugar related symptoms such as severe migraines and get reeled into believing its detox.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2012 12:53PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 12, 2012 02:44PM

I'd like to see whatever kinds of tests they could do to see how healthy a person who has recently undergone one of the long term juice fasts (30 days or more) is with regard to their liver, and also uric acid levels.

I also ate lots of fruits when I first went raw and I lost 71 lbs. and felt great. Whole fruits have all the fiber and nutrients unlike juice. The video just raised some questions for me that I find interesting. For one it gave me an understanding somewhat of why I had so much uric acid before I went raw. Also it (the video) may help to explain why some people don't tolerate high amounts of sweet fruits on the raw diet.

Love,
Prism

Date: December 12, 2012 05:29PM

Hey Prism. Congrats on losing 71 Lbs! But be careful when saying that you lost the weight eating fruit without scientific evidence, data, and graphs, as this may make other people furious. Better ask them how you should have lost the weight according with their scientific knowledge. Just kidding smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2012 05:34PM by Panchito.

Date: December 12, 2012 10:47PM

The liver is very tolerant, 10-30 day juice fasting to someone with a relatively healthy liver would probably show very little damage, start consuming lots of juice daily for a year then you might see a difference. I used to heavily drink alcohol daily for years and even then my liver showed little to no sign of damage from convention testing, this doesn't mean its a good thing however.

It doesn't make anyone furious Panchito, its just that the weight loss could be achieved with healthy balance rather than some of these dodgy fad raw diets which are hurting lots of people. Weight loss does not translate to health. You could lose weight on my all alcohol diet too doesn't mean its healthy, just keep within your caloric guidelines if weight gain is a problem.

Thats a great achievement regardless Prism, well done.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2012 11:00PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 13, 2012 12:06AM

The last part of your last sentence Powerlifer, "just keep within your caloric guidelines if weight gain is a problem", is something that the video addresses as to other causes of weight gain.

My original raw food diet when I lost the 71 lbs. included other foods and green juices..not just whole fruits. I had classic gout before the raw food diet (many other health issues too) and that has never returned. I fell off the raw food wagon after 3 years (I was high raw) but it was a slow transition. Now I'm back on and am feeling really good. This time I'm not going to do fresh fruit juices like I used to, but more fruit and veg smoothies. I may do some green juices. After my recent juice fast which helped me kick start to high raw I ran into that video above.

I've been drinking a lot of warm peppermint tea, which helps kill the sweet cravings.

Watch the video if you get time, then leave some thoughts as to what grabbed your interest.

Oh, and today I watched a video on a site called thebestofrawfood.com and a Dr. Leonard Coldwell [www.thebestofrawfood.com] has some interesting things to say about table salt, cancer, ph balance, etc. It's worth the time to watch it.

Love,
Prism

Date: December 13, 2012 12:26AM

I should have said too about Dr. Leonard Coldwell is that I am a skeptic in much of what he has to say. One thing is I never heard before is that table salt is 1/3 sand, 1/3 glass, and 1/3 salt. He goes on to say how detrimental the sand is to our bodies. So, if you take a look at his video be a healthy skeptic. But it is interesting to view.

Love,
Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2012 12:28AM by Prism.

Date: December 13, 2012 11:37AM

Prism Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The last part of your last sentence Powerlifer,
> "just keep within your caloric guidelines if
> weight gain is a problem", is something that the
> video addresses as to other causes of weight gain.

Yeah there are many factors which can impact weight gain which is why i mentioned the main culprit which is an under functioning thyroid, but there are other causes such as adrenal fatigue and hormonal imbalances will all impact weight loss.

I guess it just gets me, weight loss if suffering from none of the above is relatively simple, you don't need often dangerous diets, supplements, fasts etc, these might be quick fire ways to lose weight but they aren't healthy methods of weight loss in my opinion.

I will watch the video in abit and let you know what i think. A raw diet can be helpful, but the main 2 reasons why its so helpful is because it eliminates such a wide range of problematic food groups such as grains(gluten), and because the person increases there intake of fruits, vegetables and wholefoods. Both of the above can be implemented to a more balanced healthy diet, in which you are not going to fall off long term or get ill from deficiencies.

I just don't like seeing people get hurt when its not needed, thats all. I know a counter opinion is not what many want to hear but lots of individuals are getting ill from these raw diets and fasting, so it does need to be said.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2012 11:40AM by powerlifer.

Date: December 13, 2012 02:41PM

Hi PL. Billions upon billions of animals and mammals eat raw. We are just one more and we think we are special. Cook food is so ingrained in the culture that we think we need it and we create reasons. I find strange that you say that raw food makes people ill when I think it is the other way around. But everybody is entitled to their opinion and free to chose. I wish you a prompt recovery on your journey.

Date: December 13, 2012 03:27PM

Panchito Wrote:
> Hi PL. Billions upon billions of animals and
> mammals eat raw. We are just one more and we think
> we are special. Cook food is so ingrained in the
> culture that we think we need it and we create
> reasons. I find strange that you say that raw food
> makes people ill when I think it is the other way
> around. But everybody is entitled to their opinion
> and free to chose. I wish you a prompt recovery on
> your journey.

Hey Panchito,

Except were not wild mammals and nor do we live like them. I can never understand why raw foodists compare themselves to wild animals, the comparison is completely null unless someone wants to go try replicate how a wild chimp lives.

There is nothing wrong with raw, raw fruits and vegetables are great for health. However a diet that consists solely of just fruits and vegetables isn't. You have completely mis-read my point as ive never suggested raw foods are bad and im quite a fan of fruit also as you'll know from my posts.

These strict deficient diets that many of you guys are following however does make many people ill. There are no long term examples, a handful of teenagers who've been doing the diet for a fortnight and celebrity health gurus is not enough to convince me that this new age diet is safe im afraid, the veterans of yesterday now include cooked and animal foods due to health problems. The majority lie about what they really eat then you find out they sustain there health with small amounts of the foods above. People who genuinely do follow the diet end up emaciated, losing muscle mass and malnourished. This is not health.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2012 03:42PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 13, 2012 04:32PM

I don't think the failure for some people to thrive on all raw foods is necessarily due to not eating anything cooked. It has more to do with the limited raw foods they eat and or perhaps the fact that eating a lot of fresh ripe sweet fruits may be a culprit. I base that surmise since I watched the above video in my first post. You know..I'd have to watch that vid again myself and maybe take notes because some of it is complex to me, but the parts I did understand gave me pause about eating too much sweet fruits, fruit juicing, and to do more things like the green/fruit smoothies.

I am of the mind set that one can eat an all raw food diet and thrive but it needs to be tailored on what is going on with your own internal/external body. We may be more alike than not, but we all come to raw foods at different ages, health issues which includes the functioning of our internal organs like our liver.

I'm not saying there aren't people that are perfectly fine with doing the long term juice fasts, or that eating lots of fresh fruits daily for many isn't ok. Just that some may run into roadblocks due to liver issues from eating way too much sweet fruits and or fruit juices. Hence these people and I think I'm one of them, would do better with a percentage that less fructose based. Foods that are low on the glycemic table. Protein rich sources of raw foods, green leafy veggies, green/fruit smoothies etc.

Ok..that being said, this is the most difficult thing for someone with a sugar addiction (including all that sweet fruit we want to eat on the raw diet) can do. It's an addiction, like alcohol without the intoxication part. Short term we eat the fruits, long term we may fail at all raw. Short term get over the sugar addiction by doing 100% raw but without all the highly sweet fruits and long term may be easier to sustain.

At this time I'm concerned with my liver, putting on weight and not losing it, and creating uric acid which also comes from eating too much sugar/fructose.

This is a fun discussion, thanks for participating..watch the videosmiling smiley

Love,
Prism

Date: December 15, 2012 02:10PM

Sorry. I only watched 7 minutes and I could not watch anymore. It is not really about calories in-out. There is what is called mitocondria eficiency. Fat people has lower eficiciency and their dna of the mitocondria mutates and worsens. If they had less intracelular fat, their mitocondria would burn better and it would change its dna (recover). Healthy people with good mitocondria (we are talking about 60+ trillion cells!) burn calories better and feel better because their cells are healthier. Healthy people are able to remove the byproducts of the cellular activities better, so they accumulate less garbage, preventing degeneration. It is not the same to feed big people (with poor celular health) sugar than to feed it to healthy people. Some will pile up grabage while the other will burn better and cleaner. It is easy to make theories about what you cannot see. It is easy to become an expert of the invisible because you only need an opinion and an image. I am guilty of that but make your own opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2012 02:14PM by Panchito.

Date: December 15, 2012 08:54PM

That's too bad you didn't stick with the video..you could go back and just go to around the 43 minute mark. He also has short videos that explain the more interesting points. Those vids are about 8 minutes long.

The guy is a Dr. and is an expert..he's an endocrinologist.

Panchito, it's ok about not sticking out watching the video but it makes it difficult to discuss what the point he/I found interesting..that high sugar intake (processed or juiced..not whole fruits) is just like a high fat diet or a high intake of alcohol does, It's biochemistry and it works for most people that way.

This is why (high sugary sodas, energy drinks, and foods that have added high fructose corn syrup) there is an epidemic of obese babies (43% sugars in baby formulas) obese kids, and obese people.

Anyway, if you would try watching his other short videos you might enjoy those better. [www.uctv.tv]

I had even gone back to watch the long video a 2nd time, that's how important I thought it was to me.

Love,
Prism

Date: December 15, 2012 09:44PM

Yes i agree, every woman i know here is obsessed with the low fat diet at the moment. They purchase all these per-packaged processed low fat foods and they never lose any weight, infact many of them have put on weight. Whilst these yogurts and such may be low fat, if you check many of them they are loaded with simple sugars and sweeteners to make up for the lack of fat.

So overall the food is about the same calories as a natural yogurt but has all these sweeteners, fructose syrups and simple sugars.

But to blame obesity on a single macro-nutrient alone isn't really too fair. The simple fact is people are eating too much and aren't anywhere near active enough to burn off the excess calories.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2012 09:45PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 15, 2012 10:01PM

Powerlifer, that statement right there is what is wrong with our thinking today.
"But to blame obesity on a single macro-nutrient alone isn't really too fair. The simple fact is people are eating too much and aren't anywhere near active enough to burn off the excess calories."

God, I wish I was brilliant in explaining this as the video is. It's HOW the fructose itself is broken down or metabolized by our livers that is the reason for how people are becoming obese on pretty much the same calorie intake as before. If one drinks excess alcohol we know what happens don't we..it's a biochemical process that creates things like liver damage. Well, the video is saying that fructose is not processed the same as sucrose or glucose but it's identical to alcohol consumption. Let's get this straight, I'm not talking about whole fruits that have all the fiber in them to slow down the digestion of the sugars. I'm talking about the damage high fructose sugar causes. Then I wondered rightly so about juicing fruits ourselves and how healthy that really is for us, trying to view it in a raw food perspective.

Love,
Prism

Date: December 15, 2012 10:28PM

Ohh i do agree with that and have researched the effects of high fructose corn syrups as a cause of non alcoholic fatty liver disease. But this doesn't account for a massive portion of people who are obese and don't consume fructose containing foods.

Which is why no single food or macro nutrient alone can be blamed on obesity in my opinion.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2012 10:35PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 16, 2012 01:57AM

Prism,

I am familiar with Lustig's work; he specializes in the treatment of endocrine disorders in mostly obese pre-teens and teens. His research focuses on synthetic high fructose corn syrup, which is metabolized differently by the liver than natural fructose, as found in whole fruits and veggies. He cautions that large influxes of concentrated fructose may over time cause instability in the liver: non cirrhotic fatty liver disease and metabolic Syndrome X, among other things. But remember, his work really concerns artificial, not natural, sugar.

I agree that for a healthy liver, a few days of juice feasting here and there cannot hurt, but that whole foods are preferable to liquidized ones, in general. That's why I'm an advocate of fruit and greens smoothies and of green juices with minimal sugary ingredients. There isn't that much medical evidence that long periods on liquid natural sugar is a dangerous regimen, but if Lustig's work has any bearing on our lifestyle, it is to advise caution and the exercising of comon sense--fruits have tons of fiber and require chewing for a reason, right? smiling smiley

Date: December 16, 2012 04:22AM

He ( Dr. Lustig) doesn't say anything about 'artificial fructose', if there is even such a thing. He takes orange juice as an example and the sugar in it is sucrose and fructose, with the sucrose not causing the problem as it's the fructose that causes the problem. So forgive me if I'm not understanding him exactly, but I watched the video twice and some of his shorter videos too. I'm talking about when the fructose hits the liver as that is the only place it is metabolized he says.

Here is a paragraph from Dr. Mercola:

"While oranges and fresh squeezed orange juice can be a good source of vitamins and other nutrients, it's also very high in fructose. In fact, one eight-ounce glass of orange juice has about eight full teaspoons of sugar and at least 50 percent of that sugar is fructose. That's almost as much as a can of soda, which contains approximately 10 teaspoons of sugar."

He goes on to say, "Fructose has been identified as one of the primary culprits in the meteoric rise of obesity and related health problems, and while the majority of the problem is caused by the large quantities of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) added to so many processed foods and beverages, naturally-occurring fructose in fruit is also best avoided if you're struggling with stubborn weight issues or any of the diseases I just listed."
_______________________________________________________________-

So, what I'm trying to get at this may be one reason some people have a harder time on lots of fresh sweet fruits on the raw food diet and especially if one juices or juice fasts often. I would say less problem with the whole fruits of course, but caution would be something I'm now advise about doing lots of fresh fruit juices even if you are doing your own juicing. Green juices would be a better choice.

I find it ironic too that recently I went on a couple day orange juice fast and was cautioned as to doing the fast and was told by at least 3 people to use green juice instead. I really didn't think that the fruit juicing would be something I should be cautioned about. But it clicked with me when I came across the video by Dr. Lustig. Now I agree..green juice is a better choice.

High fructose corn syrup..very bad..most of us can understand that. But fructose in juices reacts the same way in our bodies no matter where it comes from.

Love,
Prism

Date: December 16, 2012 11:03AM

Whilst the fiber in fruit helps, an excess of fruit can still cause high triglycerides. We are starting to see many high fruit raw foodists who are low to no overt fat but blood tests are showing high triglyceride levels.

I have agreed for years with Lustig on juice. The odd green juice daily would likely be little issue in a otherwise healthy diet. But there is potential for problems in those who juice feast, consume large amounts of juice a day or otherwise have a high sugar diet.

Saying that i still go with my opinion that we cannot blame one food for obesity, diabetes or any other lifestyle related degenerative disease. It often takes a combined effort and being sedentary plays a huge role in all of the above. Whilst sugar may be a problem for one individual's obesity, it may be an excessive fat intake that causes the next persons weight gain. However it is very worrying how many foods contain HCFS and how the latest fad seems to be high sugar diets. People preach about the side effects of high fat diets, whilst completely ignoring the detrimental effects of high sugar diets.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2012 11:06AM by powerlifer.

Date: December 16, 2012 02:11PM

Thanks Prism. I did watch around the 43 minute. The thing he mentions about 'browning' sounds to me pure BS. for browning to occur blood would first boil (high temp at +290F). He says that the pee changes color and he calls that Browning! haha what a joke.

Let me tell you a little about human mind and science. The human mind Loves stories to the point that it creates them out of the blue. Scientist have human minds and they are human. I met this rreal doctor that he was telling everybody about not eating fruit to prevent cancer even when the person did not say he had cancer. This doctor look emaciated, lifeless, wearing a scarf on summer due to his low metabolism. If you hadn't seen this person on real life and only see his credentials and stories, you would have fall on his own created mind trap. We are all humansd and we all love to create and sell stories, specially people who talk about invisible stuff. He is probably partially right but there are millions of variables.

Date: December 16, 2012 02:47PM

Alot of this isn't invisible stuff though Panchito, much of what Lustig hypothesizes has been proven in studies such as with pure fructose being a cause of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and a contributing factor in causing metabolic syndrome.

We have to look at this in context though, the above doesn't mean consuming fruit is bad or even necessarily juices in moderate amounts. Problems usually come from high and excessive intakes long term.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2012 02:51PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 16, 2012 02:57PM

hehe. people see what they want. Explain this:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Clinical studies

In 1971, a short-term study by B. J. Meyer was published in the South African Medical Journal[19] describing how lipid profiles and glucose tolerances improved on a particular fruitarian diet.[20] An earlier 1971 study by Meyer tested a 45 year old teacher who claimed she had eaten only fruits for the past 12 years, who was found to be in "excellent health".[21] In a further trial in the study, body weights of overweight subjects showed a tendency to "level off" at the "'theoretically ideal' weight".[22]

Date: December 16, 2012 03:11PM

The study you linked has nothing to do with fructose and its implication as a cause of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

As to glucose tolerance and lipid profiles i have no doubt that a fruitarian diet could initially improve these values for an individual coming from a poor diet. An increase in fruits and vegetables does this regardless though, there is nothing magical about it coming from a fruitarian diet. Increase your intake of fruit and vegetables and you will likely improve many blood test markers in regards to heart disease, largely through the fiber content of these foods. Check these lipid and glucose tolerance long term though from a fruitarian and you will likely see a massive difference and increased triglyceride levels from the excessive sugar like we are starting to see many complain of on the high fruit forums.

One small and SHORT TERM study is nothing also, there are paleo high fat studies showing how the paleo high fat diet reversed insulin resistance. Context is key and you are right people see what they want to see regardless. The diet is too imbalanced and deficient to be healthy long term, many seem to go through a honeymoon period though which often seems to taper off quickly. I really do believe the blinding euphoria many often experience in the first few weeks/months is just a massive sugar high/rush. I lived my whole teenage life in a sugar high bubble constantly buzzing on fizzy drinks, sweets and sugary treats and it really does seem to significantly lower cognitive ability.

STUDY: High Sugar diet lowers cognitive ability, protein and fats improved cognitive performance [www.mayoclinic.org]

"A high carbohydrate intake could be bad for you because carbohydrates impact your glucose and insulin metabolism," Dr. Roberts says. "Sugar fuels the brain — so moderate intake is good. However, high levels of sugar may actually prevent the brain from using the sugar — similar to what we see with type 2 diabetes."

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Panchito Wrote:
> hehe. people see what they want. Explain this:
>
> [en.wikipedia.org]
> l_studies
>
> Clinical studies
>
> In 1971, a short-term study by B. J. Meyer was
> published in the South African Medical Journal[19]
> describing how lipid profiles and glucose
> tolerances improved on a particular fruitarian
> diet.[20] An earlier 1971 study by Meyer tested a
> 45 year old teacher who claimed she had eaten only
> fruits for the past 12 years, who was found to be
> in "excellent health".[21] In a further trial in
> the study, body weights of overweight subjects
> showed a tendency to "level off" at the
> "'theoretically ideal' weight".[22]

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2012 03:24PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 16, 2012 03:33PM

we could play ping pong sending articles. but look at the whole forest, not a single tree. I think 'some' people get fat on the 801010 because homones. My unproven solution is to eat more protein (like more oranges) and Zinc.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 16, 2012 03:36PM

Prism,

Lustig's work does focus on HFCS; I think he refers to fructose generally for audience comprehension purposes, but his research has not concentrated on childhood metabolic problems from high fruit diets--these don't exists. It isn't natural fructose from fruit that taxes the liver, according to this video. It's HFCS.

Lustig has tended to conflate the "fructose" with "HFCS" in some of his lectures because commercial fruit juices, etc. contain synthetic[modified]fructose. Most commercial juices are not just squeezed, filtered fruit. In any case, his work deals mainly with modified sugars in soft drinks and snack foods, as these are the worst offenders. He and Mercola--mind you, I haven't checked the latter's site in a while--do not ever recommend that people eliminate fruit from their diets. It's the form of fructose Lustig warns about.

I agree with powerlifer that over time, large intakes of fructose can tax the liver, as sugar is converted to fat for storage. Maybe an excess of even natural fructose consumption without adequate activity and comprehensive macronutirent intake can result in elevated triglycerides and low density lipos, but there isn't concrete research on this.

A subjective account: I have elsewhere on these forums described how, a couple of years ago, I undertook a watermelon juice feast for August. The first three weeks I felt great, just great. The last week, I became slightly jaundiced and sluggish. I have had slight liver dysfunction in the past due to an infection, so I know when it's having problems. I stopped juicing the watermelon flesh, and started back on lots of green juices and green apples, and within a week, no more symptoms. My annual physical a couple of weeks after that showed slightly elevated triglycerides but by the next year, after eating lots of sweet fruit but also lots of greens and limiting starches, they were back to normal.

We should all be consulting a clinician for bloodwork occasionally, but IMO, it really matters to just listen to what your body is telling you.

Date: December 16, 2012 03:47PM

Oranges as a quality protein source ?. Other low fat cooked vegan diets like Dr McDougalls don't seem to run into the common problems that 80/10/10ers do. The reason is probably because the diet is more rounded and is higher in protein with the inclusion of some beans/legumes. Dietary balance is essential, fruit is good everyone knows that. But a diet mostly consisting of fruit, id disagree.

The whole problem is the diet is hugely imbalanced and far too low in fat/protein and nutrients such as zinc, far too high in copper etc. People gain weight on high fruit diets because there often told to eat 1000's of calories more than they need. An average woman who is relatively active should not need to stuff themselves with 4000-5000 calories daily.

As i ask every time where are the millions or even thousands, id settle for a hundred thriving long term high fruit raw foodists. We have a handful of examples mostly people in there early 20s, most on the diet less than a year and people are somehow convinced this diet is the messiah with no evidence to prove effectiveness or safety long term.

People have lost touch with what a healthy diet consists of in the 21st century and we have been ruined by a lifestyle of over-indulgence. The mountains of professional athletes playing at the top level of there sport every year must be doing something wrong though.

Fat or weight gain would be the least of my worries on a raw high sugar diet. Id be worrying more long term about malnutrition, liver health, lack of insulin secretion and pancreas health. We recently had the first ever clinical finding of ketoacidosis secondary to starvation wait for it, all because of the patients fruitarian diet. We will only continue to see a rise in these type of findings, as these diets get more popular.

1. Causso C, et al. Severe ketoacidosis secondary to starvation in a frutarian patient. Nutr Hosp, 2010; 25 (6): 1049-1052.
View the free full text here: [www.nutricionhospitalaria.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2012 03:55PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 16, 2012 05:23PM

lol PL, from a crazy dude you draw a whole world. If they based science on crazy dudes in hospitals they would have make illegal all diets. Count how many die from the "approved" diet. Why they don't make studies about how many pills they need to keep them alive? Why chemical drugs are normal but not fruit?

"A 35 year old male patient with a medical history of
three previous admissions to psychiatric units was
brought to the Emergency Room via ambulance, presenting
with behavioural disturbances, including aggressiveness
and voluntary complete fasting for over a
week."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2012 05:37PM by Panchito.

Date: December 16, 2012 05:39PM

So because the patient has a past history of mental illness we have to render him completely useless. The point of the study was that we haven't witnessed this clinically or scientifically before other than secondary to starvation. So the fruitarians have accomplished something new here, ketoacidosis which is highly worrying for a diet that is claimed to be the most alkalizing.

Did you read the study ?, the ketoacidosis occurred due to a lack of insulin secretion, because his body could not tolerate all the sugar.

Look at his blood work the usual culprits low total protein, low folate and vitamin D. But surprisingly his B12 level is better than average, probably from all those b12 supplements and injections that are recommended on a fruitarian lifestyle.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2012 05:40PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 16, 2012 07:15PM

hmmm. PL, if this poor fellow had mental problems, his judment was impaired. If you give me your diet style (which I don't think anybody here knows) I'll save you!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables